• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Coconut pulled over

Started by slim, June 18, 2008, 06:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

A Porc411 (attached) was sent out by Coconut apparently some cop decided he violated some arbitrary rule.

Coconut

As anyone who heard my Porc411 call knows, I was victimized in Walpole. I was unsure of the "limit" and traveling at a safe speed. I'm starting to believe in this Law of Attraction thing, only because I drive in dread of being pulled over, and follow the speeds when I know them, and it still happens when I'm being careful. I will send in a Not Guilty, but I'm not sure of my angle after that... slightly (slightly!) toying with the idea that I won't play along with this extortion anymore.

I may have finally remembered to audio record the interaction. It's not too interesting though.

officer-"What's the speed limit?"
Coconut-"Not sure."
"What's your speed."
"not sure.... zero right now."

slim

Coconut put out another porc411 and said he was released with a speeding violation.

dalebert

Kat Kanning

That sucks.  Plan to pay it or resist it somehow?

Coconut

Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 18, 2008, 07:54 PM NHFT
That sucks.  Plan to pay it or resist it somehow?

Good question. I'm still in the angry stage. Tomorrow will be the regretful/self-blame stage. By the weekend I can start thinking clear on it again. I'm a safe driver; I don't go pushing the pedal to the floor. I was going what I figured the car about 100 feet ahead of me was going. I can't say anything for certain, but in the 15 minutes since I said I was slightly toying with the idea of not paying... I've been more than slightly. This year might be a good time in my life to go the Manning/Krause route. I was hurting nobody and putting nobody in danger.

Fortunately it looks like it would be in Keene, so hopefully I would have some support if I did that.

Kat Kanning

maulotaur

Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFT
I'm a safe driver; I don't go pushing the pedal to the floor. I was going what I figured the car about 100 feet ahead of me was going. I can't say anything for certain, but in the 15 minutes since I said I was slightly toying with the idea of not paying... I've been more than slightly. This year might be a good time in my life to go the Manning/Krause route. I was hurting nobody and putting nobody in danger.

I would like to propose that all speed limits be removed and that the only violation be driving in a manner which poses a serious hazard to other drivers.  Recommended safe speeds could remain as a guide so that the driver chooses to drive at the speed that they feel comfortable going according to their ability so long as they do not damage another drivers person or property.

-Paul

Coconut

Quote from: maulotaur on June 18, 2008, 09:12 PM NHFT
Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFT
I'm a safe driver; I don't go pushing the pedal to the floor. I was going what I figured the car about 100 feet ahead of me was going. I can't say anything for certain, but in the 15 minutes since I said I was slightly toying with the idea of not paying... I've been more than slightly. This year might be a good time in my life to go the Manning/Krause route. I was hurting nobody and putting nobody in danger.

I would like to propose that all speed limits be removed and that the only violation be driving in a manner which poses a serious hazard to other drivers.  Recommended safe speeds could remain as a guide so that the driver chooses to drive at the speed that they feel comfortable going according to their ability so long as they do not damage another drivers person or property.

-Paul

You're not going to find much disagreement around here. Unfortunately that doesn't help me right now :)

David

Speeding tickets are a huge cash cow, they are not going to change anytime soon.   :-\
Sorry about your luck, Mr. Nut.  When you are ready to challenge it, you will have support.  8)  Please at least take it to court, if for no other reason than to force them to take time to actually prove you violated their revenue 'driving' codes. 
Of course, if you refuse to pay, (civ dis) it makes it that much more expensive for them to enforce this crap.   :(

NJLiberty

I'm sorry you were pulled over. The couple tickets I have ever gotten I took to court just to make them show up and justify themselves in public, and to make the ticket as costly as possible to them. Thankfully most of the time here they just tell you to slow it down a bit and be more careful.

They are about to start a new crack down here in NJ though. The Division of Highway Traffic Safety is again giving grants to a number of police departments here to cover overtime so they can increase enforcement on speeding in July. The town I live in and the one I travel through to work are part of this program this year so it should be an interesting month coming up. Must be a slow month for revenues.

George

maulotaur

Quote from: NJLiberty on June 19, 2008, 07:06 AM NHFT
Thankfully most of the time here they just tell you to slow it down a bit and be more careful.

Do they just give 'warnings' in Keene?  I could never be that lucky  :-\ 
Come to think of it, during my few days in town, I do not recall seeing any cops pulling anyone off the road though.  There was this air-raid siren thing going off at like noon every day though <shrug>

David

Before I junked my car, I had actually been pulled over about 3or 4 other times for various things.  They always look up my info, then all except once let me go with a verbal warning. 

I forgot what the siren was for, but I know that in the downtown circle, they blare it when an ambulance or firetruck goes through. 

FTL_Ian

Coconut

I think people complain too much about the siren. But that might be because I've lived next to it for 20 years. The noon thing is something different; like a big foghorn to let everyone know it's time for lunch? They also blow it if there's a fire in town.