• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shire Hours

Started by Russell Kanning, June 19, 2008, 08:52 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LotharSNL on June 25, 2008, 02:54 AM NHFT
  All we need is the ability to contract, and a sound medium of exchange, like silver, or silver backed currency.  The "Hours" is a better then FRNs, but inferior to what we'd have with barter, and real currency.
Sounds like a good idea ... and another thread.
I will be doing this Shire Hours idea. You can do something like Shire Silver IOU's or something. :)

dalebert

It all seems like complications on the simple concept of exchanging precious metals. I have a hard time understanding why people want to complicate something that's pretty simple. *shrug*

Kat Kanning

The Shire Hours don't have anything to do with metals.  :dontknow:

LotharSNL

Thank you.  I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.  What I was describing is relevant to what you're talking about, though.  If your goal is to specifically create that type of currency, then what I mentioned isn't relevant, except I guess to encourage the use of some sort of email/text option of exchange.
  If you wanted something to facilitate the type of exchange you described without specifically being a labor based currency, my point was that there is no need to create anything to exchange what we already have, whether it be Shire Silver, or anything else.  "Shire Hours" would be another option of currency, such as a Liberty Dollar, or presumably Shire Silver, certainly all of which would be favorable to FRNs.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 25, 2008, 05:55 AM NHFT
Quote from: LotharSNL on June 25, 2008, 02:54 AM NHFT
  All we need is the ability to contract, and a sound medium of exchange, like silver, or silver backed currency.  The "Hours" is a better then FRNs, but inferior to what we'd have with barter, and real currency.
Sounds like a good idea ... and another thread.
I will be doing this Shire Hours idea. You can do something like Shire Silver IOU's or something. :)

Russell Kanning

Shire Silver hasn't happened yet. Some people use silver and gold to exchange, which is simple and time tested. The Shire Hours concept is just that ... hours. It will not make sense to some people, but will be cool for others. It doesn't envolve anything but doing hours of work without any immediate exchange. It is a fairly unique Shire thang. 8)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dalebert on June 25, 2008, 07:19 AM NHFT
It all seems like complications on the simple concept of exchanging precious metals. I have a hard time understanding why people want to complicate something that's pretty simple. *shrug*
I totally agree. I use silver already for some things. I even think already circulating gold and silver are great instead of making new stuph.
Shire Hours are for when you don't have any gold or silver, but you need or have hours. :D

Barterer

Quote from: LotharSNL on June 25, 2008, 12:42 AM NHFT
  I'd suggest that exchanging promissory notes based on silver, or anything else one might take in exchange for something, would be sufficient for what you guys are discussing.  I try to encourage people to consider every transaction a trade.  "Purchasing", exclusive of exchanging, is a myth.  I assume it's a tool to allow us "spenders" to be measured, and taxed.
  Exchanging IOUs, or promissory notes payable with silver, could be negotiated between parties for any service, or hours of labor, and I think it would suffice for what it is you guys are discussing with the Shire Hours concept.  Like one of you already pointed out, you might be willing to promise an hour of yard work before you'd be willing to promise 10 minutes of plumbing work, or vice versa.

I found the eLiberty Dollar service to be very useful, while it lasted.  I'm not entirely sure what Shire Silver will become, but I'd love to see that type of service available again.
Ripple will be "Shire Silver ready" in the sense that users will have the option to trade primarily in hours, or primarily in silver, and whether or not they will allow conversions at the rate of 2 Shire Hours per Oz. Silver.  So either means of exchange can be left out if a user wants to keep it simple.  The 2:1 ratio will not change, unlike before when the spot prices of metals would change and users would see the total (USD) value in their account change.  Having only two units, and keeping them at a fixed ratio should make for less confusion and more confidence in the system.  :)

Russell Kanning

Barterer

Update: Dylboz has agreed to do the new title graphic for the Shire Hour :wav: Ripple system!

Also, no more mandatory encryption (with the webfaction certificate) but you can still use https:// if you want to. 

This is looking good so far.. I'm thinking beta tests Saturday afternoon, but will let you know if I hit any snags.

Russell Kanning

I was testing it today and got this error:

Barterer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 26, 2008, 06:07 AM NHFT
I was testing it today and got this error:
Yep, I would expect that, since I just changed the password on the mailserver and did not inform ripple of that.. will fix later.  Guess I didn't need the warning about new accounts after all.

Meanwhile, I got it hooked up to www.shirehours.com so will change the homepage message to inform everyone of the move!

Edit: Ok I fixed the email thing, but remember, all accounts will be wiped out when I clear the database this weekend.  Also, there are references to "libertybrew" and "ripple.libertybrew" all over the place, including those emails.. I need to comb through everything and make it consistent.  Once I have everything debugged, I'll close ripple.libertybrew and make a thread announcing that shirehours.com is open for business.

Russell Kanning

cool

I have some hours to give out.

jaqeboy

Hey, would you guys like to post the info on Shire Silver on one of the AltExpo.org pages?

I envision in the alternative money category that there would be 2 branches: paper and metal, and then within each branch would be all the various paper systems, then all the various metal-based systems. It seems like there should be a 3rd category for exchange/clearing systems, like barter systems, LETS and Ripple systems.

jaqeboy

Oops, I mean Shire Hours... ;D

Russell Kanning

watchit Jacqyboy .... we might have to invent Shire Smackdowns for those that slip up