• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Recommendations on gun stores on seacoast?

Started by PowerPenguin, September 03, 2008, 10:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Hey all, I recently moved to Hampton, and I'm looking for a good local gun store because I need to buy a cleaning kit. I found a list online, but it's apparently very old because the #s I called were all out of service. Alternatively, if someone has a new or almost new kit they want to get rid of, I'm in the market.

Thanks,
Andrew

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: PowerPenguin on September 03, 2008, 10:34 AM NHFT
Hey all, I recently moved to Hampton, and I'm looking for a good local gun store because I need to buy a cleaning kit. I found a list online, but it's apparently very old because the #s I called were all out of service. Alternatively, if someone has a new or almost new kit they want to get rid of, I'm in the market.

Thanks,
Andrew

Riley's in Hooksett is probably the most popular.
Chester Arms in Chester is run by a freestater-friendly native.

41mag

There is also the Kittery Trading Post.  Large selection, and for handguns they do the transfer in Portsmouth (just north of the circle).

PowerPenguin

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I went to Wallmart and got a cheap but functional kit there, but I'll keep these places in mind for future reference. Does anyone have any opinions about Taurus' .38 and .45 handgun line? I've heard some good things about them, and I'd like to replace my huge S&W revolver eventually (It's historic, but too heavy and long to be concealed).

AntonLee

I've been told that NH Gun and Tackle in Plaistow is a very good gun shop.

Jared

i 2nd kittery trading post. only prob is that you have to pay those damn main sales taxes. riley's in hooksett also kicks ass.

41mag

Quote from: Jared on September 18, 2008, 09:47 PM NHFT
i 2nd kittery trading post. only prob is that you have to pay those damn main sales taxes. riley's in hooksett also kicks ass.
No Maine sales tax if it is transferred in NH.   :)

They did mention once that they would do a NH transfer on long guns in Portsmouth for some of their more expensive guns because of the tax.  You would probably have to ask them to do this though.

PowerPenguin

What is meant by "transfer" exactly? (I'm a n00b from CA forgive me)

KBCraig

Quote from: PowerPenguin on September 19, 2008, 06:31 PM NHFT

That means the actual, technical, transaction takes place at a NH dealer. This is required for all handguns, because you can't legally purchase a handgun from anyone (either private or dealer) located outside your state of residence.

It's also a way to avoid sales tax when buying a long gun from a Maine dealer. The dealer transfers the gun from his inventory, to that of the NH dealer. The NH dealer then transfers it to the buyer. The point of purchase is NH, so no ME sales tax is due.

The receiving dealer will charge a nominal fee for receiving the gun, logging it into his inventory, conducting the NICS check, and logging the gun out to the purchaser. Fees of $20-25 for this service are common in most parts of the country. If the transfer fee is cheaper than the ME sales tax, it's a win for the buyer.

41mag

Quote from: KBCraig on September 19, 2008, 11:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: PowerPenguin on September 19, 2008, 06:31 PM NHFT
It's also a way to avoid sales tax when buying a long gun from a Maine dealer. The dealer transfers the gun from his inventory, to that of the NH dealer. The NH dealer then transfers it to the buyer. The point of purchase is NH, so no ME sales tax is due.

The receiving dealer will charge a nominal fee for receiving the gun, logging it into his inventory, conducting the NICS check, and logging the gun out to the purchaser. Fees of $20-25 for this service are common in most parts of the country. If the transfer fee is cheaper than the ME sales tax, it's a win for the buyer.

In the case of Kittery Trading Post, they also have a small office in Portsmouth, NH and can do a transfer in NH.

PowerPenguin

I think I'll check out that place in Hookset. It should be cheaper and less annoying than dealing w/ ME vendors. Off hand, which of these places would be most likely to stock .32 LR rounds? They're a pain in the ass to find, as I've mentioned...

Jared

Quote from: PowerPenguin on September 20, 2008, 09:42 PM NHFT
Off hand, which of these places would be most likely to stock .32 LR rounds? They're a pain in the ass to find, as I've mentioned...

probably ktp.

KBCraig

Quote from: PowerPenguin on September 20, 2008, 09:42 PM NHFT
Off hand, which of these places would be most likely to stock .32 LR rounds?

What is ".32 LR"? Do you mean .32 S&W Long? If so, you might have to resort to mail order.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?t=82579&pageNum=0&tabId=3&categoryId=7505&categoryString=653***691***

Lloyd Danforth

PowerPenguin

Yes, 32 long rifle, center fire. I found some at a gun show last time, but I'm running low now. On a similar note, where's the best place to get the NRA basic pistol training classes? I've been recommended a good place to do the home defense class in Barrington, but you have to have the basic training first, which I don't yet have.