• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Buying winter wear...

Started by PowerPenguin, August 04, 2008, 05:17 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Here's a marginally stupid question from someone who will be moving from socal soon: I'm moving in the next month or so. In September, should I reasonably be able to expect thrift store places like Goodwill to still have cheap winter coats, etc. in stock? I bought a very nice leather jacket I have in July from a Salvation Army store 4 or 5 years ago, so I would assume the chances of finding something else would be decent.

Ron Helwig

I would expect they would still have stuff like that available.

My suggestion would be to go out shopping with someone who moved from the south before last winter. They might think of things you might not, like warm socks or something.

It would do you no good to do that with me though. I moved from Minnesota, and for me winter preparations here are something like pulling out the long sleeve shirts  :D

PowerPenguin

Damn you are too hardcore for me! 8-) I've done a lot of winter backpacking, etc. so it's not like I don't have anything, just nothing that's all that useful at less than 25F or so. REI needs to open a NH location... A dividend plus no sales tax would be so sexy...

Update: I went to some thrift stores around here and there wasn't anything of use. I figured as much but I decided to try anyway just for the hell of it.

JonM

Well there is an REI in Reading MA, and you can combine the trip with a visit to Jordan's Furniture down there to watch and IMAX film, get some ice cream and maybe pick up some milk . . .  perhaps even take a trapeze lesson.  There is also a K&G superstore in Reading, which sometimes has good deals on clothing.  Worth checking out if you're down there, it's just down the street from Jordans.

MA does not charge sales tax on clothing under like $175 an article.  And they do have a sales tax holiday coming up in a week and a half.

doobie

Quote from: PowerPenguin on August 06, 2008, 02:42 AM NHFT
Damn you are too hardcore for me! 8-) I've done a lot of winter backpacking, etc. so it's not like I don't have anything, just nothing that's all that useful at less than 25F or so. REI needs to open a NH location... A dividend plus no sales tax would be so sexy...

It gets below 25F often in NH esp if you are up north...  :)

I've been asking REI when they are opening a NH location for about 5 years....  they opened one in RI instead.  I think the fear would be that it would either be in the middle of no where that people wouldn't go to it... or that it'd cut into the profits from REI in Reading/Boston/Framingham.  I watch their website/specials and wait until they have a free shipping and order order order!

But also remember MA is tax free on clothing items up to $250/item. 

KBCraig

Quote from: doobie on August 06, 2008, 03:36 PM NHFT
I've been asking REI when they are opening a NH location for about 5 years....  they opened one in RI instead.

That makes sense, what with RI being famous for its mountain climbing and all, eh?

::)

PowerPenguin

But also remember MA is tax free on clothing items up to $250/item. 

Damn MA isn't as bad as CA? We have approximately 7.75% (plus or minus probably .25 depending on city/county) on everything except food items, which doesn't include booze, prepared food, or even bottled water (CRV). No tax holidays, only a pledge from Arnold to up the sales tax 1% "temporarily." As the weeks go on, CA gets more sad and pathetic. Luckily I'm moving soon.

PS- I already knew about the Reading, MA location from the website. Also, there are THREE REIs in San Diego county, so maybe there's something else in play for them (but maybe not who knows).

PowerPenguin

I got myself a North Face 700 down jacket. Go me!

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on August 06, 2008, 08:47 PM NHFT
I've been asking REI when they are opening a NH location for about 5 years....  they opened one in RI instead.

That makes sense, what with RI being famous for its mountain climbing and all, eh?

::)

I hear they have a 600 footer!

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: PowerPenguin on August 04, 2008, 05:17 PM NHFT
Here's a marginally stupid question from someone who will be moving from socal soon: I'm moving in the next month or so. In September, should I reasonably be able to expect thrift store places like Goodwill to still have cheap winter coats, etc. in stock? I bought a very nice leather jacket I have in July from a Salvation Army store 4 or 5 years ago, so I would assume the chances of finding something else would be decent.

Remember when buying winter clothing this word "wool". Best winter cloth there is.

PowerPenguin

Cool thanks for the tip! I also have a down mummy bag if I get really desperate ;)

Heyduke

Why would you want an REI, when Eastern Mountain Sports is based in NH?  Same thing for Timberland--keep the coin in state. 

www.ems.com
www.timberland.com

Recumbent ReCycler

If your shoe size is 9-1/2W, I have a pair of cold weather boots up for sale on ebay.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320308415594

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Heyduke on October 06, 2008, 10:50 AM NHFT
Why would you want an REI, when Eastern Mountain Sports is based in NH?  Same thing for Timberland--keep the coin in state. 

www.ems.com
www.timberland.com

And there is the MA based RailRider and the ME based LL Bean.

Heyduke

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on October 06, 2008, 02:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: Heyduke on October 06, 2008, 10:50 AM NHFT

www.ems.com
www.timberland.com

And there is the MA based RailRider and the ME based LL Bean.

very true, but i was trying to say--support local businesses first...