• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freeman or Lawless?

Started by FTL_Ian, August 20, 2008, 02:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

I think it's kind of wierd to change your name based on some silly conspiracy stuff.
But regardless, I like Freeman.

Now you just need a crowbar.  ;)

FTL_Ian

Quote from: dalebert on August 21, 2008, 09:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 21, 2008, 12:03 AM NHFT
And dreepa breathes a sigh of relief...  ;)

I am so jealous of Dreepa for having a name like that!

You could just change yours.  No need to be jealous: Dale Lawless

FTL_Ian

Law is very deliberate about little things.  As I said, I don't know if the conspiracy claims are true about the ALL CAPS "person", but I do know that Sam believes he wasn't arrested recently because the cops couldn't verify his "legal" name.  There seems to be some validity to separating yourself from the legal name and instead acting as the agent for the legal name.

FTL_Ian

Mostly though, it's just personal.  Freeman is more descriptive of who I am today and who I want to be, while Bernard is a vestige of my past.

Coconut

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 21, 2008, 05:05 PM NHFT
I do know that Sam believes he wasn't arrested recently because the cops couldn't verify his "legal" name.  There seems to be some validity to separating yourself from the legal name and instead acting as the agent for the legal name.

And with all the rules police and the courts break, you think they didn't arrest him because of some obscure legal name thing?

Friday

Quote from: dalebert on August 21, 2008, 09:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 21, 2008, 12:03 AM NHFT
And dreepa breathes a sigh of relief...  ;)

I am so jealous of Dreepa for having a name like that!
Yeah, me too.  Actually, the day I met Dreepa, at a NorCal FSP Local Group meeting, there was also a guy named John Galt in attendance!   :o

But Dreepa is in a fight-to-the-death struggle in the coolest name award competition by an employee of one of my clients, who is named... Jonny Reckless.   8)

Russell Kanning

Ian Freeman ... hmmm

well we perform Christenings a little different here in the Shire

we baptize you by throwing you in a cold lake or ocean and let you out once you answer to your assigned name

or if you want to go a more voluntary route, we could have a name change event of some sort ... some people are even added to an official list and some even get Shire cards for their wallets :)

K. Darien Freeheart

I keep seeing your name typed and wanna say "Spice must flow" but that would be rude.

Good luck with the name change. It's been years since mine (and I did it the "legal" way) and I still run into issues.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Coconut on August 21, 2008, 07:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 21, 2008, 05:05 PM NHFT
I do know that Sam believes he wasn't arrested recently because the cops couldn't verify his "legal" name.  There seems to be some validity to separating yourself from the legal name and instead acting as the agent for the legal name.

And with all the rules police and the courts break, you think they didn't arrest him because of some obscure legal name thing?

I don't suggest this will prevent you from being arrested, but if you refuse to confirm their suspicions about who you are it makes their job much more difficult.

This is the main reason why they demand your name and DOB.  They want your consent to link you to their corporate person, especially if it's "wanted".

FTL_Ian

Go watch some videos of Irene Gravenhorst.  She's a crazy conspiracy Canuck, but how she handles the cops is pretty interesting.

Puke

It is interesting when one thinks about one's name.
It's something that is used everyday to identify who you are, an yet it was just given to you by someone else before you were even born.
It's like a constant reminder that someone else is in control of your life.
I like the way NA Indians do it (Or the way I recall movie Indians doing it.) where the child gets his real name later in life after some event or personality trait.

Puke

Oh, another thing to think about is why do I have to go to a judge to change my name?
That's always made me wonder.

Friday

Quote from: Puke on August 22, 2008, 05:31 AM NHFT
It is interesting when one thinks about one's name.
It's something that is used everyday to identify who you are, an yet it was just given to you by someone else before you were even born.
It's like a constant reminder that someone else is in control of your life.
I like the way NA Indians do it (Or the way I recall movie Indians doing it.) where the child gets his real name later in life after some event or personality trait.
Roman Catholics do the same thing.  I selected my own, new, name at age 12/13 as part of Confirmation, which is the "coming of age" sacrement.  Not only that, but I did it in a legally Muslim country, so the very act of expressing my (then) religious beliefs was illegal and a small F.U. to the state.   :icon_pirat:

I also did a NA Indian-style vision quest, which involved solo camping and fasting in the wilderness for 4 days, in my mid-twenties (hey, I'm from Marin County, so sue me  :P ), and selected another name then.

So the name the government has on file for me is not my real name.  My real name is almost, but not quite, as long as Francisco D'Anconia's, and just as floridly Latin, with every part of it ending in a vowel.   >:D

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Puke on August 22, 2008, 05:32 AM NHFT
Oh, another thing to think about is why do I have to go to a judge to change my name?
That's always made me wonder.

Because it's THEIR legal name they assigned you when your parents filled out the birth certificate.  There's a difference between legal and lawful names...

KBCraig