• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Visit a park in Manchester after 11PM or before 7AM

Started by J’raxis 270145, August 27, 2008, 10:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

This sounds like it's shaping up to be one of those many many laws on the books that most people will not know about but that cops can whip out to use against anyone they just don't particularly like for whatever reason.

Russell Kanning

unless ... the forces of good push the issue to a breaking point :)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on September 05, 2008, 07:43 AM NHFT
This sounds like it's shaping up to be one of those many many laws on the books that most people will not know about but that cops can whip out to use against anyone they just don't particularly like for whatever reason.

I think it already is.

Porcupine_in_MA

I really wish I could have taken part in this. Couldn't take the day off though.

FTL_Ian

Schedule another one, this time at Midnight.

Bring alcohol to make it more fun!

DigitalWarrior

Honestly, I do not think escalation is ideal at this point.

I hesitate to give advice since I am not participating, since I generally would not use civil disobedience against local ordinances in places I do not live, but I think repeating the protest weekly would be interesting.  I think by not escalating, you keep attention focused on the law, rather than the escalator.

KBCraig

Quote from: DigitalWarrior on September 05, 2008, 10:19 AM NHFT
Honestly, I do not think escalation is ideal at this point.

I hesitate to give advice since I am not participating, since I generally would not use civil disobedience against local ordinances in places I do not live, but I think repeating the protest weekly would be interesting.  I think by not escalating, you keep attention focused on the law, rather than the escalator.

The problem is that "reasonable" people will say, "You're right, that's too restrictive. Let's make it 11-sunrise instead, to accommodate early morning joggers." That's "reasonable", if you believe the park should have a curfew; it shouldn't, thus the protests.

This demonstration busted Mara's much-touted "zero tolerance initiative". Despite being notified, despite an article in the paper the day before, Mara and MPD "tolerated" this blatant violation of the curfew. That means they're selectively enforcing it, and selective enforcement is dangerous and wrong.

DigitalWarrior

I think you are arguing against Thoreau now. 
QuoteThe mass of men serve the state thus, not as men mainly, but as machines, with their bodies. They are the standing army, and the militia, jailers, constables, posse comitatus,(7) etc. In most cases there is no free exercise whatever of the judgment or of the moral sense; but they put themselves on a level with wood and earth and stones; and wooden men can perhaps be manufactured that will serve the purpose as well. Such command no more respect than men of straw or a lump of dirt. They have the same sort of worth only as horses and dogs. Yet such as these even are commonly esteemed good citizens
It looks to me like he is mocking (among other things) non-selective enforcement of law.

I am personally of the opinion that nothing so well serves to have laws revoked as the non-selective enforcement of them.  Speed limits are, I believe, necessary.  However I think that if police were routinely pulling over people doing 36 in a 35 zone, there would be huge political problems.

I am not sure whether I lean more towards selective or non-selective enforcement of the law..

DigitalWarrior

QuoteThe problem is that "reasonable" people will say, "You're right, that's too restrictive. Let's make it 11-sunrise instead, to accommodate early morning joggers." That's "reasonable", if you believe the park should have a curfew; it shouldn't, thus the protests.

I believe it is important to realize that what I would like and what others would like, even after being fully informed, may be different.  If the local municipality has the ability to own property, and set the rules for it, then they can set rules for the park. 

I think it is evident that the significant minority of people is upset by this rule.  I would ask, would it be better to get arrested for violating the curfew and achieve no change, but cause harm to your own reputation?  Or would it be better to possibly get arrested and show by it that the laws are unreasonable? 

I know that if I were in Manchester I would have two goals.  FIrst, get signs put up so that everyone knows the rules.  Second, get the rules changed so that they are more reasonable.  Once the rules are changed show it had no effect on anything, and see if you can have the rules repealed.  But that is why I am generally an incrementalist...

Giggan

It would have been ideal if you got the officer on camera watching you break the 'law' and driving on, which proves selective enforcement, and the press may eat up. Next time someone gets a ticket in the park, everyone who did not get one could come to their defense and point out that they were intentionally ignored. I don't see those who agree with authorities that the statute is just believeing that it should be selectively enforced.

Russell Kanning

lots of crazy comments on the UL article

How on earth is Dave endangering anyone through his actions?

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 05, 2008, 01:21 PM NHFT

He's disobeying the authority of the city government. It's a slippery slope. Once you go down that path, soon everyone will be killing and raping each other in the streets.

Giggan

Quote from: Luke the Truthteller on September 04, 2008, 10:05 PM NHFT
I think the Free Lunch Project page is hilarious. It really exposes communitarians for what they truly are: a bunch of stinky, slimy raccoons. It would be better for everyone if they all moved to Sweden (a country which, btw, you should have put as an option for the Free Lunch Project but for whatever reason didn't).

I'll take a raccoon over a totalitarian any day. Raccoons are actually kinda friendly.

Without obedience to the law, we'd have anarchy!

FTL_Ian

Is there a follow up article yet?

Pat McCotter

It just happened this morning, Ian! The paper doesn't publish 24 hours per day. Tomorrow morning will probably have one. :-\