• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Aspartame

Started by Kat Kanning, July 08, 2008, 08:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=913912016133902074&hl=en

Fox news piece....wow, it's really interesting how little it actually takes to buy off a politician!

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on July 08, 2008, 08:27 AM NHFT
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=913912016133902074&hl=en

Fox news piece....wow, it's really interesting how little it actually takes to buy off a politician!
Former CT Gov. John Rowland could ha, ve been a contender for the Rep. ticket, for a few payoffs in the area of 5 grand.

Kat Kanning

littlehawk

What blows my mind is how many people drink that crap. They also stuff aspartame in all kinds of foods too. Oh, and they like to do the name-change thing to keep us in the dark,,,aka nutrasweet, splenda, spoonful, equal.

Owned by Monsanto.

PassionatePantherrr

Just clarifying the chemistry of the artificial sweetners (not that I'd use any of them, but I was a biochemistry major):
Nutrasweet = aspartame,
Splenda= sucralose = left-handed chlorinated sugar (plus additives depending on whether it's the packet, brown sugar, fiber, etc one),
and here's the list for the Equal sweetners:
Equal Packets contain:     dextrose with maltodextrin, aspartame
Equal Spoonful contains:    maltodextrin, aspartame
Equal Tablets contain:    lactose (from milk), aspartame, acesulfame potassium, cellulose gum, Leucine
SugarTwin = depends on where it's made: sodium cyclamate + stuff if you get it from Canada, in the US it's saccharin + other stuff.
SweetNLow = Saccharin + depending on packaging

Give me Stevia (or its extracts) and agave any day for low calorie natural sweeteners.

Kat Kanning

We use stevia and agave also.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 15, 2011, 12:58 PM NHFT
We use stevia and agave also.

Yup, so do we.  :)  They recently started selling bags of stevia, like sugar instead of the little packets, at Hannafords.    I never trusted aspartame.  I believe I chewed some gum with aspartame in it one time not knowing and got a really bad headache.

littlehawk

The SOB's lace it into baby foods and even products like Pedialyte. The majority of parents have not a clue.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: littlehawk on April 15, 2011, 01:59 PM NHFT
The SOB's lace it into baby foods and even products like Pedialyte. The majority of parents have not a clue.

Yup, so true.  My daughter was using a toddler based drink for her daughter and she's against using aspartame but apparently didn't read the label carefully enough.  I showed here where it was listed and and she was stunned.  They have several different names for nutrasweet also so you really have to find out all the different names for these weird types of sweeteners.  :-\

Russell Kanning

CurtHowland

I've been very careful to teach my children to avoid chemicals in food, especially artificial sweeteners.

If I'm going to have something sweet, then make it sugar. Just use less.

Make it a treat, rather than every meal.

One of the things that drives me crazy is that high-fructose corn sweetener is in EVERYTHING! ...or at least it seems that way. Sick!

John

Many years ago, just tasting the very weird taste of some of these sweeteners made me think, and I right away started saying, that I'd be willing to bet that after a generation has been on these, we will begin seeing some really bad stuff caused by these nasty chemicals.

Russell Kanning

it didn't even take that long .... just most people don't know yet

littlehawk

If it says "sugar-free" on the packaging you can almost bet its aspartame. BTW, if one decides to do a little reseach, Ol' Donald Rumsfeld was playing the "revolving doorman" in order for aspartame to gain FDA approval. Yeah Ol' Rummie.