• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

8% NH Renter's tax?

Started by PowerPenguin, July 17, 2008, 03:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

CT is strange like that. I went to the deli counter (restaurant style - sandwiches, chicken pieces, seafood, etc) in a ShopRite grocery store for lunches. I always paid a certain amount for a specific lunch at the counter.
One day I needed to pick something else up in the store.  Well, they didn't have it so I took my deli food to the check out lane and it was cheaper! No tax at the grocery check out but yes tax at the deli counter!

Coconut

Quote from: PowerPenguin on July 29, 2008, 03:16 PM NHFT
What you said. ;) The prepared food tax is also 8% right? Can you get around it at coffee shops, etc. by getting it "to go" even if you don't? It works in CA.

No. The wrapped up sandwiches at 7-11 are subject to the food tax. Obviously they are "to go."

PowerPenguin

You should try it and see what happens.

freedominnh

Pat McCotter is correct on this one and technically a rooming house provider should pay the State rooms and meals tax which is due the 15th of each month for the previous 30 days.  The State however does not refund or credit a landlord back funds for a tenant who has passed the 185 day threshhold.

Also here if you buy doughnuts or bagels at a grocery store and purchase under six you will be charged the tax.  Makes you want to support the places that still charge a buck for a coffee any size and I assume that they are getting to be fewer and fewer.   Actually there is one small c-store out here that does so.