• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Voluntary standards and certification organizations.

Started by Puke, August 25, 2008, 05:57 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

I was looking at a marker today and noticed this seal with the text "Conforms to ASTM D4236".
The seal also said ACMI (Art & Creative Materials Institute).
Being curious what this was I did some google searches.
www.ASTM.org is "...one of the largest voluntary standards development organizations in the world-a trusted source for technical standards for materials, products, systems, and services. Known for their high technical quality and market relevancy,...".
And the ACMI is a non-profit art supplies safety certification institute. www.acminet.org

So here are two more non-government and voluntary organizations that test product safety.
I just thought I would share that.  :)

KBCraig

And of course there's always Underwriters Laboratories, which is private, voluntary, and for-profit.

I'm sure there are government regulations requiring UL certification in some applications, so that part isn't voluntary.

Puke

Quote from: KBCraig on August 25, 2008, 08:02 PM NHFT
And of course there's always Underwriters Laboratories, which is private, voluntary, and for-profit.

I'm sure there are government regulations requiring UL certification in some applications, so that part isn't voluntary.

Many people know of UL though. I've never heard of wither of these two organizations.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: KBCraig on August 25, 2008, 08:02 PM NHFT

Usually they require third party verification, sort of a de facto as the third party needs many times to be recognized in the field.

Pat McCotter

American Society for Testing and Materials (of course they are now ASTM International - that pesky American in that name)

The government usses their standards for many regulations.

Fuels are the big thing I have come across - government wants biodiesel to conform to ASTM D6751. I just want to makeit, use it and sell it. If I don't make it properly it will screw up my car. If it screws up my car it will screw up my customers' cars.

Look through some of the standards to see how much they get into details. Government just laps this up.

Pat McCotter

Health Canada wants bunk beds to conform to ASTM F1427
http://astm.org/home170.htm
http://69.7.224.88/default.aspx?pageid=1475
QuoteHealth Canada Advisory Cites ASTM International Bunk Bed Standard

An ASTM International standard for bunk beds is prominently cited in a recently released advisory from Health Canada, the federal department that is responsible for helping Canadians maintain and improve their health. The standard, ASTM F1427, Consumer Safety Specification for Bunk Beds, is under the jurisdiction of Subcommittee F15.30 on Bunk Beds, which is part of ASTM International Committee F15 on Consumer Products.

The Health Canada advisory states, "When purchasing a bunk bed, make sure it meets the latest version of the ASTM F1427 standard. The current edition is 2007. If there are no labels indicating compliance with the latest ASTM F1427 standard, ask the store before you buy, or contact the manufacturer for more information."

ASTM F1427, which is used by manufacturers, importers and distributors, establishes minimum requirements for the design and performance of bunk beds and also contains requirements for labeling and instructional material.

"We applaud Health Canada's efforts to improve the safety of bunk beds in Canada with the issuance of this advisory and are pleased that they have recognized the importance of ASTM F1427 and its value in protecting Canadian consumers from injury," says Bill Perdue, chair of Subcommittee F15.30, and vice president, environmental safety, health and standards, American Home Furnishing Alliance.

In addition to citing ASTM F1427, Health Canada provided the following safety tips concerning bunk beds in its advisory:

-Children should be taught how to use bunk beds safely. The top bunk is not safe for children
under six years of age.
-Allow only one person on the top bunk, and do not allow children to play on or under bunk beds
unless the area under the bed is designed by the manufacturer as a play area or study center.
-The bed should have all guardrails installed at all times, even if the bed is pushed up against a
wall.
-Check regularly to make sure the bed frame is sturdy.
-Never tie ropes or cords, such as belts for bathrobes or skipping ropes, to any part of the bed. 
These can pose serious strangulation hazards.
-Check to ensure the bed comes with instructions for assembly and has a label with safety
warnings. Read and follow these instructions and warnings carefully.

Pat McCotter

Safer Toys for Consumers: New Law Requires ASTM Toy Safety Standard
http://astm.org/home171.htm
http://69.7.224.88/default.aspx?pageid=1478
QuoteSafer Toys for Consumers: New Law Requires ASTM Toy Safety Standard

President Bush has approved a new law requiring that toys sold in the United States be tested to the ASTM International F963 toy safety standard.

"By requiring that children's products be held to a higher safety standard and tested, we can stop unsafe ones from entering the marketplace," said Sen. Bill Nelson, who is pleased that the new Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 includes toy safety requirements he championed in Congress. ASTM F963, Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Toy Safety, will be a mandatory requirement for toys while the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) studies the standard's effectiveness and issues final consumer guidelines for toy safety hazards, including magnets.

"When powerful magnets emerged as a new toy safety hazard, technical experts from ASTM Committee F15 recognized the seriousness of the issue and quickly worked to update the F963 toy safety standard," said Sen. Nelson. "These standards also provide an open, collaborative process to address changing conditions needed to ensure the safety of toys and children's products."

A coalition of consumer advocate groups strongly supported the toy safety provisions crafted by Nelson. "Making compliance with ASTM F963 mandatory is a big step toward rebuilding consumer confidence in the safety of toys," said Donald Mays, senior director of product safety for Consumers Union, the publisher of Consumer Reports.  Mays is an active member of ASTM International where he participates in Committee F15 on Consumer Products.

The ASTM F963 standard incorporates relevant safety measures already required under federal law and includes additional guidelines and test methods to prevent injuries from choking, sharp edges and other potential hazards. ASTM Committee F15 — which includes technical experts from academia, consumer groups, industry and government — regularly reviews and updates the F963 toy safety standard.

The law also authorizes significant increases in CPSC funding and instructs the federal agency to implement a number of new safety regulations. "Media reports and consumer advocates have called this bill the most important piece of consumer product safety legislation in a generation. I call it legislation that is long overdue," said Sen. Daniel Inouye, who chairs the Senate committee that oversees the CPSC.

In addition to requiring toy safety standards, the law sets strict limits on lead content in children's products. Instructions added to the legislation to facilitate its implementation direct CPSC to complete a regulation requiring lighters to meet ASTM F400, Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Lighters, as well as consider new safety rules for equestrian helmets and furniture tip-over hazards.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act legislation signed by President Bush includes the Danny Keysar Child Product Safety Notification Act, which requires the CPSC to issue new rules for durable infant products — such as cribs, toddler beds and strollers — based on existing voluntary consensus standards such as those maintained by ASTM International.

To learn more about how you can become a member of ASTM International and participate in standards development, visit www.astm.org.  For more information about ASTM Committee F15, contact Len Morrissey, Technical Committee Operations, ASTM International (phone: 610-832-9719; lmorriss@astm.org).

Pat McCotter

So why do we have the Consumer Products Safety Commission if we can just enact laws saying conform to the private ASTM standard?

error

Quote from: Pat McCotter on August 26, 2008, 04:23 AM NHFT
So why do we have the Consumer Products Safety Commission if we can just enact laws saying conform to the private ASTM standard?

Because people are too ill-informed, too lazy to inform themselves, and too stupid for it to make a difference. That's why government has to make decisions for people.