• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Re: Human powered vehicles, a way to travel, conserve fuel and get exercise

Started by 41mag, July 09, 2008, 07:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

41mag

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 09, 2008, 06:37 PM NHFT
are you thinking about a bike?
Quote from: 41mag on July 09, 2008, 06:17 PM NHFT
I'm assuming a bike.  Other options would be considered.

Mostly thinking of this as a way to not spend as much on diesel fuel.  Exercise is a nice bonus.  Would need to keep this fairly affordable, but don't want to buy low quality. 

Russell Kanning

Pat McCotter

And if it wasn't such a short distance I'd recommend vegetable oil for your diesel but it would only just get warmed up before you would have to switch back to diesel. I wouldn't recommend running a single tank veg oil car in NH.

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat McCotter on July 09, 2008, 09:07 PM NHFT
And if it wasn't such a short distance I'd recommend vegetable oil for your diesel but it would only just get warmed up before you would have to switch back to diesel. I wouldn't recommend running a single tank veg oil car in NH.

"Wouldn't recommend"? For at least four months of the year, it's going to be bloody impossible unless the car is hooked up to a heat source when not in use.

jaqeboy

Quote from: 41mag on July 09, 2008, 05:09 PM NHFT
I've been thinking about getting something for travel to work.  I'm on a limited budget, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions.

Neighborhood Electric Vehicle, if the speed limit along your route is not over 35 mph.

jaqeboy

Or a scooter - see All Outdoors, opposite side of Elm Street, Manch. from Murphy's and south a couple of blocks - they have all varieties.

jaqeboy

Here's an NEV, recently shipped to the Bugle Boy in LaGrange, Texas. Prototype was seen at PorcFest '06 up at Rogers.

http://www.thebugleboy.com/nogasneeded/ngn.htm

Pat McCotter

Quote from: KBCraig on July 09, 2008, 11:23 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat McCotter on July 09, 2008, 09:07 PM NHFT

"Wouldn't recommend"? For at least four months of the year, it's going to be bloody impossible unless the car is hooked up to a heat source when not in use.

"I wouldn't recommend running a single tank veg oil car in NH."

A two-tank system would be feasible but only for those who drive farther than a few miles. With my commute in CT being 60 miles I had no problem. During summer it took 2 miles before the veg oil was warmed up. In winter that went to 5 miles - with the radiator shrouded.

Ron Helwig

You might want to look into a motor assisted bicycle. You pedal, but for hills you can add power.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Ron Helwig on July 10, 2008, 08:21 AM NHFT
You might want to look into a motor assisted bicycle. You pedal, but for hills you can add power.

Yeah, and they have motor-assisted trikes, too. Ethan sells them up at Wildfire HPV up in Arundel, Maine: http://wildfirehpv.com/

Since All Outdoors (across from Murphy's and down 2 blocks) dropped their mountaineering equipment lines and went all scooters, they might have the electric-assist bikes: http://www.aogear.com/

Russell Kanning

I would think a scooter would work well for the commute I think you have :)

41mag

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 10, 2008, 12:33 PM NHFT
What would a scooter cost?  Is there any licensing or registration requirement?

Russell Kanning

the nh thugs want you to register (cheap for small ones) and have a license (motorcycle for all but the smallest ones)

jaqeboy

Quote from: 41mag on July 10, 2008, 03:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 10, 2008, 12:33 PM NHFT
What would a scooter cost?  Is there any licensing or registration requirement?

I believe that scooters under 50cc engine displacement fall under the moped regulations and do not require drivers licensing. I don't know about registration. Call them at All Outdoors and they'll fill you in.

Russell Kanning

they want DL for all sizes
they have special cheap and easy registration for the "mopeds"

that is why I am not currently buzzing around on a 49cc scooter right now ... it doesn't put me under the radar here in NH, even though it would have in CA.