• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Best Media/Tech area of NH to start job search

Started by vanguardist, June 23, 2008, 01:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

vanguardist

My wife and I are getting more serious about moving to NH, probably by mid 2009. It's possibly quite early to start looking for work but I want to get a feel for things. Specifically, if it makes sense, I would like to concentrate my search on a couple of geographical areas to have a better chance of both of us finding work. It looks like the biggest metro areas are Keene, Manchester and Concord. So far I have not visited those places but will at some point, if only to get a feel for them. Would it be accurate to say that the highest concentration of media/tech/pharma/biotech companies and organizations within companies (let's count colleges too) would be located in Keene, Manchester or Concord? If there are other parts of NH that I should consider, or if there are major companies that are located elsewhere, I would appreciate some info on this.

I am planning on doing a thorough search over the summer (job boards, web sites, forums, etc) but for now I need a place to start. NH might be small but there is still a lot going on. My goal is to find a position (preferably within a university or college...don't ask...I like that environment  :D ) working with multimedia, online media (videos, podcasts) and similar things. I have plenty of experience so I cannot consider an entry level job.

HN here we go!

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

this gives you a good idea of the population areas and how they relate to each other:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_census_statistical_areas

Keene is fairly small, but it is the center of its own world.

Manchester and the parts headed to Boston from there much bigger. Also the seacoast area, which is very connected to Boston is much more populated.

vanguardist

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 23, 2008, 04:29 PM NHFT
this gives you a good idea of the population areas and how they relate to each other:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_census_statistical_areas

Keene is fairly small, but it is the center of its own world.

Manchester and the parts headed to Boston from there much bigger. Also the seacoast area, which is very connected to Boston is much more populated.

Thanks. High population doesn't scare me (I've lived in a city of 8M+) but lately I enjoy being in small places. That said, I'm considering the major areas as well. Keene does seem like one of the big places for activism.

vanguardist

So after talking with my wife I think we're a lot more serious about moving to NH. Our gig here in NY will be over by the summer. I look forward to taking a few days off from work and quickly getting a feel for some of the areas of NH that I would like to visit.

To make his as affordable as possible, I will be asking if there are any FSP members who are willing to host me for a night  ;D

error

vanguardist

Quote from: error on August 17, 2008, 04:00 PM NHFT
It might depend on which night! :)

Heh, yeah, I gotta make sure I don't interrupt people's schedule. Who knows, they might be doing a bit of troublemaking...