• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Portsmouth Sobriety Chckpoint

Started by epb, June 15, 2008, 10:56 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

epb

Hi.  New to the forum.  I've been an occasional lurker, but when I saw this, I decided it was time to join and post.  I've seen some old posts about sobriety checkpoints in the past, but doesn't look like there's been one in about a year and am hoping to start it back up.  From seacoastonline:

http://seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080615/NEWS/80615001

Basically, 800 people stopped.  10 arrested.  The best part is, aren't they supposed to issue a press release whenever one of these is held saying when and where?  If they did, it's not on the Portsmouth Police website.  Just some vague release about how they will have them this summer.  Oh, but I'm sure it was announced on some AM radio station at 2 in the morning.   ::)

Kat Kanning

doobie

as I was leaving PorcFest last night it looked like they were setting up something on Rt. 3/11a near Tilton.  There were like 8 police cars out there.  I was going to call in Porc411, but I had no service.

Free libertarian

Lots of cops around the Meredith area today.  I wonder if the sobriety checkpoints around the state are due to all the motorcycles in the state for  Bike week.  Probably a good chance for police to ring the cash register as alot of alcohol seems to get consumed this week.

I've been opposed to the check points for some time now. If anyone has any info. on how "they" got this legal and can point me to any references or history on it I'd be interested in learning about it.  It's obvious to me that the temperature on the soon to be boiling frog went up several degrees when this kind of stop got "legalized".  I'm not sure if I'm ready to venture forth in my old car to challenge this but I'm thinking about it...trying to work up the courage to stand up.  I guess this is an example of a free country, innocent until proven guilty huh?  ::)

KBCraig

Quote from: doobie on June 15, 2008, 04:03 PM NHFT
as I was leaving PorcFest last night it looked like they were setting up something on Rt. 3/11a near Tilton.  There were like 8 police cars out there.  I was going to call in Porc411, but I had no service.

There was one north of there, at Holderness:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=fd5ac1f8-3c24-45bc-b29c-274bcafbe999

State Police roadblock stops 187 for six arrests

State Police arrested six people during a weekend sobriety checkpoint set up in conjunction with Holderness Police along Route 3, just south of Golden Pond Country Store.

During the four-hour check of vehicles, which started Saturday night at 10 p.m. and ended Sunday at 2 a.m., a total of 187 drivers were stopped. All motorists that were not impaired continued through the checkpoint after producing a valid driver's license and vehicle registration.

Arrested were: Pedro Pabon, 24, of Meredith, for endangering the welfare of a child; Mark Therrian, 37, of Cossayuna, N.Y., for operating after suspension or revocation; Edward Preston, 57, of Bristol, for driving while intoxicated; Craig Anderson, 37, of Algonquin, N.Y., for driving while intoxicated; Russell Brodeur , 44, of Campton, for endangering the welfare of a child; James Cole, 34, of Plymouth, for possession of drugs; Herbert Schulz, 30, of Haverhill, for driving while intoxicated; Leandrew Berrio, 18, of Norwalk, Ct., for unlawful transportation of alcohol.

All were released on personal recognizance bail and are scheduled to be arraigned in Plymouth District Court on July 11.

If you counted along, you noticed that exactly three were arrested for DWI, out of 187 stopped. That's 1.6%. And this was a Saturday night from 10 pm to 2 am, when they warn us that everyone on the road is plastered.

Pat McCotter

The "endangering the welfare of a child" is probably for not having them in a seatbelt or child seat.

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat McCotter on June 16, 2008, 09:59 AM NHFT
The "endangering the welfare of a child" is probably for not having them in a seatbelt or child seat.

That's what I figured. I also figure the "transporting alcohol" and "possession of drugs" were not in plain sight, so searches were involved.

error

If you see a sobriety checkpoint, be sure to call Porc-411.

Checkpoint

QuoteI've been opposed to the check points for some time now. If anyone has any info. on how "they" got this legal and can point me to any references or history on it I'd be interested in learning about it.

I've been putting together information on various types of checkpoints on my website at:

https://www.checkpointusa.org/Checkpoints/checkpoints.htm

Free libertarian

Quote from: Checkpoint on June 22, 2008, 04:08 PM NHFT
QuoteI've been opposed to the check points for some time now. If anyone has any info. on how "they" got this legal and can point me to any references or history on it I'd be interested in learning about it.

I've been putting together information on various types of checkpoints on my website at:

Thank you for info.  May I use some of the data here to help write an article regarding check points and loss of our rights?   

Checkpoint

QuoteI've been putting together information on various types of checkpoints on my website at:

QuoteThank you for info.  May I use some of the data here to help write an article regarding check points and loss of our rights?

Please do.