• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Secession and Reform

Started by CSAnarchist, August 10, 2008, 02:57 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

BillKauffman

Quote from: Free libertarian on August 15, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFT
I'm also a fan of the American Indian, if you're not using it, why is it your land thing, but that doesn't fly today for  alot of reasons.

I submit where we are now could be a transitional stepping stone back to a feudal system where the average person "owns" nothing and is merely a tenant.

How do you explain Hong Kong? Nobody owns their own land, it is all leased, yet they consistently score near the top on all the economic freedom indexes.

dalebert

Quote from: Free libertarian on August 15, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFTI'm also a fan of the American Indian, if you're not using it, why is it your land thing, but that doesn't fly today for  alot of reasons.

Without a state, I think the various notions of property will tend to result in a reasonable commonality ending up somewhere in between the radical ends of the scale, i.e. somewhere between "stick a flag in it and you own it" and "you can't own anything and it stops being your property the moment you stop actively using it". I think both sides have something to contribute to the debate and these issues will find their reasonable boundaries by interactions in the free market including free courts, DROs, etc. This might upset some of the more intense property rights people, but I think it's the reality. There are hard principles but no hard lines in reality. The state merely makes arbitrary lines seem hard by the constant threat of force to back up their decrees.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: BillKauffman on August 16, 2008, 09:13 PM NHFT

How do you explain Hong Kong? Nobody owns their own land, it is all leased, yet they consistently score near the top on all the economic freedom indexes.

So who are they leasing from - there are the owners.

John Edward Mercier

Many NA tribes were not agricultural, so actual 'homesteading' didn't occur.
The current system works, and would work without the government-ownership of property.
Many homeowner/condo associations have common property... and many partnerships have collective property.