• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Artist / Consignment shops

Started by maulotaur, June 18, 2008, 05:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maulotaur

Looking for a place that takes hand-made items such as clothing, jewelry, paintings - stores that support independent craft artists.   If you work at such a place or know of any, post here so that we can check them out and refer others. 

-Paul

Kat Kanning

There are a couple places on Main st. that might do that.

maulotaur

Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 18, 2008, 05:36 PM NHFT

I didn't see any, but I had enjoyed the coffee and ice cream along the way...

Coconut

Quote from: maulotaur on June 18, 2008, 08:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 18, 2008, 05:36 PM NHFT

I didn't see any, but I had enjoyed the coffee and ice cream along the way...

"Penelope's" I think is the name

maulotaur

Coconut

Quote from: maulotaur on June 18, 2008, 09:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 08:34 PM NHFT
"Penelope's" I think is the name

Do you shop there?

No. I've just heard the name thrown around as a place to find used furniture etc. It's possible they only carry furniture and don't consign artworks

maulotaur

Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 09:54 PM NHFT
No. I've just heard the name thrown around as a place to find used furniture etc. It's possible they only carry furniture and don't consign artworks

OK...Is there anything else about this place that might make one think it would be a good shop for independent craft artists?  If I happen to see it, I will certainly check it out. 

-Paul

Coconut

Quote from: maulotaur on June 19, 2008, 12:25 AM NHFT
Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 09:54 PM NHFT

OK...Is there anything else about this place that might make one think it would be a good shop for independent craft artists?  If I happen to see it, I will certainly check it out. 

-Paul

This is a good question for someone else to take.

Kat Kanning

dalebert

Maybe this is something you and/or some other porcs can start.

David

I cant remember where, but somewhere on Marlboro st., they just opened up a resale shop of some sort.  I'll look for it over the next couple of days and try to remember to report back.   :)

maulotaur

Quote from: David on June 21, 2008, 08:28 PM NHFT
I cant remember where, but somewhere on Marlboro st., they just opened up a resale shop of some sort.  I'll look for it over the next couple of days and try to remember to report back.   :)

Yes please do.  I will have some craft items such as tie dye shirts, headbands, handmade jewelry, candles etc. that I would like to place into a consignment shop if I can find one that accept such items. 

David

I finally remembered to do this.  The place is called the Friendly Flea.  It is I think entirely a second hand used store.  I bought cheap sci fi books.   8)  He buys and sells, but I doubt he would buy crafts for any decent price.   :-\  Sorry, I know that doesn't seem to help you much Maulataur.

maulotaur

Hey all - I went ahead and did some further checking on this recently and wanted to post an update in case anyone else might be looking for this.  The shops on Main are not good choices - they only want high-profit jewelry items and will say that they only take "pre-owned" items if you mention that you make it yourself, or if it appears as such.  Saying that it IS pre-owned (by yourself) won't get you anywhere either.  Any other shops there do not take consignment.  However, there is an artisan's shop off Central Sq. called Eclectica*.  They have no membership fee, no jurying by group, and the items are insured while on site.  You do have to sign a "consignment agreement" with a 35% take off, and your pieces are accepted on a per-piece basis by the owner.  Also, they are not very open to clothing items, will reject items which may not "fit in", and you receive payment once a month by check. 

[*Eclectica, 17 Lamson St, Keene, NH 03431]

David

Someone at work was just talking about that place the other day.  She really liked them.  Maybe you can work something out with them.   :D