• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Who's coming to Burning Porcupine

Started by Kat Kanning, June 18, 2008, 05:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: maulotaur on June 21, 2008, 08:48 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 19, 2008, 05:32 AM NHFT
Burning Porcupine is not for the meek or for those who will not venture out into the wilderness.

HEY - I'm not venturing into any wilderness now...that would be dangerous and I couldn't be meek anymore.  And anyway, I already had my venture into the wilderness [ . . . ]

;D :o 8) ;D

Russell Kanning

Quote from: John on June 22, 2008, 02:51 AM NHFT
Burning Porcupine is not for the meek or for those who will not venture out into the wilderness.

HEY - I'm not venturing into any wilderness now...that would be dangerous and I couldn't be meek anymore.  And anyway, I already had my venture into the wilderness [ . . . ]

;D :o 8) ;D
Sad to see a person waste time, effort, and money.
Shouldn't happen to anyone coming to the porcupine recreation area. :)

Free libertarian

HEY - I'm not venturing into any wilderness now...that would be dangerous and I couldn't be meek anymore.  And anyway, I already had my venture into the wilderness last year when I took my Dodge sundance onto an unmarked road to get around a mountain.  The road turned into fine gravel and then as it started going up and around, the rocks got larger.  Rather than try to turn back, I decided to keep going since the map showed a dotted line supposedly looping back to a road.  Well guess what - it did not lead back at all and I ended up having to get out and move rocks every few yards or so for the next couple of hours.  Then I got to place with small dirt mounds that I had to get around.  At one point the car was stuck and I turned it off, got out to look around, and saw the remains of a very old rusted car down below in some trees.  Then I just screamed... ARGHGHGHGHHHH!!!!!  "I'm not getting out of here"  I waited a few minutes and decided to try something - drive it forward and reverse while turning the wheel slightly to rock the car back out of the pit.  That finally worked and I was on my way until I came upon this large (small lake sized) puddle of water.  It didn't look too deep but it probably was not flat on the bottom either.  Anyway, I got this far so what the hell.  I backed up, and put the pedal to the metal to drive through it and by some miracle I got to the other side.  If that wasn't enough, next came the fallen tree across the road.  There was just enough space between the end of this tree and the edge of the path (dropped almost straight down out of sight) to ram my way around, scraping the side of the car.  By then it was dusk and I thought that I might be spending the night. Fortunately about that time, the path emerged back onto a relatively flat, unpaved road leading out.  Only damage was a busted headlight, torn-off muffler attachment, and my nerves.  I am not sure that setting a porcupine on fire would have made it worth the trouble either.

If you start hearing the sounds of dueling banjoes...you'll know you've gone too far.    :help:

Free libertarian

HEY - I'm not venturing into any wilderness now...that would be dangerous and I couldn't be meek anymore.  And anyway, I already had my venture into the wilderness last year when I took my Dodge sundance onto an unmarked road to get around a mountain.  The road turned into fine gravel and then as it started going up and around, the rocks got larger.  Rather than try to turn back, I decided to keep going since the map showed a dotted line supposedly looping back to a road.  Well guess what - it did not lead back at all and I ended up having to get out and move rocks every few yards or so for the next couple of hours.  Then I got to place with small dirt mounds that I had to get around.  At one point the car was stuck and I turned it off, got out to look around, and saw the remains of a very old rusted car down below in some trees.  Then I just screamed... ARGHGHGHGHHHH!!!!!  "I'm not getting out of here"  I waited a few minutes and decided to try something - drive it forward and reverse while turning the wheel slightly to rock the car back out of the pit.  That finally worked and I was on my way until I came upon this large (small lake sized) puddle of water.  It didn't look too deep but it probably was not flat on the bottom either.  Anyway, I got this far so what the hell.  I backed up, and put the pedal to the metal to drive through it and by some miracle I got to the other side.  If that wasn't enough, next came the fallen tree across the road.  There was just enough space between the end of this tree and the edge of the path (dropped almost straight down out of sight) to ram my way around, scraping the side of the car.  By then it was dusk and I thought that I might be spending the night. Fortunately about that time, the path emerged back onto a relatively flat, unpaved road leading out.  Only damage was a busted headlight, torn-off muffler attachment, and my nerves.  I am not sure that setting a porcupine on fire would have made it worth the trouble either.

Lex

That actually sounds like a lot of fun! I've even gotten stuck a couple times in my old Subaru doing similar stuff (and had very generous people come pull me out). Nowadays (in a newer subaru with a few inches more clearance) I carry a heavy duty come-along and two 20ft sections of 10k lbs rated webbing, so hopefuly I can get myself out of just about any ditch now (provided there are trees or other things around I can attach the come-along too.) Good times, good times!

Kat Kanning

If you want a wild ride in the backwoods, have Lex drive you up to the top of the mountain!  :o  Great view up there.

maulotaur

Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 23, 2008, 08:00 AM NHFT
If you want a wild ride in the backwoods, have Lex drive you up to the top of the mountain!  :o  Great view up there.

Definitely...I love tops of mountains and with nice views!

Russell Kanning

so what is the overnight and daytripper count for the big middle weekend now?

jaqeboy

Btw, anybody invite "bunk" (Amy Bunker), the New England rep for Burning Man? I think I have her email here somewhere.

jaqeboy

Here she is:    "amy bunker" <burningbunker@gmail.com>

Russell Kanning

Quote from: jaqeboy on June 26, 2008, 01:32 PM NHFT
Btw, anybody invite "bunk" (Amy Bunker), the New England rep for Burning Man? I think I have her email here somewhere.
not me .... she must like burning men

jaqeboy

I'll write her and invite her. I've been meaning to contact her anyway.

Puke

Burning Porc could become Burning Man East.  8)

jaqeboy

Yeah, with a presence known as AltExpo #2.2 and more AltJava (3 lbs left)

jaqeboy

sent to bunk:

Hi, Amy,

I'm one of the people that read your posts to the burning man nh list, but
probly won't be going to BM.

Thought you should know about this event that a bunch of Porcupines are
putting on. (Porcupines are Free-Staters - people moving to NH to help in
the freedom movement). It's intended to be a kinda fun camping out thing,
so you're invited. Here's their site:
http://burningporcupine.com/news.html. I'll be there some of the days.

I've been meaning to contact you anyway on other things, but this email is
a start.

Jack Shimek
Deerfield and other N.H. points.

I'll let you know what she says - maybe we'll get all the N.H. burners to drop in for a while!