• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NCAA Bans Indian Mascots From Postseason

Started by Otosan, August 05, 2005, 05:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Otosan

This PC BS is driving me crazy  :P

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The list of schools affected by the NCAA's decision Friday on American Indian mascots and nicknames:

- Alcorn State University (Braves)

- Central Michigan University (Chippewas)

- Catawba College (Indians)

- Florida State University (Seminoles)

- Midwestern State University (Indians)

- University of Utah (Utes)

- Indiana University-Pennsylvania (Indians)

- Carthage College (Redmen)

- Bradley University (Braves)

- Arkansas State University (Indians)

- Chowan College (Braves)

- University of Illinois (Illini)

- University of Louisiana-Monroe (Indians)

- McMurry University (Indians)

- Mississippi College (Choctaws)

- Newberry College (Indians)

- University of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux)

- Southeastern Oklahoma State University (Savages)

Russell Kanning

What my Utes :o
(pronounced like "My Cousin Vinny")

Pat K

KBCraig

NCAA is a quasi-private organization (it's private, but "quasi-" because it controls university athletics that are mostly tax-funded).

I foresee an alternative private market solution: "fu@! the NCAA, we'll have our own tournament!"

I only say this because we're not talking about Podunk U.; we're talking about Florida State and U. Illinois, among others powerhouses in various sports. The people of Florida (well, those who aren't Miami or Florida fans) will take up arms before they'll accept changing the Seminole marque.

I'd love to see it come to this kind of a showdown.  ;D

Kevin

Otosan

Kinda of an update.....NCAA said the clothes with the moniker would also be banned.  Along with the masscots.

Flordia State has filed as suite against the NCAA.

By no means am I a Flordia State fan or supporter, but I kinda hope they are #1 at the end of the yr and could play for the National Championship....then see what the NCAA would do?

Another thought....Flordia state vs University of Illinois for the national chapionship!  ;D

Why stop at Indian mascots, why not the Cowboys, Vikings, Buccaneers, Pirates, and all the endangered spices such as tigers, eagles, and owls...etc....?

Stupid PC

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

The state of Utah is named for the tribe.....do they have to change that name also? ::)

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on August 06, 2005, 01:26 PM NHFT
The state of Utah is named for the tribe.....do they have to change that name also? ::)

So are Illinois, the Dakotas, and Arkansas (sort of... it's actually a Caddo phrase for "down river people").

Pure silliness. May the NIT turn into the tournament, instead of "the other tournament"!

Kevin

Kat Kanning

The ACLU should get involved...it's discrimination against indians.

Eagle

I don't like it...I tell Ya...not one bit!

The name of the lake at my ol' home town just better stay intact...or I'll...I'll...
Scalp 'Em!!!  >:(

/////

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaugg

The name means "the fishing place at the boundaries and neutral meeting grounds," said Wise Owl, chief of the Chaubunagungamaug band of Nipmucks, who were the first to fish here. The Nipmucks and their neighbors, the Narragansetts, Pequots and Mohegans, all gathered at the 1,300-acre lake, still known for its bass, trout, and pike fishing.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Eagle on August 06, 2005, 04:25 PM NHFT
I don't like it...I tell Ya...not one bit!

The name of the lake at my ol' home town just better stay intact...or I'll...I'll...
Scalp 'Em!!!? >:(

/////

The name means "the fishing place at the boundaries and neutral meeting grounds," said Wise Owl, chief of the Chaubunagungamaug band of Nipmucks, who were the first to fish here. The Nipmucks and their neighbors, the Narragansetts, Pequots and Mohegans, all gathered at the 1,300-acre lake, still known for its bass, trout, and pike fishing.

I always learned it meant "you fish on your side, I'll fish on mine, no one fishes in the middle."

Eagle

Hi Patmccotter,

Just a nasty rumor started from an article that was never squelched... : )

In the 1920?s, when he was still a reporter being paid by the word at the Webster Times, Lawrence Daly, with more imagination than facts, printed a version that has become a better known than real story.

In Daly?s tale, the name arose from the summit meeting of two tribes living at opposite ends of the lake.

?They named this beautiful lake after the terms of that treaty,? he wrote. ?Chargoggagogg, ?You fish on your side,? Manchauggagogg, ?I fish on my side,? and Chaubunagungamaugg, ?Nobody fish in the middle.??

Daly, who later became editor of the Webster Times, tried for more than 20 years to debunk his ?fanciful tale?.

?But nothing he did made any difference,? Patenaude said. ?It was completely beyond his control.?

http://www.websterlakeassociation.com/GeneralInterest/NameKneeDeepInLetters.htm

AlanM

Shorty Dawkins once tried to pronounce it, but he must have had too much brown ale.  ;D

Pat McCotter

Thanks Eagle, for correcting the story for me. But that version is just too good to give up.

Like the meaning of the word kangaroo. Cook asked his guides what that animal was and they said, "Kangaroo" or "I don't know." OED says this "seems to be of recent origin and lacks confirmation."

Oh well, live and learn but enjoy life!

Cheers!
Pat