• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Her only housing option: a car

Started by Michael Fisher, August 01, 2005, 08:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

From the front page of today's Concord Monitor:

Her only housing option: a car
Illness turned her life upside down
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050801/REPOSITORY/508010309/1031

For a month now, Kelly Hersey has lived out of her 2001 Suzuki Vitara. Every night, she drives from one exit of Interstate 93 to another, scared of nodding off at secluded rest stops. During the day, she steals what sleep she can. Despite the summer's searing heat, Hersey, 40, won't turn on the air conditioning. She has to save gas.

Hersey never imagined being homeless. For 21 years, she held a steady job. She raised two kids on her own and paid her bills on time. She loved doing crossword puzzles, watching the Lifetime channel, and cooking every night in her own kitchen.

But two years ago, that all changed. Hersey came down with shingles, a virus that damaged her nerves and causes searing pain to shoot through the face. "She has continuous pain," said Dr. Duncan Coolidge, Hersey's primary care physician at Franklin Regional Hospital. "And there's not much you can do."

Compounding the pain, Hersey also suffers from osteogenesis imperfecta, a genetic disease that dramatically weakens bones, leaving her with five slipped disks and drastic hearing loss. After weeks of rocking in bed with pain, she quit her job.

The $575 monthly government disability check failed to cover Hersey's $650 monthly rent for her apartment in Franklin. The city of Franklin helped pay her rent for four months, and for a while she received state disability benefits. But the bills were piling up, and it soon became clear that without a job, Hersey couldn't stay afloat.

So on July 1, she put her couch and kitchen supplies in storage, and moved into her car. Her back seat holds a lounge chair for stretching out, trash bags full of clothes, and food for Mojo, the long-haired dachshund that is her companion and protector on the road. When Hersey drives, Mojo places his front paws on her shoulder. When she sleeps, he stands on the dashboard, peering out the window. "He just watches to make sure I'm safe," Hersey said.

Hersey's ordeal tells the tale of an overburdened public housing program, skyrocketing rents, and disability benefits that don't come close to approaching the cost of living in Merrimack County.

While she has applied for public housing and Section 8 housing vouchers with every Merrimack County housing authority accepting applications, it may be a year before she receives government subsidized housing. Some housing authorities have such a backlog in applications that they're refusing to accept any more. With a housing voucher, Hersey would pay 30 percent of her income in rent, and the government would subsidize the rest.

"The wait is six months to one year, at least," said John Hoyt, executive director of the Concord Housing Authority. "And quite honestly, there's a preference for Concord residents. She's stuck. I bet I get three to five phone calls a day from people in the same situation."

"Since I arrived in August 2002, the Section 8 program has been cut by a cumulative 37 percent. Public housing has been cut by a cumulative 11 percent," Hoyt added. "I would need 250 housing vouchers to take care of everyone on my current list."

Simultaneously, rental prices have soared. According to the New Hampshire Housing Finance Authority, the median rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Merrimack County increased from $616 a month in 1995 to $946 in 2005. Hersey wasn't even able to find a room in someone else's apartment that she could afford.

"It's unbelievable what rents are here. When I was working, I was making good money: $17 an hour. I could pay my bills. I could raise kids by myself. Now I can't even take care of my dog," she said.

These days, the hours pass slowly for Hersey. "It feels like months. It's getting to me. I want to be able to take a shower. I feel nasty all the time," she said.

Each day is the same: driving from rest stop to rest stop; sneaking into campsites to use the shower; driving to her post office box to make sure nothing has arrived from a housing authority.

In the morning,Hersey uses part of her $149 in monthly food stamps to buy a pint of milk. Cereal has become her staple on the road, and she's been losing weight fast. At night, she buys a roll and cold cuts to share with Mojo.

Hersey misses her kitchen, and having a safe place to store food.But most of all, she misses stretching out at night, surrounded by her own things.

"I want a hot meal. That's nice. But what I really want is my own home. I want to lay my head on a pillow at night. I don't want to think about getting attacked."

She controls the chronic pain in her face with a powerful narcotic medication. She can't sit in one position for too long, and routinely stands up to ease the pain. When she walks, she does so gingerly.

"There are many people living off the fat of the land with feigned illnesses, like back pain," Coolidge said. "Here's someone who's really suffering, and who has been very responsible." According to Coolidge, it would be "extremely difficult" for Hersey to return to work. What she needs, he says, "is a warm, reasonable apartment. She deserves that."

Hersey's kids can't take her in. Her son, 20, lives with his girlfriend's family. And her 22-year-old daughter, who adopted Hersey's three cats, lives in a small apartment with a roommate. She speaks with them each week. She says her son cried when he helped her move out of her apartment. But she says: "I haven't called them too much because I don't want them to know how depressed I am."

Until she finds a home, she finds solace with doctors and nurses at Franklin Regional Hospital. "They just let me know they care. They let me know that I'm worthy. The dietician bought me lunch the other day. That makes me feel like I'm not a nobody." Cynthia Brown, one of the nurses, invites Hersey home to dinner, and hugs her outside the hospital doors.

For strength, Hersey has a spare tire cover with a picture of a bald eagle. Hersey has long collected decorations, blankets: anything she can find with pictures of the soaring birds.

"For years, I have thought of myself as an eagle," she explained. "I'm strong. I'm a warrior. Yet I'm gorgeous and graceful at the same time. They're what I stand for. I've helped people for most of my life. I raised two children with no help from their father. And I think I did a good job with them. That's what I represent."

"I'm a good person. I don't do drugs or alcohol. Now I don't even smoke. This isn't fair. I've supported myself since I was 17 years old. Now I need help and I can't get it,"Hersey said. "I watch people and wonder where they're going home to. That's what's on my mind. That's all I want, to be able to go home."

My wife and I have decided to take her in.  It's not the government's job to do this.  Hopefully she'll accept our offer.

Eagle

Please keep Us informed if Kelly accepts the offer.

Hats Off to You and Your Wife for this gesture and example.

Michael Fisher

Thank you!

Does anyone on the NH Underground have some extra space where she could store her stuff that she's currently paying monthly storage costs for?

tracysaboe

This stuff, is so sad.

If people didn't assume that their would be a government "safty blanket" for them in case of ill health, they'd be more likely to prepaire themselves. (Not saying she did that, but it's in many ways part of our culture now.)

Perhaps she would have had the forsight then, to purchase disability insurence, and perhaps save more of her money before these problems occured.

Medicine wouldn't be nearly so expensive either if the government weren't so involved with it either, so medicle treatment and technology wold be much more advanced then it currently is.

That said, I'm glad you're willing to take her in. This sets a very possitive example of libertarianism.

Tracy

KBCraig

This sad story presents excellent examples of everything that is wrong with relying on government for solutions to personal hardship.

And Mike's offer is the perfect counter-example of everything that is right with private charity.

Instead of tens of thousands of dollars of government assistance to provide food and housing for one person (and the hundreds of thousands it takes to administer those programs), it only takes one family offering a spare room (or even a couch). Churches and private charities have food (usually better and in larger quantities that is available through food stamps).

Thank you, Mike and Amethyst.

Kevin

lildog

I?ve very mixed feelings regarding this story. 

First off, the fact you are willing to take her in shows you truly are an amazing human being.

I?m appalled though that her two kids wouldn?t take her in.  If it were someone in my family you?d better believe I?d be opening the door for them or I?d look to move with them to help cover the costs of an apartment at the very least.

But what bothers me is that this woman?s problems are brought on herself.  In the fourth paragraph down it states ?After weeks of rocking in bed with pain, she quit her job.?  I feel bad that she had the medical problems that she had but if you are supporting yourself and your family and you up and quit your job what else do you expect to happen?  Things get rough.  People have to deal with hardships everyday.  Some give up as apparently this woman did and others push themselves.

Look at Lance Armstrong.  Do you think he had pain in his life?  Do you think he had to struggle?  Did he quit when it got tough?  Life sucks but you have to make a choice on whether you want to work through pain and hardships or eat dog food while living in your car wondering why the government isn?t giving you enough to live on.

I know this sounds cold but it?s a hard fact of life.  You can?t sit back and hope for people to be kind hearted enough to take care of you? sometimes you have to push through pain and suffering just to put food on the table.

AlanM

First off, let me say Mike and Amethyste are terrific! Fine job. This is how help should be given, person to person, not from a faceless bureaucrat.

Secondly, I can't totally condemn the relatives. They are a product of our times, and the public school indoctrination they undoubtedly received. One of the goals of public education is to drive a wedge between family members, so that in periods of difficulty a person will look to the State for aid, rather than depend on the family, or network of friends. This situation worked out as the State wanted it. It achieved its goals, dependence on the State. The State does NOT want to offer help, but merely an APPEARANCE of aid and concern. The State wants her to remain dependent on them. She is in the cogs of the vast bureacracy, which of course offers no cure. A cure is not needed nor wanted.

Michael Fisher

We're having a hard time contacting Ms. Hersey.  I called and e-mailed Mrs. Liebowitz, the reporter.  I also called for Cynthia Brown, the nurse at Franklin Regional Hospital, but she's not there right now.  I'll try calling again later today.

I can't blame Ms. Hersey for not forseeing these circumstances - even my wife and I do not have disability insurance, but we should definitely reconsider it now.

Well-stated, Alan.  The government tears families apart from cradle to grave, destroying the value of family and promoting the victim mentality and dependence on the system.  Ms. Hersey is very independent, but not perfectly independent.  Neither am I.  Perhaps her children should have helped take care of her.  I don't know what's really going on here, but hopefully we'll find out soon.

Michael Fisher

Dear Mike,
Thanks very much for your email and message - I've been out reporting all
day, and just returned to them. I apologize for not getting back to you
sooner. If it's alright with you, I will pass on your number to Kelly, and
then she can be in touch with you directly.
Best, Sarah

Woohoo!  :)

tracysaboe

I can't really blame the kids either. They're spending soo much money paying for all those people on "WelFare" they probably genuinely feel like they couldn't help her out.

And they also probably feel like they "already gave at the office."

Another sickness caused by the welfare mentality.

TRacy

lildog

Quote from: tracysaboe on August 02, 2005, 12:49 PM NHFT
I can't really blame the kids either. They're spending soo much money paying for all those people on "WelFare" they probably genuinely feel like they couldn't help her out.

That is SOOOOOO true!

So much of my money has been taken from me by force I feel like I?m in the same boat.  I can?t even take care of my own needs much less help someone else out!

I have a 240+ year old historic property I?ve been trying very hard to restore and unfortunately since I?ve been trying to do all the work myself have found I am unable to keep up with the tests of time?  One of the two barns on my property just had one of the major beams snap clean in half so I?m doing everything I can to find ways to keep it standing long enough to save the money to have it restored.  Since a third to a half of my paycheck is taken from me by force and I know time is running low if I wish to save my barn I have to resort to looking for government grants for historic restorations.  I?m stuck resorting to begging the government for some of my own money back so I can take care of my property? which once I do restore it they?ll turn around and tax me MORE on in property taxes for keeping it up anyway.

Michael Fisher

Ms. Hersey called!

She said her faith in the human race has been restored as several families and businesses called her in the last two days with offers.  At least 5 families in Franklin have offered to help her out in some way!  She has also received calls from restaurants offering free gift certificates for food!

I love this place!  :)

She will weigh her options and give me a call back if she needs anything.

I wonder how many more people are in her situation that need our help but don't make the news...

president

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 02, 2005, 04:20 PM NHFT
I wonder how many more people are in her situation that need our help but don't make the news...
I hear there are over 1000 homeless people in Manchester. That is almost 1% of the population.

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/crimreport/pressrelease.html
20 Meanest Cities:
20. Manchester, New Hampshire
Advocate Cindy Carlson reports police enforce laws arbitrarily against homeless people in Manchester. For example, people found publicly urinating might be cited for a sex offense?like indecent exposure. Homeless people commonly receive citations for sleeping in public/or park curfew violations, public lounging and storage of property on public property. These laws, Carlson states, are enforced strictly against homeless people because people who do not appear homeless will not be cited for lounging or public storage. Police also regularly check ID?s and search bags of homeless people.

There is a downtown bus station (now called a "welcome center") that has an overhang roof. On bad weather days many of the homeless people gather there on park benches. These benches have now been removed. Ironically, the park is named Veterans Park.

Consistent harassment of people in encampments pushes the camps further into the woods, making it difficult for service providers to reach those in need. A new criminal justice block grant, the "Weed-and-Seed" program, seeks to "weed out" the "bad" people by tearing down underbrush and trees camouflaging homeless encampments.

Carlson notes that sweeps occur every time there is an event at the Verizon Civic Center, which is located only a few blocks from major homeless service providers. Police move people along, and former havens by the river are now being cleaned up as a new walkway is being put in. A cemetery where many homeless people stayed is now refurbished, making this haven off limits as well.

NEW HAMPSHIRE COALITION TO END HOMELESSNESS
http://www.charityadvantage.com/NHCEH/Home.asp

Coalition meetings are held the first Friday of every month from 9:30-11:00 a.m.

The August 5th Coalition meeting will be held at The Salvation Army, 58 Clinton Street, Concord, NH 03301.

Kat Kanning

Thanks for the info, mr. president!

Pat McCotter

Quote from: lildog on August 02, 2005, 09:05 AM NHFT
I?ve very mixed feelings regarding this story.?

First off, the fact you are willing to take her in shows you truly are an amazing human being.

I?m appalled though that her two kids wouldn?t take her in.? If it were someone in my family you?d better believe I?d be opening the door for them or I?d look to move with them to help cover the costs of an apartment at the very least.

But what bothers me is that this woman?s problems are brought on herself.? In the fourth paragraph down it states ?After weeks of rocking in bed with pain, she quit her job.?? I feel bad that she had the medical problems that she had but if you are supporting yourself and your family and you up and quit your job what else do you expect to happen?? Things get rough.? People have to deal with hardships everyday.? Some give up as apparently this woman did and others push themselves.

Look at Lance Armstrong.? Do you think he had pain in his life?? Do you think he had to struggle?? Did he quit when it got tough?? Life sucks but you have to make a choice on whether you want to work through pain and hardships or eat dog food while living in your car wondering why the government isn?t giving you enough to live on.

I know this sounds cold but it?s a hard fact of life.? You can?t sit back and hope for people to be kind hearted enough to take care of you? sometimes you have to push through pain and suffering just to put food on the table.

This is going to sound harsh but I have to say it:

I had headaches that were very debilitating. Whenever I would cough, sneeze or bend over I would get excruciating pain. If I had not found the right doctor I would not have been able to continue in my job. The word is "ability" not "desire" to work.

And yes, Lance did quit when it got tough. He had to. He could not ride professionally while going through cancer therapy. He got better and was then able to ride again.

My headaches were able to be controlled with medication. The pain subsided and I did not have to quit.

Shingles is a disease that does not go away. The pain stays. It does not diminish with time. There is no cure for it.

Until you have walked in Kelly's pain or similar do not criticize.

OK, rant over.

Mike and Amethyste, thanks for your hearts in this.