• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Is this initiation of force?

Started by memenode, June 12, 2008, 09:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

memenode

I have a question and it is directly tied to the present circumstances in my life.

My sister wants to become a policewoman. And she just found out that in order to become one, after some first physical tests she will need go pass a security check, which apparently involves questioning me as well because I live in the same flat, albeit the questions should I assume mostly relate to her rather than myself.

Truthfully, though, I do not want to be questioned. I also run a little business which is still not registered. The flat taxes here are too high to afford, and I'm not yet making enough money to cover for it. In addition, as a voluntaryist I am not too eager to let them steal my money anyway!

So you can see how this security check is something that would make me worry. I can't know for sure what kinds of questions will they ask and whether they wont submit some sort of a report to concerned authorities about my tiny business... So I feel slightly threatened for my well being.

Now, since according to the law this security check must be done if she is to become a policewoman, and the law is en<em>forced</em> therefore leaving me no choice in the matter, can her persistence to nevertheless go through with it be considered an initiation of force upon me?

I'm not asking because I want to fight her or anything like that. I'm asking because I want to know, should the worst happen and I get stolen from (fined), would I be in the right to at some point consider her indebted to me (reparations)? Or is perhaps only the state the one which is indebted to me, or both?

At the very least it's a matter of clearing this up so I have a better understanding of when initiation of force happens and when it doesn't.

Thank you.

Vitruvian

Why should you feel required to tell them the truth?

David

Thats a toughie, as this involves your sister.  The best thing to would be to not talk to them.  This would protect you from not accidentily saying something that could get you in trouble.  Also it is safer than lying or trying to be evasive but mostly truthful.  Lying, or being invasive is hard because it is difficult to remember exact details.   
They won't 'clear' you as a security risk, but they won't call you one either.  They will ask why you do not want to talk to them, maybe give them one excuse, and only one, that you are a private person and wish to remain private.  Then smile and politely but firmly state that you have no more to say.  
Good luck.   :-\

Jim Johnson

It's not the initiation of force.

You don't have to talk to them.  http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865&hl=en

You don't need to talk to your sister ever again either. 

K. Darien Freeheart

Yeah, I'm pretty much going to have to agree with Facilitator.

You don't have to talk to them. Your sister shouldn't be putting you in a situation where you have to lie and the government shouldn't be putting you in a situation where you have the tell the truth. :P (Or is it vice versa)?

That said, your sister wants to be a cop - perhaps the most visible agent of governmental violence there is. As sad and as harsh as it is, this kind of invasion is just the beginning for what she's about to undertake and it's something you've come to see as disgusting.

I'm sorry for you, man.

Vitruvian

Quote from: Facilitator to the IconYou don't have to talk to them.

If I recall correctly, gu3st lives in Croatia; he may not have a choice whether to speak with the police there (I am not acquainted with the Croatian legal system).

Quote from: Facilitator to the IconYou don't need to talk to your sister ever again either.

Give her a choice: either she joins the police, or she continues to be your sister.

memenode

I think refusing to talk to them is a good idea actually and I think I am entitled to it here, but I'd have to check.

However, because of other (financial) reasons it seems she decided to not go through it this year, but insists that she still wants to try next year if possible. She is apparently in quite a disagreement with me, though it's hard to talk without encountering some sort of a blockade. She doesn't really care what I think. It's her decision and that's it.

It's worth mentioning we aren't usually on a bad foot. We have quite good relations. This issue is probably the biggest disagreement we ever had and hence the first time in a long while that we really have to almost fight words with each other.. But from the looks of thing there doesn't seem to be much hope of convincing her.

I don't know.. the issue will probably quiet down a bit in the following months, but it's probably gonna bother me. Sometimes I think I should live with absolutely noone, not even family members (and I'm not exactly building my own family yet either). Being a voluntaryist, relative to almost everyone around you almost feels like being borderline insane... I can imagine what she might be thinking... perhaps that I went totally nuts now.. when the rest of the world sees police as a normal thing I'm making a big deal of it. I can freaking understand that!

But if I just conform like the rest then who the hell am I if not just another drone with a slightly modified configuration (liking that, disliking this, but still owned by the state)? Am I supposed to just doublethink it away?

Of course not!

And so conflicts like this can happen. I guess I have to learn to live with it.

Thanks everyone for your advice.