• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shire Hours trading system ready for beta testing

Started by Barterer, June 28, 2008, 02:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Barterer

I'm going to go in and change some of the language. It will say something like "propose a mutual credit limit with a trading partner" or something like that. I understand why it is the way it is, and don't want to mess with the functionality too much, but the language on some of the pages is confusing. And it says neighbour in a few places.  Ahh yeess, cup of tea, neighbour?   ^-^

Barterer

I want to fix this credit limit confusion dammit  >:(   I have sent a message to the developer asking for advice, but in the meantime I'll change the message you get when accepting credit to something like this:
QuoteThis is your new connection account with so-and-so@theirdomain.   Please offer your new trading partner a credit limit comparable to what you've been offered. Just as you can't spend more than you've been offered in credit, you can't receive more than you've extended in credit.

Russell Kanning

I didn't think that was the way it worked before when I used it.

Barterer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 01, 2008, 08:53 AM NHFT
I didn't think that was the way it worked before when I used it.
I think I found the block of code that controls it.. will compare ripplesite 0.2a with V. 0.1 when I get home. Not that I shouldn't  be slacking off at work, I just need my linux machine to unpack and compare the program "tarballs."

Edit: no difference as far as credit limits go, V.0.1 to 0.2.    :BangHead:  Will hammer on it some more tomorrow, hopefully with some advice from Ryan.

Barterer

Ok, I've got most all messages cleared up (I think  ;) )  And the "Be your own banker" idea is explained better on the homepage:
I am clarifying the language on some of the pages this site generates, so that there is no confusion about credit limits. In general, you can spend as many Shire Hours as others have granted you in credit. Conversely, the maximum number of Shire Hours you can be paid is the total amount of credit you have granted to others. So the best thing to do is to extend the same amount of credit to the person who invited you onto the system, as s/he extended to you. This is the "be your own banker" philosophy integrated into ShireHours.com and its parent, Ripplepay. In response to further feedback, I will continue to make this site as user-friendly as possible.

Also notice that there are business opportunities here. Anyone can use their Shire Hours account to create a bridge (for a small fee of course!) to other payment systems like Paypal or e-gold.
Thanks,
Barterer
I've also contacted Ryan to see if I can get some help recoding a few scripts, so that the default (when accepting a credit offer) is a mutually symmetrical +/- credit arrangement between partners. The way it is now, the default is an offer of zero credit by the offeree, and that trips people up.

Russell Kanning

Barterer

Well I didn't hear back from Ryan, but DID manage to recode the credit acceptance page so that the default value in the field for a partner's limit is the same as what s/he offered.  So that pretty much takes care of the credit-limit issue. Users would have to go out of their way to offer insufficient credit now (but still can).  DAMN I'm good!   :batman:

Ok, so what problems are left? Did you get your pages to refresh often enough? Is Roger's computer still not having any cookies?

Russell Kanning

Kat Kanning

Maybe we should bake some MACaroons for Roger's computer.

Pat McCotter

Re cookies:

I found that with IE, even when I tell it to accept cookies from shirehours.com, I get the page telling me to enable cookies.

Firefox and Opera work fine.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Kat Kanning on July 02, 2008, 07:00 PM NHFT

;D

I will except MACaroons as payment.  :D

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 03, 2008, 06:11 AM NHFT

;D

You don't like MACaroons? You want to except them? Or did you mean "Accept"? >:D ;D

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat McCotter on July 03, 2008, 06:40 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 03, 2008, 06:11 AM NHFT

;D

You don't like MACaroons? You want to except them? Or did you mean "Accept"? >:D ;D

Accept is the correct answer...  ;D English was my weakest subject.  :blush:  ;D

Barterer

Quote from: Pat McCotter on July 03, 2008, 04:40 AM NHFT
Re cookies:

I found that with IE, even when I tell it to accept cookies from shirehours.com, I get the page telling me to enable cookies.

Firefox and Opera work fine.

Muahahahaaaa... perfect.  >:D

Maybe I should set up an IE detector that redirects them to stickybuns.com where they can trade for macaroons at 2:1.