• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

CNN Headline News

Started by Friday, July 30, 2008, 12:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

coffeeseven

I like the video of the 73 year old that returned to his alma mater to play basset ball.

Friday

CNN has this new thing where they profile 'Mericans going through hard times.  Because it's... news.  Today's headline:

From $80,000 a year to eviction: Hard times in America

I've excerpted a few points below:
QuoteJust last week, the 35-year-old longtime working professional attended two job fairs with friends in the Detroit area. They stood in line for over three hours with hundreds of professionals of all types.

"It was a real eye-opener to see the caliber of people we were in line with -- very educated with vast skill sets," Easton said in an e-mail. "Afterwards, we went to the restaurant located in the same hotel and it was filled with unemployed professionals sharing their story, from engineers to graphic designers to marketing professionals."

Easton's saga began in July 2007 when she traded in her job as a corporate compliance officer to attend law school, what she thought would help advance her career. But after a year of law school, she decided it wasn't for her. By then, her old job was gone and the job market had shrunk.

I have absolutely no sympathy for this cow.  She made a radical career change in her mid-30's, then flaked out because it "wasn't for her".  She's still living in the same place she was living when she was making $80K.  She let her car get repo'ed.  She goes from a job fair directly to a restaurant to dine with friends.  She's not even unemployed; she's got a work-at-home gig paying $20K/year.    But it's just not enough to allow her to maintain the lifestyle she led when she made four times as much, and she can't wrap her peabrain around that.  Boo fuckin' hoo.   ::)

And apparently the MSM doesn't see any of this.  They feel she is an innocent victim worthy of being the headline story on their website.  Argh.   :BangHead:

Ogre

And apparently the author of the story didn't ask one big question: If these people were so poor now, so financially in trouble, how is it so many of them were able to afford the hotel restaurant?

KBCraig

Quote from: Ogre on January 28, 2009, 04:53 PM NHFT
And apparently the author of the story didn't ask one big question: If these people were so poor now, so financially in trouble, how is it so many of them were able to afford the hotel restaurant?

Please, surely you don't expect them to actually think ahead about lunch, do you? Besides, a bologna sandwich in a brown paper bag is so... pedestrian.

KBCraig

Quote from: Friday on January 28, 2009, 04:51 PM NHFT
CNN has this new thing where they profile 'Mericans going through hard times.  Because it's... news.
( . . . )
I have absolutely no sympathy for this cow.  She made a radical career change in her mid-30's, then flaked out because it "wasn't for her".  She's still living in the same place she was living when she was making $80K.  She let her car get repo'ed.  She goes from a job fair directly to a restaurant to dine with friends.  She's not even unemployed; she's got a work-at-home gig paying $20K/year.    But it's just not enough to allow her to maintain the lifestyle she led when she made four times as much, and she can't wrap her peabrain around that.  Boo fuckin' hoo.   ::)

And apparently the MSM doesn't see any of this.  They feel she is an innocent victim worthy of being the headline story on their website.  Argh.   :BangHead:

If you want a real sob story, check out this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/nyregion/28daba.html?_r=2

"I snagged a rich investment banker, I so totally did not sign up for this!"

doobie

Quote from: KBCraig on January 30, 2009, 01:40 AM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on January 28, 2009, 04:51 PM NHFT
CNN has this new thing where they profile 'Mericans going through hard times.  Because it's... news.
( . . . )

If you want a real sob story, check out this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/nyregion/28daba.html?_r=2

"I snagged a rich investment banker, I so totally did not sign up for this!"

Bwahahah!  I've never snagged anyone who made more than 30% of what I make, I must be unlucky or make too much money.

Friday

Kat Kanning

I wondered why the heck Friday would want to go, but then I looked at the picture :)

coffeeseven

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/25/tim.masters.year.later/index.html

QuoteMan says bogus conviction leaves him without wife, job

Masters was convicted of murder in 1999, but a judge last year threw out the conviction and released him from prison, citing new evidence that did not implicate Masters. Masters now has a lawsuit pending against several police officers, ex-prosecutors and the city.

The city of Fort Collins has asked a federal judge to dismiss the case.

Pat K

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 01, 2009, 05:52 AM NHFT
I wondered why the heck Friday would want to go, but then I looked at the picture :)

Yeah, but did they show a woman's pic too?
Nooooooooooo, sexist bastards!

Friday

Terrorism, kidnapping among top fears for today's youth

QuoteA study on more than 1,000 children and adolescents in grades 2 through 12 found that some of the 20 most common fears include "terrorist attacks," "having to fight in a war," "drive-by shootings," "tornadoes/hurricanes" and "drowning/swimming in deep water," based on self-reports of how scary each of 98 events or concepts seems.

Good job, MSM, for needlessly terrifying the children of America, and well done, parents, for plopping your offspring in front of the TV and not bothering to explain/clarify/debunk anything they see on it.

Things U.S. children should really be afraid of:
--car accidents
--having no teeth left by age 40
--adult-onset diabetes (although these days, you don't necessarily have to wait until adulthood; progress!   :P )
--looking forward to a future socioeconomic environment radically different, and not in a fun way, from the one in which they're growing up now
--running from mobs of enraged zombies retirees with no retirement savings, no decent healthcare, and no hope
--some a-holes in Washington D.C. deciding to stick a gun you don't know how to operate in your hands, dress you in khaki (which, trust me, kid, is not your color) and send you to BumFuck, Hellistan, to "fight" for "freedom"

>:(

Discipula

I just asked my seven year old what she is most afraid of. The answer was "sometimes spiders, and Blackee (her dog) eating this bug in the living room."

Friday

Pat K

And they have no insurance!

Going to be a lack of topless toast for a while.

Pat McCotter

Arrrrggghh! Where to go for coffee and donuts, now!?!?!?