• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

autumn harvest farm

Started by Russell Kanning, June 30, 2008, 06:59 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

found this in the NH Magazine

http://www.autumnharvestfarm.com/

looks pretty cool
It is over the hill from most of Grafton, but not that far ... and they show up at the Canaan market on Sundays

Pat McCotter

I like this from their web page!

"We grow all our veggies and berries organically, though not certified, as we don't feel the government needs or has done a good job at regulating our food supply. Sweet Corn being the exception, we do spray for corn borer and earworms, and for this we use Sevin,  'an over the counter' type pesticide. We grow our corn on the leased land so our farm crops are never in jeopardy of drift from spray. If you get to know your local farmer and how they grow there foods it should mean more to you than any government certification would."

Russell Kanning

exactly
they seem like decent people .... they tell you how they grow food and you can decide if that sounds good to you :)

Free libertarian

Unfortunately the decison of whether we will be able to raise our own food (critters) umolested is in jeopardy.  Some of my activism has been directed against the National Animal I.D. System or NAIS.  I think it's really cool that farmers markets are popping up and I try to engage people in conversations about the perils of the USDA and their big brother plan to force small farmers / homesteaders into oblivion. Lots of people are still unaware of NAIS and how bad it is.
Now for a shameless plug, brace yourself...This is the part where I ask people to check out one of my favorite websites NONAIS.ORG in case you don't have enough stuff to be pissed about. There's alot more to it, but basically NAIS is about  government trying to require people to have a "license" to farm so the only ones left will be large scale factory farms.  They erroneously use "food safety" as the smoke screen to steal your rights. Like most government programs follow the money it will lead you to the truth...     

I think the farm Russell is referring to can be accessed from route 4-A and is off Hardy Hill Road in the far southern tropical reaches of Grafton, never had any of their stuff yet though, probably will try their corn when it's ready.  Local food has become alot more popular as fuel prices keep going up.  The grainstore in West Lebanon sold more live chickens this year than ever before. I've invited one of those chickens to accompany me to Burning Porc. so if you smell chicken cooking, it's just me and my hot date. I've got a bunch of tomatoes and other stuff growing and hope to do some canning this fall can't get more local than your own garden, but if you haven't started one yet by all means buy from a local or at a farmer's market.  IMHO knowing how to grow food may be more important some day than knowing how to do lots of other things.