• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Public School Nightmare - Book Excerpt

Started by AnarcSyn, August 26, 2008, 02:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AnarcSyn

public education hasn't been an issue i've investigated much... but, after reading the observations of secular and religious minded parents in their struggles w/ public education, and their desire to home school, i got a bit curious and began to look at the issue w/ an empty mind...

an anarchist oriented info-blog has posted an excerpt from the book "Everywhere All the Time: A New Deschooling Reader"

its an essay by John Taylor Gatto: "John worked as a scriptwriter in the film business, an advertising writer, a taxi driver, a jewelry designer, an ASCAP songwriter, and a hotdog vendor before becoming a schoolteacher. He climaxed his teaching career as New York State Teacher of the Year after being named New York City Teacher of the Year on three occasions. He quit teaching on the Op Ed page of  The Wall Street Journal in 1991 while still New York State Teacher of the Year, claiming that he was no longer willing to hurt children. His books include: Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling  (1992); The Exhausted School (1993); A Different Kind of Teacher  (2000); and The Underground History Of American Education  (2001)."

http://www.revolutionbythebook.akpress.org/the-public-school-nightmare-book-excerpt/

perhaps you'll find the essay as interesting as i have, and worth a post or two of your thoughts..

Be Well

DagnyTaggart

Anyone reading up on the subject here are just a few great books.  I have a few more great ones if anyone is interested.

Battling Corruption in America's Public Schools by Lydia Segal
Cheating Our Kids: How Politics and Greed Ruin Education by Joe Williams
Power Grab: How the National Education Association Is Betraying our Children by G. Gregory Moo
Public Education: An Autopsy by Myron Lieberman
School Corruption: Betrayal of Children and the Public Trust by Armand A. Fusco
The Conspiracy of Ignorance The Failure of American Schools by Martin L. Gross
The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt
The Teachers' Union: How the NEA and AFT Sabotage Reform and Hold Students, Parents, Teachers, and Taxpayers Hostage to Bureaucracy by Myron Lieberman
The Worm in the Apple: How the Teachers Unions are Destroying American Education by Peter Brimelow

Porcupine_in_MA

I've heard that The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America is particularly good.