• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Expo Hours - theory and practice

Started by jaqeboy, June 29, 2008, 11:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Quote from: jaqeboy on June 09, 2008, 02:03 PM NHFT
I probably should start a whole thread for the Expo Hours, but I'm almost all packed up and need to head up to Gunstock.

We did reserve a domain name: expohours.com, but not sure if Fred has put anything up on there yet. No, I checked and it's not showing up yet.

Be thinking of how to issue the money in a way that is fair. AltExpo wants to make some FRN's to cover out-of-pocket costs, and we may be the only one taking them as a "merchant" at first - for coffee and mugs. Maybe we can get some other early-adopter merchants. I know Ron Helwig is bringing up a pickup load of firewood from his land - maybe he'll accept Expos. We sorta need a sign for merchants that says: "Expo Hours accepted here!"

I finally read an article by Tom Kennedy in the Kingston (Ontario) Eye Opener (Vol.5, No.1, Jan-Feb 2007, pps 8-9) paper he gave me at AltExpo #0 at Liberty Forum 07. He describes 2 methods for issuing hours-based currency: 1) issued in exchange for a promissory note for hours, and 2) Centralized distribution of a previously determined amount to all participants. I had thought of 2), like in a Monopoly game, and was puzzling over a solution similar to 1). Tom is a Community Currency Consultant and I will see if we can get him down here to present at a mini AltExpo to be held maybe in the Fall.

In my activity, I have come across 2 community activist groups who might want to implement hours-based community currencies: Barnstead, N.H. and South Berwick, Maine. I think we could get Tom down here to present to the several groups all at once and I have a hall in mind that would be great for this.

I'll look for Tom's article online and post a link here if I can find it.