• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Petition protests city's parking fee hike

Started by Pat McCotter, July 08, 2008, 07:43 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Petition protests city's parking fee hike
By SCOTT BROOKS
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff

MANCHESTER – A group of downtown merchants and employees is petitioning City Hall over a proposal that would raise parking rates near their storefronts by 25 cents an hour.

"We are the ones who interact with our customers daily, and we know beyond a doubt that these changes will make it harder for us to attract and retain those customers," said Keith Murphy, the Elm Street bar owner who wrote the petition.

Officials in the city's Economic Development Office say the wide-reaching proposal is designed to help downtown businesses, not hurt them. They maintain it would encourage business owners and employees to park in cheaper spaces a few blocks away from the downtown strip, freeing up prime parking spots for customers who want to eat or shop.

It also offers some relief. Parking on many side streets would be free after 5:30 p.m.

Aldermen are expected to vote on the plan tonight in a meeting that begins at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall. If approved, the Elm Street rate increase and other changes would not go into effect until September, according to Parking Manager Brandy Stanley.

As of yesterday, there were 72 people who signed the petition, including 15 who identified themselves as an owner of a downtown business. Nine of the people who signed the petition work at Murphy's Taproom, the south Elm Street bar and restaurant Murphy opened last year.

The petition argues the proposed changes "pose a direct threat" to the livelihood of downtown workers. In particular, it takes aim at parts of the proposal that would:

-- Raise parking prices on the downtown strip and abutting blocks to 75 cents an hour, up from 50 cents an hour.

-- Charge drivers on Saturdays to park on the busiest part of Elm Street. Currently, all parking is free on the weekends.

-- Charge one dollar for "event night" parking on certain streets near the Verizon Wireless Arena.

Those changes, according to Murphy, would deter some would-be customers from patronizing downtown businesses and steer them toward other retail meccas, such as South Willow Street, where parking is free.

His argument was echoed by Gary Marino, a salesman at George's Apparel, who said the plan "stinks."

"We're trying to get people to come downtown and shop," said Marino, who had not seen Murphy's petition. "To have them not only pay to park on Saturday, but to have them pay more, is not very shopper-friendly."

ny2nh

Public Participation at the Board of Mayor & Aldermen meeting tonite at City Hall, 7:00pm.

It would be nice to have patrons of downtown businesses - including Murphy's - speak and urge the board to not approve these increases.

Perhaps saying that paying additional fees would be a deterrent to visiting the downtown businesses might make you go someplace else instead....just s suggestion. :)

FTL_Ian

John Edward Mercier

How about the businesses build their own parking areas?

ny2nh

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 08, 2008, 09:58 AM NHFT
Instead of begging, you can always encourage noncompliance.

I know some of you don't believe in registering your vehicles, etc......

Non-compliance would result in a parking ticket....which could result in your car being booted.....and also prevents one from registering their vehicle if there are unpaid tickets.

ny2nh

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on July 08, 2008, 10:51 AM NHFT
How about the businesses build their own parking areas?

We're talking downtown....there' no space for these businesses to build parking....  ????

mackler

if there's enough space to put a business then there's enough space to put a parking business.

ny2nh

Actually, no, there really isn't. Downtown has wall to wall buildings...it's a downtown. It's not new construction, it's businesses opening in the existing structures. There aren't really even any vacant properties that someone could build a parking facility on. The closest thing is businesses who aren't normally open in the evening will rent out parking for Verizon events. That is no solution for day to day parking issues.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: ny2nh on July 08, 2008, 11:18 AM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 08, 2008, 09:58 AM NHFT
Instead of begging, you can always encourage noncompliance.

I know some of you don't believe in registering your vehicles, etc......

Non-compliance would result in a parking ticket....which could result in your car being booted.....and also prevents one from registering their vehicle if there are unpaid tickets.

I know you believe in obeying the gang.  Guess you figure all meaningful change comes via begging?

muni

1. Talk is cheap. If you want to convince me, show me the action and its effectiveness.
Come to Manchester, park without paying and we'll see how effective it is.

2. ny2nh lives in Manchester and whatever her actions are, they are her choice. You
don't agree with her? Come here and do something different, like open a business
downtown and build a parking lot next to it .

muni .

FTL_Ian

Quote from: muni on July 08, 2008, 05:18 PM NHFT

1. Talk is cheap. If you want to convince me, show me the action and its effectiveness.

Did you read my link?  I didn't pay, and they marked me paid anyway.  (That's the story for part three at least, which I've yet to write.)

FTL_Ian

Quote from: muni on July 08, 2008, 05:18 PM NHFT

I don't need to go to Manch.  Here in Keene we have activists driving with no govt. license/registration.  This is where the noncooperative action is.

mackler

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 08, 2008, 04:35 PM NHFT
I know you believe in obeying the gang.  Guess you figure all meaningful change comes via begging?

Oohh!  Someone's feeling randy!

Maybe we should have a little Keene/Manchester face-to-face off to see who's got the the most hardcore unrepentant anarchists.  Oh wait, sorry, I forgot you don't like that word.  *softly hums mickey-mouse show theme*

But seriously, show of hands, who here pays the federal gas tax?
Who here has walked into the local police station open carrying?
Who here has an e-gold account?

Okay, you're right, that last one was a stupid question.  No one here would admit that.

MANCH!  VEGAS!
MANCH!  VEGAS!
MANCH!  VEGAS!

:punk:

GO MANCHESTER!!  WOO HOO!

ps. Props for sending that letter.

mackler

Quote from: ny2nh on July 08, 2008, 03:44 PM NHFT
Actually, no, there really isn't. Downtown has wall to wall buildings...it's a downtown. It's not new construction, it's businesses opening in the existing structures. There aren't really even any vacant properties that someone could build a parking facility on. The closest thing is businesses who aren't normally open in the evening will rent out parking for Verizon events. That is no solution for day to day parking issues.

Um yeah, right.  If they can figure out how to build parking garages in downtown Manhattan, they can figure out how to do it in downtown Manchester.

mackler

Quote from: ny2nh on July 08, 2008, 11:18 AM NHFT

From a comment from the Ridley Report coverage of this story.

Quote from: SunnyDaayzOn a side note: We had parking meters in our town, years ago, but no one used them, and they finally took them down. Actions speak louder than words, obviously.

Don't know if I believe that or not.  That would be quite a precedent.