• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Luke12000 is back!

Started by dalebert, August 07, 2008, 11:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

K. Darien Freeheart

The reason I have a problem with the term government in general is that it makes a weird assumption that certain categories of "services" are ipso facto "government services".

Why, when discussing putting fire protection services into a free market someone might be inclined to say that it's moved from an "authoritarian government" to a "voluntary government". It works the EXACT same way as any other service so why should that be distinguished from say the "voluntary government" service of buying Xboxes at Target or Wal-Mart?

Government, in my mind, REQUIRES force. No force, no government. The fact that certain services are handled by governments today don't make them "government services" so switching calling them voluntary government services is kind of pointless.

John Edward Mercier

It more a mindset. At one time, no fire or police departments existed even in the largest cities. Then voluntary associations began providing this service... and people's mindset began to feel it necessary.

Its like roads... if no formal maintenance of roads occurred, believe me the world wouldn't shut down.
The structure of transport would simply change, as it has in the past.