• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Silver overseas..

Started by memenode, August 06, 2008, 07:44 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrodog

5 oz of ag is not worth a dealers bother to ship overseas..... what country are you in and who are you.....

PowerPenguin

That's very true. I had over 200 digital liberty dollars, and look what happened to them! :'(

memenode

Quote from: hydrodog on August 10, 2008, 05:40 PM NHFT
5 oz of ag is not worth a dealers bother to ship overseas..... what country are you in and who are you.....

As mentioned elsewhere, Croatia, but if you'd need more info I can talk in PM. Though if you're concerned about fraud, thing is you first get paid and then you ship, so I think whoever is taking the deal doesn't have anything to worry about. :)

5 oz isn't much maybe, yeah, but then if shipping is covered and if you wish you charge some provision and it's a private one on one deal what can you lose?  8)

Cheers

memenode

Hmm.. nobody?

Another option I suppose is ebay, but I have to be quite careful about fraud there. If anyone by chance knows any rebutable bullion sellers on ebay let me know.

Thanks

PattyLee loves dogs

Kitco ships overseas, but they have a $25 fee for overseas bank drafts (not worth it for 5 oz.):

https://online.kitco.com/sellprice/Ordr_Faq.htm

In the US, if one wanted a small quantity of silver one would go to a coin dealer or a flea market. Is there some restriction on silver purchase in Croatia?

memenode

I don't there are restrictions. I've seen a national bank offer some for sale, but it's all above the price and actually even more expensive than any other methods. It's just hard to get apparently. Jewelries can mint it, but they too charge too much. I guess that market is severely underdeveloped here.

I ended up being a bit impulsive and getting a couple of items from ebay.. combined it will cost me $20 in addition to its actual market value. Still below $25 from kitco and less than elsewhere. ;) One of them is a gram of .999 gold from Turkey. :)

It might not be the smartest purchase, but for lack of options and considering I'm just getting started and really want to come into posession of some of this stuff, any way I can... I think it's not a bad thing. Considering that just few months ago I couldn't get silver ounce below $30 on ebay including shipping and now I'm getting it for $26 including shipping suggests that I'm nevertheless benefiting slightly from the current low price and should the price start rising again by the end of 2008 and in 2009 I might well recoup the cost. :P

So I'm just dipping my fingers into it. If all goes well this time I'll probably order greater amounts later to better justify the shipping costs.

I'm mostly buying it as a method of saving up. Instead of just having dollars laying around on accounts and slipping away as USD keeps falling, it seems better to convert it to some metals, even if it costed me some shipping bucks initially.

</rant>

John Edward Mercier

memenode

Nope, it has its own currency, but since my business is online and I sell in USD I am dependent on it so I feel its fluctuations quite a bit, arguably even more than those inside USA since I convert it to my local currency for local needs so depending on how high or low USD is I get more or less.

PattyLee loves dogs

QuoteConsidering that just few months ago I couldn't get silver ounce below $30 on ebay including shipping and now I'm getting it for $26 including shipping

You should open a coin shop. Croatia doesn't have any armed robbers, right  ;D?

memenode

Well I know of one armed robbery organization here. They call themselves "Republic of Croatia".

Otherwise, I don't know. :P

That idea did cross my mind though, but I doubt it's gonna be profitable if I keep ordering my goods from ebay. :D It'd require some connections.. and it's possible that the mentioned organization doesn't allow it. It's possible that's the reason why we don't have any yet.

PattyLee loves dogs

QuoteThat idea did cross my mind though, but I doubt it's gonna be profitable if I keep ordering my goods from ebay.

Just ask Burt Blumert, he'll tell you if there's any problem shipping wholesale (or retail) to you:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blumert/burt-gold.html

memenode

I'll keep him in mind for next time, thanks.

I just received my first gram of gold. :) Gotta be honest, the ebay seller I got it from has some potentially pretty good deals, at or only little over the spot price, especially if buying more at once (like 5 or 10 grams) because the shipping is free. And a good thing about gold is that it's so darn valuable that even 5 grams seems like something significant, yet it's so small, light and hence less likely to cause problems in the post.

For the value of 5 grams of gold I could get around 10 ounces of silver, which is around 310 grams.. you can feel that in your hands so probably more risky to ship...

I wonder though, about the real value of physical ownership of silver and gold in a country where the culture of trading in metals is practically zero and there are almost no libertarians... Only thing I can do with it if I ever decide to sell is to sell on ebay again. What do you think?

I really need to get wealthier and move to NH. :D Everything would fit in better then. :)