• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shire Hours

Started by Russell Kanning, June 19, 2008, 08:52 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Barterer

Quote from: 41mag on June 28, 2008, 03:42 PM NHFT
For those who do want security would it be possible to use pgp / gnupg for the outgoing mail? 
That would be more difficult than just shutting them off, which I can do.. for everybody or nobody.  As a gnupg fan myself, I made that very suggestion to the developers months ago, and it is cued up as a development "ticket."  I'll check for new updates and keep Shire Hours current, but I'm not holding my breath for the pgp thing.

jaqeboy

Hey, barterer,
Are you monitoring this thread? After all the workshops and meetings this weekend I've got some feedback for ya.
Jaqeboy

Organjic

I didn't know there was a thread for this.  How do we seek work?  I might offer my laboring shire hours for food if I cannot find a job right away when I move up.

Barterer

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 15, 2008, 09:10 PM NHFT
Hey, barterer,
Are you monitoring this thread? After all the workshops and meetings this weekend I've got some feedback for ya.
Jaqeboy
Hey Jack, I hear ya.  Let me know if there are other mods beyond the ones we did yesterday.

Quote from: Organjic on December 16, 2008, 04:25 AM NHFT
How do we seek work?  I might offer my laboring shire hours for food if I cannot find a job right away when I move up.
I think the "trading post" area of this board would be the best place to start.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Organjic on December 16, 2008, 04:25 AM NHFT
I didn't know there was a thread for this.  How do we seek work?  I might offer my laboring shire hours for food if I cannot find a job right away when I move up.

This is one of my feedback items from the workshops, too. Some people suggested we needed a directory of who would accept Shire Hours and who would pay in Shire. My first-pass answer was that the money system is separate from the employment and merchant system and it might not be appropriate to mix them. I assumed there weren't any modules built into the Ripple Pay open software that could just be "switched on" to add that sort of feature (noting who are users of the system). I also noted that the fact that all the users are not noted might be a security feature.

There was talk of forming Community Action Networks (CAN), ie Bristol CAN, that would help promote community currencies and possibly publish such a directory, with an online, frequently-updated, version, which could include various search tools, etc. The local CAN would serve the function of promoting the local involvement and encouraging in-network trading to promote mutual support, etc. I'll keep in touch with Kevin Innes on this as the proposal for that model is developed.

We will be starting some online list for discussion of use of Alt. Currencies and comparing notes between different systems and locales.

jaqeboy

One other feedback item:

Some people didn't want to sign up, saying "Well, I don't really live near here, so I wouldn't be doing any business with you people over here."

So, my 2 answers were:
1. You can still sign up on Shire Hours and promote it locally where you live.

2. Maybe John could/would create another customization (Boston Hours, for example) for your local area and we could possibly link up together for inter-networking (where have I heard that word before?)

Which is the better answer?

Barterer

The points raised in your last two posts call for different solutions, that's for sure. For things like CANs, ads or directories, everyone can see everyone else's listings.  So if all the listings for all areas were dumped into one massive pile, it would soon become cluttered with listings mostly out-of-area and useless to any given user.  Craigslist has solved this elegantly by assigning a subdomain to each city, e.g. austin.craigslist.org and boston.craigslist.org.  So if say, the "trading post" area of this board got too crowded, the solution would be to divvy it up, one child board per area.

For the other situation, where you have many users out of range of each other, I'd say #1 is the better answer.  The onus is on the users to form their own local connections, and the system works just the same in any locality.  Also, ShireHours will never get cluttered by useless connections because unconnected members are invisible to each other. For example, I'm only connected (directly) to 10 other users, so it looks nice and tidy for me.. if I didn't administer it, I wouldn't see the other 51. So I don't think the system needs further division by area.

Back to the 1st question though, it would be easy to set up something like bbs.shirehours.com with sub-forums specific to each area.  I'd have done that already, except that boards are a dime a dozen these days, and I figure people don't want yet another forum.  But you're the people-person :) so let me know if you think a board would be popular, and if so, what areas should have their own section. Hmm.. network.shirehours.com has a nice professional ring to it.

Lumpy

Quote from: Barterer on December 16, 2008, 06:27 PM NHFTHmm.. network.shirehours.com has a nice professional ring to it.

Barterer and Jack, this is ultima-cool!

jaqeboy

Quote from: Lumpy on December 16, 2008, 06:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: Barterer on December 16, 2008, 06:27 PM NHFTHmm.. network.shirehours.com has a nice professional ring to it.

Yeah, Lumpy, I'm going to extend you some credit in Shire Hours to set up a connection with you. Look for the email.
Hey, you and Aubie staying warm over the hill over 'dere?

Russell Kanning

we also need some sort of way of letting people know we are willing to connect with them
I can't send out invites to everyone

Lumpy

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 17, 2008, 12:17 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lumpy on December 16, 2008, 06:38 PM NHFT

Yeah, Lumpy, I'm going to extend you some credit in Shire Hours to set up a connection with you. Look for the email.
Hey, you and Aubie staying warm over the hill over 'dere?
Gracias Jack!
I got the email but am having a hard time figuring the thing out.  I have chronic PBS (Pea Brain Syndrome).

Barterer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 22, 2008, 06:38 AM NHFT
we also need some sort of way of letting people know we are willing to connect with them
I can't send out invites to everyone
You can do a mass invite, but of course you have to know all their email addresses.  Log in, see the box below
"First, enter the email addresses of people you would like to connect to:"
-----------
guy1@hisdomain.com [enter]
someotherdude@gmailorwherever.com [enter]
-----------
Then hit the [next] button to send all the invites at once. 

Quote from: Lumpy on December 24, 2008, 02:16 PM NHFT
Gracias Jack!
I got the email but am having a hard time figuring the thing out.  I have chronic PBS (Pea Brain Syndrome).
It's not you, many others find it confusing.  Jack and I are working almost every day to make the messages clearer and generally simplify things. The main thing to remember is that shire hours are a form of IOUs.  So you have to give someone a credit limit for them to "pay" you shire hours or ounces of silver. I changed it so that the value for your partner's limit is filled in by default with the limit he gave you.  But you still have to hit [save changes] to accept it.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Alex Free Market on December 26, 2008, 03:39 PM NHFT
The FSP's Anarcho Jesse has come up with his own little currency system,  Anarcho Jesse Labor Notes.  I suspect most of you guys know about this already, though.

Not sure if it really worked out for him, but I applaud his ingenuity and entrepeneurship, and hope more people come up with these kinds of things,

I received one and I spent it with Jesse - satisfied customer of the AJLN's.

jaqeboy

Here's a good article that just came out that ought to make people more comfortable using Shire Hours. Everybody's doing it, according to Time Magazine!

Alternative Currencies Grow in Popularity
By Judith D. Schwartz Sunday, Dec. 14, 2008

Most of us take for granted that those rectangular green slips of paper we keep in our wallets are inviolable: the physical embodiment of value. But alternative forms of money have a long history and appear to be growing in popularity. It's not merely barter or primitive means of exchange like seashells or beads. Beneath the financial radar, in hip U.S. towns or South African townships, in shops, markets and even banks, people throughout the world are exchanging goods and services via thousands of currency types that look nothing like official tender.

jaqeboy

Also, of possible interest...

a new Yahoo group for discussion of alternative currencies, meant for discussion of how to start one, implement/promote it locally and make it work, ie, preferably not used for endless arguments and whining  ;)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ALTCURRENCIES/

A new social networking group set up by Tom Kennedy of Ottawa (speaker at AltExpo #0) for "Usury-Free Creatives": http://usuryfreecreatives.ning.com/

I know Catherine Austin Fitts was also promoting local currencies - I'll look for info on her Solari Circles to see how that works and see if that's a place for use of Shire Hours.