• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

In lieu of cell coverage... satellite internet?

Started by OferNave, August 07, 2008, 10:52 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

OferNave

I understand that Grafton doesn't have much in the way of DSL or Cable broadband access.  It's pretty much dial-up or satellite.

I've started research satellite internet for the first time (never needed it before), and I'm finding it hard to get good info.  The most accessible service I've found so far is a company called Wild Blue, but it's too expensive for what you get ($185 to start and $56/month with 2 year contract for a measly 512kb/128kb).

Does anyone (especially ya'll Graftonites) have any positive experiences with satellite internet you'd like to share?

error

Hughes (formerly DirecPC) has 1.0Mbit/128k for $59 with upfront equipment purchase.

(Unfortunately this deal isn't in my advertiser network yet so I can't make any money off it... oh well. ;)

K. Darien Freeheart

Internet infrastructure in general sucks in America. :( I'd love to be able to do some wideband co-op for Porcs, but the logistics simply don't work out. :(

Russell Kanning

Free libertarian

Wild Blue.  The modem speed isn't important to me, because I can't read very fast anyway.  ;D

PattyLee loves dogs

QuoteI understand that Grafton doesn't have much in the way of DSL or Cable broadband access.  It's pretty much dial-up or satellite.

Unless you have LOS within two miles of the endor.com headquarters... have you tried to see whether you get a signal?

Lex

I live in Grafton and have Wild Blue. It works alright.

Can you explain what you mean by "in lieu of cell coverage"? What does satellite internet have to do with cell coverage? There is cell service in a lot of parts of Grafton.

41mag

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 09, 2008, 10:40 AM NHFT
I live in Grafton and have Wild Blue. It works alright.

Can you explain what you mean by "in lieu of cell coverage"? What does satellite internet have to do with cell coverage? There is cell service in a lot of parts of Grafton.
I'm on a cell modem (EVDO) so that may be what the reference is to.