• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

My introduction

Started by Brandon, June 18, 2008, 11:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

First off let me start by saying that I'm not entirely sure that this is the right forum for this type of thread. So if it's not, my apologies.

My name is Brandon, I currently live in Michigan but should be in New Hampshire by spring of '09. Obviously, like many of you, I'm a freedom loving, liberty minded individual. I believe in achieving goals through both civil disobedience and political activism.

And if you don't mind humoring me, I have a few questions:

1. Where in NH is best place to find housing?

2. The best place to find work / is it easy to find work?

3. Do you believe that your civil liberties are better protected in NH?

4. Do you believe that the FSP is  having a positive effect?

Thanks,
Brandon

K. Darien Freeheart

Welcome to the forums Brandon. Where in Michigan are you from?

Brandon

I live in Grosse Pointe Woods, a suburb of Detroit.

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'Brandon'I live in Grosse Pointe Woods, a suburb of Detroit.

While I won't admit it publically, I grew up in Farmington Hills, moved to Kalamazoo till college.

Quote from: 'Brandon'1. Where in NH is best place to find housing?

That depends on your criteria. Firstly, let me disclaim that I'm not in New Hampshire yet so take everything I say with a grain of salt. That said, until I moved away from Michigan, I had no idea how bad everything was economically. In Michigan I used to make fun of "Michitucky" but finding a house at a decent price and a job was much easier in Kentucky than it was in Michigan.

That said, you can find a home just about anywhere, what are your criteria and also, how do you want to get active for liberty? While there's no hard and fast rule, it would make sense to live near Concord if you're interested in chatting up state senators but if you want to RUN for State senator on a liberty platform, you might want to pick a less populated area or one with a more liberty minded outlook.

Quote from: 'Brandon'2. The best place to find work / is it easy to find work?

New Hampshire has the highest per-capita percentage of printers in (I think) the world but it seems to also be a bit sparce in terms of IT jobs. What do you have experience with, what fields would you want to work in? Also, do you want a "in the system" or an "out of the system" job?

Quote from: 'Brandon'3. Do you believe that your civil liberties are better protected in NH?

There's a theme here... Depends on where you are and which liberties you exercise the most. the goal of the Free State Project is to advance those liberties, and in general I see that happenign EVERYWHERE. That said, Grafton doesn't have zoning, do if building on your own land is important to you, you'd wanna see Grafton over Keene (for instance). If carrying your firearm proudly on your hip everytime you go into public is your thing, you might like Keene better than Manchester.

Quote from: 'Brandon'4. Do you believe that the FSP is  having a positive effect?

New Hampshire has the largest number of pro-liberty media outlets in the world. You've got Toby, Nick and Brenna (sp?) with Free Minds TV/Radio, Ian and Mark with Free Talk Live, Russell and Kat with the NH Free Press. You've got the Sentinel reporting on Copwatch and open carry. New Hampshire has Brad Jarvis (a cop with Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) on a talk show, and he's not even "pro-liberty" per se.

Nowhere else do I see weekly video coming from where people are issuing press releases that they're going to break three laws on the capitol building grounds. Nowhere else has a system where activists can call other activists when they deal face to face with the police. Nowhere else would a room full of witnesses refuse to stand for a judge during a hearing and have the judge essentially dismiss the case.

The Free State Project might not be makign worlds of difference, but it is changing the landscape of New Hampshire. You have to keep in mind, that the FSP doesn't fully kick in until the 20,000th person signs. I personally am filled with hope at the activism and progress being made in New Hampshire, and I'm fully convinced that if NH isn't the eipcenter for liberty, there won't be one.

Brandon

Thanks for all the info. Sorry if my questions about living accommodations and work a bit vague, but my criteria for those things are a bit looser than most people's. By the way, I've never actually been to Farmington Hills.

Kat Kanning

David

Welcome. 
Many of your questions are very common, because they are good question.  They have been answered to some degree or another in the Questions for NH residents subforum here.   :)

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

Hello there.
What kind of job will you be looking for?

Pat K

Brandon

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Brandon

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 19, 2008, 07:42 AM NHFT
Hello there.
What kind of job will you be looking for?

When I first arrive I'll take whatever I can get.

Russell Kanning

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Brandon on June 18, 2008, 11:08 PM NHFT

Porc Manor is where you should start.  ;D

(Hopefully by then we'll have more landlords on board with more rooms available.)

Brandon

Quote from: Ron Helwig on June 21, 2008, 01:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: Brandon on June 18, 2008, 11:08 PM NHFT

Porc Manor is where you should start.  ;D

(Hopefully by then we'll have more landlords on board with more rooms available.)

Thanks, I'll be sure to use Porc Manor when it's a little closer to moving time for me.