• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Illegal hot dog stand

Started by David, September 02, 2008, 12:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Barskey

Luke, let me know when you buy this tent and set up the store in your yard. I'll definitely volunteer to help you run it (stock items, sell them, clean up, whatever).

David

Quote from: Luke the Truthteller on September 14, 2008, 07:17 AM NHFT
Quote from: David on September 03, 2008, 09:32 PM NHFT
Since I expect at least a 50% chance of being arrested,

If you ask me, I think your chances of getting fined or arrested over this are close to 0%, the main reason being that you are having a small hot dog stand for only one day. People have one-day fundraisers in this country all the time where they sell various stuff including hot dogs to raise money for whatever they want to raise money for, or sometimes just to make a profit, and most of them probably never bother getting a business license, and I can bet you the police never bother to check either. In any event I've never heard of anybody in my entire life getting fined or arrested over something like this, even though many people have done it.

If you guys wanted to do civil disobedience where there was any meaningful chance of the police to fining or arresting you over something like this, you would have to be operating a business over an extended period of time and not have a license, not just for one day and then it's gone.
My goal isn't to provoke an arrest or to make a statement.  It is civ dis only because it is illegal.  The best possible outcome for this and any other activities is for the police and other enforcers to simply ignore me. 

Luke S

Quote from: David on September 14, 2008, 08:11 PM NHFT
My goal isn't to provoke an arrest or to make a statement.

But isn't the goal of all civ dis to make some sort of statement?

David

That is a common goal, but I am more focused on something a bit more tangible.  If I can get the enforcement, weather police, code enforcement, etc., to ignore their own law, then it really doesn't matter what the law is.  That is the major push of my 'outside the system' activism.   8)  The politicians do not enforce their own laws. 
I don't really want to get arrested, so if I am going to, I want to make it worth it.  The real truth is, I just want to live peacefully with others, force should only be used when someone actually hurts or threatens clear harm to somebody.  The only reason this event is even civ dis, is because it is funtionally illegal.  That is also the reason I am doing it on 'gov't property' rather than my own, to reduce the potential risk to myself. 

Russell Kanning

I think this is more like a cool business than civ dis. :)

Coconut

I'm leaving work now to get over to this

Coconut

Quote from: Coconut on September 15, 2008, 09:29 AM NHFT
I'm leaving work now to get over to this

David's here. Where's everyone else?

dalebert

Quote from: Coconut on September 15, 2008, 10:16 AM NHFT
David's here. Where's everyone else?

Jesse and I are leaving now. Chill! It's only 11:30. :)

Kat Kanning

So this started at 11?  How's it going?

Josh

Does anyone have jack boots on their neck yet?  >:D

Coconut

I just left. Going back to work. Uneventful. Jesse has my camera in case anything happens in the next hour.

dalebert

I don't think most people knew he was selling anything. He needs a more prominent sign instead of a piece of paper you only see if you come up and look into the cooler.

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

I guess he needs a big stand or something.

Kat Kanning

Maybe he could borrow the President's lemonade stand :)