• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Gun Laws, Out of state buyer?

Started by FutureFreeStater, July 30, 2008, 03:17 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureFreeStater

Hi, I am brand new here refered by Dave Ridley.  My name is Eric and I am a 26yo currently living in CT. I am a libertarian and Ron Paul supporter. I tried to do some searching on the internet but could not find an answer to my question. Is it legal for a currently non resident of NH with proper id to buy a pistol or long gun from a dealer there in NH? I ask this because I wanted to buy a pistol for home protection but CT laws require a pistol permit to buy the gun in the first place even if you are not using it to carry outside of the home. I herd that NH has an instant backround check process instead of waiting a year like CT and jumping thru a bunch of hoops. I took the pistol course here in ct, I am 26 and do not have any felony convictions.

My second question would be, if I cannot buy with an out of state id, If I moved to NH anyway in the future how long would I have to live there or what would I have to do in order to be eligible as I am debaiting moving there anyway?

Thanks for your time!!

Eric

41mag

Federal law allows purchase of a long gun by a non-resident.  Handguns can only be purchased in your state of residence.

I suppose this infringement of your right to keep arms is supported by the recent Heller decision.   :P

doobie

You can buy a long-arm from a FFL as long as said long arm is legal in your state.  In theory it is up to the FFL to determine if it is legal in your home state or not.

If you move to NH and are a US citizen you can buy as soon as you have your NH papers in order (drivers license, lease, etc).

If you move to NH and are a resident alien, you have a 90 day wait.

If you move to NH buy a firearm, but move out of state back to CT within a short amount of time*, then your purchase would be considered as if you purchased as a CT resident as the feds wouldn't consider you a NH citizen when you made the purchase, which means it could be illegal. 

* I think the short amount of time is somewhere around 90-180 days.