• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Expo Hours

Started by Kat Kanning, June 18, 2008, 05:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

What's the future of the Expo Hours?  Were they only good during Alt Expo?  http://expohours.com/ doesn't work for me.

Kat Kanning

Could people start getting expo hours for work being done preparing Burning Porcupine at these weekend work parties?

jaqeboy

Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 18, 2008, 05:07 PM NHFT
What's the future of the Expo Hours?  Were they only good during Alt Expo?  http://expohours.com/ doesn't work for me.

Yeah, we just registered the domain name, but I think I can get Fred to set it up as a drupal site so I can upload stuff to it. We officially closed the "doors" on the Expo Hours System Sunday at 1PM, though we took one later exchange Sunday before I left the campground. I'll do a summary report and upload it to the Expo Hours page for review.

We formed a 3 member Board and voted on policies, etc., which I could also post. We entertained the idea of continuing, but I think everyone is just getting settled back in to the work world right now and I haven't talked to the other Board members. We mentioned a possible 2nd issue of certificates if we continued. That would be with better paper and inks, etc., and maybe the advertizing on the back that I had mentioned to you.

I will be giving a presentation on the outcome of the experiment at AltExpo at a community meeting in Barnstead on Saturday - they seem really interested in implementing something like this for local use in their town. I can post the outcome of that meeting  on the expohours.com site, too.

First, I just have to do the closing books and write the report. I can see if the existing Board would like to authorize another issuance of the same first issue certificates - they're not worn out or anything. I think it would be very cool to continue the experiment into Burning Porc and at other events or just daily life. Anybody else have any feedback to offer on this?

Lloyd Danforth

Perhaps that was the plan, but, I was surprised to see people cashing them in for  FRNs

Russell Kanning

I could go for one that is hour based not silver or FRN based.

Maybe we could call them something that doesn't tie them to the event.

I was thinking of something like Shire Karma Credits or Hours.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on June 19, 2008, 07:14 AM NHFT
Perhaps that was the plan, but, I was surprised to see people cashing them in for  FRNs

That was what we offered as a way to get people to take them as merchants - Ron said "I'll take them as long as I can convert them to something I can pay the mortgage with" - good statement of the issue.

There will be a transition, since some folks have to pay some bills in other currencies, like FRN's. The reason to build up and develop and promote the "alternative path", though, is so we have to use the FRN's less and less, eh?

jaqeboy

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 19, 2008, 07:38 AM NHFT
I could go for one that is hour based not silver or FRN based.

Maybe we could call them something that doesn't tie them to the event.

I was thinking of something like Shire Karma Credits or Hours.

I'm cool with going off the "Expo" part of hours. Keep in mind that many people could issue "hours", though and the "Expos" might only be one of the "hours". Then they would float relative to each other and might be kind of enforcing honesty on each other through market forces.

David Grossack in Boston came up with a system he called Universal Trade Hours. I want him to present on that sometime.

Russell Kanning

aha
also Expo hours could always be denominated in coffee and $

jaqeboy

btw, Tom Kennedy was one of the inspirations for the Expo Hour and there are a lot of ideas embodied in the statements on his notes:

http://www.cyberclass.net/currency/tamworthp.htm

We kept it a lot simpler, just due to time limitations and insufficient review of what "the ideal" would be. We opted to go with a verbal presentation by the issuer. The detail here is that the certificates were designed and printed before the Board of Governors for the project were seated. This inverted sequence happened because of the needs of the experimental project.

Oh, and Lloyd, the policy stated was the project was concluded on Sunday and certificates could be redeemed between 12N and 1PM - then the experiment was over and the excess balance would go to the AltExpo fund.
:(

I know a couple of people on the board, tho. Maybe I could pull some strings. Also, if I do a coffee biz up at Burning Porcupine, I'd accept them for beverages.