• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Her only housing option: a car

Started by Michael Fisher, August 01, 2005, 08:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Sarcasm is the second cousin of anger.  Are you angry at me for some reason?

Is it really that hard to agree that growing up in a dictatorship has a negative effect on children's responsibility while still applying full personal responsibility to all individuals?

Mark

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 29, 2005, 03:07 PM NHFT
Sarcasm is the second cousin of anger.  Are you angry at me for some reason?

Is it really that hard to agree that growing up in a dictatorship has a negative effect on children's responsibility while still applying full personal responsibility to all individuals?

That wasn't anger at all. It was a gentle ribbing to get you to see another point of view. At least, that's what it was intended to be, and I'm sorry if it came off as anything else.

I'm a firm believer in teaching kids responsibility at home, at school, when I'm coaching them on the ball field, or wherever else they may be. And I do agree with you that schools sometimes fail at accomplishing this. Where I disagree is when the conversation turns to, "Oh, well... what can we expect from town-educated kids... they're just doing what The Man wants them to do."

I see it as primarily MY job to provide moral/ethical/spiritual/etc. guidance while they're young, and THEIR job to take this guidance and shape their own decisions when they're grown. I'm not going to credit the schools when I succeed, or blame them when I fail.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Mark on August 29, 2005, 03:35 PM NHFT
Where I disagree is when the conversation turns to, "Oh, well... what can we expect from town-educated kids... they're just doing what The Man wants them to do."

Yeah, I agree.  That's a little too extreme for me to believe as well.

AlanM

QuoteI do not believe public schools were created for the purpose of destroying the family structure.

Mike, this is one of the stated goals of those who created the educational system used today. Their purpose is to separate the child from the parent as much as they can, in as many ways as they can.

Kat Kanning

Mark

Quote from: katdillon on August 30, 2005, 04:12 AM NHFT
The same attitude I was trying to point out here:

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=1686.0

That's a university, though. The "kids" are adults, and should learn to work out their problems like adults.

By the way, I had a chance to visit Keene again today. It's really quite a nice town.  :)