• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Habitats for Porcupines

Started by William, August 07, 2008, 03:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

William

As the name implies, this will be a thread where we can organize "habitat for humanity" or Amish "barn raising type events. The purposes and benefits are many and varied. Many hands make light work. Let's build a team / community. I met many people who were in the middle of projects and couldn't help thinking that instead of 6 groups all working on partially completed projects, we should take turns finishing them.

The sum is greater than it's parts i.e. it would take longer for 3 people to build a shed each by themselves than for the three of them to build three sheds together. Plus there is the human element.

I'm going to start this off with Project 1. I hope that the others who need help will jump on this resource.

Tom Ploszaj

let's hear more ... could Shire hours be incorporated?

Russell Kanning

Mike Barskey

I've heard the term "barn raising" used here occasionally in the past year or so. How are y'all using it? Are you literally building barns? Are you building anything, but with the quality of a barn? Do you mean it generally, like whenever someone needs something built, at whatever degree of competence they want ("crappy-but-fast" to "done-by-professionals")?

I know some of y'all helped Mark build his house. Would that have been considered a barn-raising event?

Thanks for updating me.

William

Quote from: Tom Ploszaj on August 07, 2008, 03:24 PM NHFT
let's hear more ... could Shire hours be incorporated?

Absolutely! See my latest post "Project 1" for details including dates and locations.

William

Quote from: Mike in CA on August 07, 2008, 03:51 PM NHFT
I've heard the term "barn raising" used here occasionally in the past year or so. How are y'all using it? Are you literally building barns? Are you building anything, but with the quality of a barn? Do you mean it generally, like whenever someone needs something built, at whatever degree of competence they want ("crappy-but-fast" to "done-by-professionals")?

I know some of y'all helped Mark build his house. Would that have been considered a barn-raising event?

Thanks for updating me.

What I am referring to is what is practiced in the Amish communities. If a storm or fire destroys a barn (or they just need to put up a new one) word goes out through the local community and dozens of people show up for one day and build it. Similar things are done by other religious and secular organizations such as Jehovahs Witnesses and Habitat for Humanity. It's a basic concept of community.

I strongly recommend that anyone who has or will have a construction project going on dig in and get this moving. It's a win win situation. 

Mike Barskey

error

Yes, but in this community we have better tools for spreading the word through the local community, like Porcupine 411. :)

Russell Kanning

and usually it has meant anything worth building .... or tearing down ... not just barns :)