• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Is there a Bee Crisis?

Started by dalebert, July 25, 2008, 07:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

ByronB

From what I gather it only effects honey-bees and since honey-bees are not native to North America it will mostly just effect the price of honey and of commercial crops that depend on honey bees to pollinate.

Unfortunately no one knows what causes colony collapse disorder, other known diseases may play a part in it... I used to keep some bees but kind of got out of it when I lost some hives to American foul brood and had to burn my equipment to prevent it from spreading to other hives...

Bottom line is that honey bees dying won't cause the death of America, maybe if all pollinating insects died, but honey bees aren't native so other species will happily fill their niche back in.

Puke

Get Congress to make it illegal for bees to die. Problem solved.  :P

toowm

I heard from a beekeeper that CCD may be related to years of breeding bigger bees (more nectar, more honey). There is a (smaller) bug that now fits in a bee's trachea.

The pollination issue could be pretty big because we're so far removed from the native grasses and pollinators .

dalebert

Fortunately, Brian has some kind of bee-shrinker technology.

Jim Johnson

To bee or not to bee... is that the question?

ByronB

Quote from: dalebert on August 19, 2008, 05:48 PM NHFT

Hey, its Byron, not Brian... and I was just pointing out that the honey bees that they are having problems with are NOT native to North America and since other pollinators are not extinct they should a little boost in population from more food since the honey bees aren't getting the food... so I agree that it is not a good thing and we need to look for answers but it ISN'T the end of the world (unless of course this effects other types of wild bees/pollinators as well, then were all screwed).

dalebert

Quote from: ByronB on August 20, 2008, 12:41 AM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on August 19, 2008, 05:48 PM NHFT

Hey, its Byron, not Brian...

Are you Brian Travis, the guy who's planning to raise bees and make honey? The guy who has a special bee hive that makes the bees smaller? I'm confused.

ByronB

Quote from: dalebert on August 20, 2008, 11:11 AM NHFT
Are you Brian Travis, the guy who's planning to raise bees and make honey? The guy who has a special bee hive that makes the bees smaller? I'm confused.

Afraid not, I don't know of any Brian Travis....

I'd like to see a beehive that makes the bees smaller... until then I'll remain a skeptic.

I'm a little confused to, why would I want to make a bee smaller?

Brandon

I want giant bees, I want bees the size of house cats.

Pat K

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT

Were not a gang were a club.

Raineyrocks

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

This thread is hilarious!  You guys are so funny!!! :D

dalebert

Well yeah, if I could control them and I were a super-villian.

ByronB

Don't tell me you know someone called Brian (who you think is actually me) who knows how to make a special beehive to accomplish this feat.

Brandon

Quote from: ByronB on August 21, 2008, 10:44 AM NHFT

Don't tell me you know someone called Brian (who you think is actually me) who knows how to make a special beehive to accomplish this feat.

I wish!