• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Standing at government school with "Report school abuses here" sign?

Started by TackleTheWorld, August 24, 2008, 05:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

The police talked to us twice.  The first one asked what we were doing, and what agency we were with.  I said we were asking questions and we are just people.  I asked him what he was doing.  He said he was doing the same thing.  I expressed happiness that we were all doing equally good things.

The second one shouted at us as we were leaving.  He said if we came back and stood on school property we would get a ticket for trespassing. 

TackleTheWorld

Jesse thought the "Report abuse" sign was too hostile, possibly repelling people and making them side with the authorities.  He could be right.

If anyone can offer improvements in the survey or tactics, please do.

Kat Kanning

bigmike

when i was visiting manchester there was a high school down the street. most of the students parked in the nearby neighborhood and not on school property.

that might eliminate any problems of trespassing on school property. i'm also sure kids would feel more comfortable stopping to answer questions when they're free of not being in trouble for smoking cigarettes on school grounds.

younger activists giving the survey might also get a better response, as i'm sure most high school kids may find adults to be not as trustworthy of giving an honest answer to.

maybe change the sign to read "tell us how you really feel about your school"

John Edward Mercier

Maybe just make it an 'Education Quality Survey'. Less hostile and just as honest.

Coconut

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on August 27, 2008, 07:28 PM NHFT
Jesse thought the "Report abuse" sign was too hostile, possibly repelling people and making them side with the authorities.  He could be right.

If anyone can offer improvements in the survey or tactics, please do.

It'd be hard to make them side with the government. Some will talk about the weirdos on the street tomorrow.

stockholm syndrome

error

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on August 27, 2008, 08:02 PM NHFT
Maybe just make it an 'Education Quality Survey'. Less hostile and just as honest.

Perfect. Something the cops won't worry about, but the bureaucrats inside will.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: error on August 28, 2008, 12:34 AM NHFT

Education Quality Survey doesn't have the impact or send the message that 'Report School Abuses does.  In fact it has no impact and sends no message.
Oh!.....and I'm sure the bureaucrats would quake in their boots knowing an EQS was being conducted outside.

Kat Kanning

Keene school are going back to the defunt 'fuzzy math' - jane sent me tip from the Sentinel.  Of course the Sentinel wrote about it in glowing tones.

Wonder if Kira's pal saw your protest?

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 28, 2008, 05:28 AM NHFT
Quote from: error on August 28, 2008, 12:34 AM NHFT

Education Quality Survey doesn't have the impact or send the message that 'Report School Abuses does.  In fact it has no impact and sends no message.
Oh!.....and I'm sure the bureaucrats would quake in their boots knowing an EQS was being conducted outside.
Do you want them to take the survey, or not?

Lloyd Danforth

No.  I want them to come over and ask what is meant by 'school abuses', have it explained that their being forced to 'be' there is, itself,  a form of  abuse and,walk away with some interesting literature. ;)

John Edward Mercier

If they're old enough to walk... I'm quite sure they know someone is forcing them to be there. Because the beach is the other way. ;D

toowm

I think the "Report School Abuses" conjures up the teacher/student sex scandals that the media loves to report on.

I love the survey.

This is the time of year when we talk the most with public school kids and parents, because they are starting school and we're a couple months in. Mostly the kids are envious and the parents are wistful about homeschooling.

Russell Kanning

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on August 28, 2008, 07:57 AM NHFT
If they're old enough to walk... I'm quite sure they know someone is forcing them to be there. Because the beach is the other way. ;D

When I was that age, all I thought was my parents were forcing me to be there. Not the town government or the state government. It's a potential mind opener I think. I sure wish someone was doing that at the government high school I went to.