• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A friend 6-23-08

Started by sgtusmc, June 23, 2008, 01:42 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtusmc

A friend 6-23-08
I was just heading to Telly's restaurant in Epping for lunch with a friend.  I met two men on the way.  One was about 30-35 the other was about 50-55.  They were taking two thirty packs of bud out of their car.  I thought I recognized one as a friend that I meant to talk with but was unable to get a hold of.  It turned out not to be my friend but since I stopped and looked like a fool any way I started talking with them.  It was sad, the older gentle man was disabled from a recent job injury.  He was on work man's comp for about 6 months so far and the way he was walking he will most likely be on it for ever.  The other was a college graduate working for minimum wage.  They were just friends that found drinking beer early in the day a solution to their problems.  I stood and talked with these men for over an hour in the parking area.  Their sad stories made me realize with all I got going on I am lucky.  These men were both Veterans caught in lives hard times with no hope for a out.  I told them about VA service and government help.  They told me that they had done that and were shuffled off in to the what ever with out help.  I offered them any help that I could but they were to depressed.  They asked if I wanted to drink a beer with them but I told them I was meeting a friend at Telly's.  They thanked me for stopping and caring enough to try to help them. 
   I have not been able to stop thinking about these gentle men that are Veterans caught in life's little jokes.  I hope my talk at least showed them that some people do care about them.  I did not tell them that my stop was a mistake.  I just let them believe that I stopped to be a friend. 
Peter Macdonald Sgt USMC Semper Fi