• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Insufferable Weird Dream Thread

Started by dalebert, September 04, 2008, 09:12 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on February 20, 2011, 12:56 PM NHFT
If you were trying to get on the safe side and if turned out you didn't have to be on the safe side, maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you that you are being excessively cautious.  Who was this sleeping bag friend?  Someone you recognize?

I don't recall those details.  They didn't seem significant to the dream, I don't think.

dalebert

I dreamt another free-stater gave me a decent-sized bag of pot that I didn't even want cause I don't smoke anymore.  I was like "Uh, whatever.  Okay."  I seem to recall there was some reason like he just wanted me to hold onto it for him for a little while.  I was in bed at the time and he was standing next to my bed so I just put it under the covers.

I wake (not really tho) and it's the next morning, the same guy is there.  He pulls out the pot and then produces some handcuffs with a long chain between them.  It was all a setup just to arrest me.

I'm all "wtf.  Srsly?"  He looks really remorseful like he feels bad for having fooled me all this time only to betray me but obviously still going through with it so not THAT remorseful.  It was someone I trusted completely but who had me completely fooled.

He handcuffs me and more cops arrive and I get arrested and I feel like everything is falling apart.  Wondering if they're taking my house and shit like that.  It seemed to last a LONG time.  When I finally woke up, and it dawned on me it was all a dream, it was SUCH a relief.  Holy crap, was it stressful and depressing and felt so real.

It was the betrayal that really stung.  The guys name was Tom.  I could recall his full name in the dream but not now.  He was quite familiar as a close friend but obviously not someone I actually know.  I seem to recall his appearance being very similar or even exactly like Jared Padalecki.  It's fascinating to me that my subconscious mind could manufacture this long-term meaningful friendship in order to convey such a painful sense of betrayal.

Jim Johnson

When Becky describes Tom he looks just like that.

Tom Sawyer

I knew I wouldn't be able to come out of this unscathed... 

First off I deny hanging out all night in Dale's bedroom... even if he is sooo cute as he sleeps.     ;D

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on August 24, 2011, 12:11 PM NHFT
I dreamt another free-stater gave me a decent-sized bag of pot that I didn't even want cause I don't smoke anymore.  I was like "Uh, whatever.  Okay."  I seem to recall there was some reason like he just wanted me to hold onto it for him for a little while.  I was in bed at the time and he was standing next to my bed so I just put it under the covers.

I wake (not really tho) and it's the next morning, the same guy is there.  He pulls out the pot and then produces some handcuffs with a long chain between them.  It was all a setup just to arrest me.

I'm all "wtf.  Srsly?"  He looks really remorseful like he feels bad for having fooled me all this time only to betray me but obviously still going through with it so not THAT remorseful.  It was someone I trusted completely but who had me completely fooled.

He handcuffs me and more cops arrive and I get arrested and I feel like everything is falling apart.  Wondering if they're taking my house and shit like that.  It seemed to last a LONG time.  When I finally woke up, and it dawned on me it was all a dream, it was SUCH a relief.  Holy crap, was it stressful and depressing and felt so real.

It was the betrayal that really stung.  The guys name was Tom.  I could recall his full name in the dream but not now.  He was quite familiar as a close friend but obviously not someone I actually know.  I seem to recall his appearance being very similar or even exactly like Jared Padalecki.  It's fascinating to me that my subconscious mind could manufacture this long-term meaningful friendship in order to convey such a painful sense of betrayal.

You accepted a "thing" that the giver felt was valuable, but in which you now see little value.  This "thing" was intimate, we know this because holding pot for someone is to be kept secret; also the "thing" was accepted by you in bed. 
You felt this "thing" could get you in trouble.  When the person reappeared you where faced with all of the possible ramifications of discovery of the "thing". 

The "thing" could be a closely held belief that you are reexamining. A change for which you feel your friends may want to punish you.
Or it may be it's that you don't want to hold pot for people any more, just cause you could get in trouble.

dalebert

Thx, guys.  It all felt to be about the relationship with this ambiguous person.  In fact, just yesterday I had a reminder about a friendship in which I feel very betrayed.  The whole pot angle seems like just an analogy for betrayal by a long-time friend.  The pot felt very much like just a tool in the dream, a tool for the betrayal, inconsequential really.  I know who the friend in the dream represents even though the person was very different in the dream.

Or rather, I think there was a sense that people can turn out to be very different from what you have judged them to be and it was this particular person who taught me that painful lesson.  I feel lately like I can't trust people like I thought I could and it's already causing me to change the way I deal with people.  This dream was about the end of trust as I've known it.  It's like this person has managed to transform me into a less outgoing person.

Silent_Bob

Quote from: dalebert on August 24, 2011, 09:15 PM NHFT
Thx, guys.  It all felt to be about the relationship with this ambiguous person.  In fact, just yesterday I had a reminder about a friendship in which I feel very betrayed.  The whole pot angle seems like just an analogy for betrayal by a long-time friend.  The pot felt very much like just a tool in the dream, a tool for the betrayal, inconsequential really.  I know who the friend in the dream represents even though the person was very different in the dream.

Or rather, I think there was a sense that people can turn out to be very different from what you have judged them to be and it was this particular person who taught me that painful lesson.  I feel lately like I can't trust people like I thought I could and it's already causing me to change the way I deal with people.  This dream was about the end of trust as I've known it.  It's like this person has managed to transform me into a less outgoing person.

Still sounds like oxygen deprivation. :)

dalebert

Last night dreamt about giant dragons rampaging through a city Godzilla-style.  They were literally the size of sky-scrapers.  I knew I was dreaming at first so I just went along with the dream so it was kind of like being inside a movie and being able to interact with it without any real fear.  Still, I just kind of wanted to watch things and didn't want to have to run from a giant dragon.  It was apparent to me that individual humans were so small to these things that we weren't likely to attract its attention, particularly from far away so I kinda stopped worried about being spotted.  They seemed more interested in "playing with" the bldgs, kind of like legos, taking them apart and sometimes putting them back together in weird ways, but of course this just amounted to rampant destruction and probably thousands of deaths if people hadn't evacuated in time and gotten out of the way of falling debree.

So I soon found a site being constructed in either the area just outside the city or a park away from tall bldgs.  People were watching a nearby dragon ripping a skyscraper apart and a couple giant chunks of bldg fell in our camp which we narrowly avoided being crushed by.  Some lady screamed at the dragon and someone hushed her up.  We could talk in normal voices but there was concern that enough noise could still attract their attention.  Finally the dragon left and people decided the bldg it was playing with might be a good shelter now that the dragons were done with it and seemingly had lost interest.

We started clearing debree inside.  I realized my hand was injured.  The middle finger of my right hand was cramping up and it was difficult to straighten and it was very painful.  But I was able to move stuph with my mind since it was a dream so I started doing that.  People were asking how I was able to do that and I just said I don't know, which was sort of true.  I thought about trying to fly and explore the city, which was spectacular scenery, but I was afraid if I pushed things too much, I'd become detached from the flow of the dream, too lucid, and wake myself up.

Maintaining a lucid dream and staying lucid is a kind of balancing act.  Being lucid in a dream is a lot like wakefulness so if you concentrate too hard on staying clear-headed and aware while experiencing the dream, you may actually wake yourself up.

So we discovered some businesses were actually staying open through the catastrophe, which was hard to believe.  There was ice cream place giving away all their ice cream, first come first serve, because it was just going to melt otherwise.  I guess they lost power.  Then I heard about a theater that was having drastically discounted movie tickets and we were contemplating seeing a movie and wondering how risky that would be, like what are the odds that particular theater would get collapsed by a dragon.  I think I woke up shortly after that.

Jim Johnson

Big storm anxiety combined with the ice cream scene from Jurassic Park, because you ended up at the movie theater.

dalebert

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on August 24, 2011, 07:11 PM NHFT
... even if he is sooo cute as he sleeps.     ;D

He obviously hasn't heard my snoring.

dalebert

Tarin Lupo and Andrew Carroll were in my lucid dream last night.  I recall pondering briefly whether they were ACTUALLY there, as in dreaming at the same time, sort of a telepathic thing, but I pretty much dismissed it as I don't really believe in that kind of stuph.  At least, I haven't seen any convincing evidence for it yet.  Shame though.  Would be really neat!

Anyhoo...  so most of the dream is kind of obscure.  We were in some building and someone/thing was banging on a door that we had shut and locked.  I told them not to worry, that whatever it was, it wasn't anything dangerous.  Somehow I knew that because this was my dream and my mood wasn't one of being afraid or panicky, that the dream would reflect that.  I was also kind of being preventative and hoped that hearing myself say it would help make it so.

So then we walked down the hall and away from whatever it was.  I hadn't stopped thinking about it though.  I sort of realized that, at least at the moment, there was nothing behind the door.  Whatever it was obscure in my own mind and so it didn't yet even exist and wouldn't exist until it came out.  Yes, I think too much.  So down the hall a ways was a sort of auditorium.  The three of us and a bunch of other people gathered in there and kind of readied ourselves for whatever might come in.  The mood really was one of curiosity than fear, almost like we were waiting for a play to start.  I think I woke briefly at that point or the dream changed.  Pretty sure nothing came into existence after all.

dalebert

Took a benadryl last night because allergies were awful and I had a sinus headache.  Woke up still exhausted this morning but had to pee and went right back to bed.  That seems like a prime environment for lucid dreams and sure enough, I had one.

I remember taking a moment to ponder whether I was dreaming and thinking "no".  Everything felt familiar and real even though it wasn't.  But then I was trying to go somewhere and kept finding the way blocked, like I thought I knew the path from point A to point B but the path keeps getting increasingly elaborate.  That's a common clue that I'm dreaming and I quickly realized it.  I relaxed into it and quite worrying about wherever I was going because it didn't seem to matter.

I believe I was in a courtyard cafe or something like it.  To test it, I pointed at a cup of tea and caused it to slide off the table and smash to bits.  At that point, I was incredibly lucid and clear-headed.  I made a conscious decision to not be overly-manipulative of my environment, as fun as that can be, but instead to acknowledge that my own mind (some unconscious part) had created this experience for a reason and instead to just be more of a listener and less coercive.  Once I realize I'm dreaming, I can move objects with my mind or fly and explore the dream landscape and so on.

A door opened and two chubby middle-aged men came running at me with awkward and unbalanced curved blades.  I knew they couldn't really harm me so I wasn't very afraid, but just a little tense.  I know I can feel pain in my dreams and it's still a little freaky to have something angrily chasing after you, kind of like being inside a scary movie.  I was still incredibly lucid though so I thought for a moment about what I could do.  I probably could have thrown them back with my mind or shot lightning at them, etc.  It occurred to me that these guys were a part of my own mind.  I had put them there.  Attacking them would be representative of attacking myself.  I just tried to let go of my fear, which had no solid basis, and I just held up my hand.  They slowed down until the one in front was just inches away from my hand, his weapon raised above to strike.  I just calmly said "No" and he looked confused for a moment.  He may have even said "No?" as in, "I'm not supposed to attack you?"  But he still had his weapon raised.  I reached up with my other hand and put one finger on it and pushed it down to his side.  It hurt a little bit but not much.  Then they calmed down and no longer seemed interested in attacking me.  Now they just watched me as I walked around the cafe just looking around, fascinated at what my mind had created.

One of them said "I have a sweet tooth."  I pointed at a portion of a cake on a table or a cart, looked kind of a strawberry cake, and said "There's some cake there."  But then I told him to wait a moment.  I wanted to try something.  I walked to a nearby table where there was some space and I held my hands out in front of me and imagined a chocolate cake was behind my hands.  As I moved my hands apart, I could see it appearing, first kind of ghostly and rapidly solidifying-- a rich and beautifully decorated chocolate cake.

I was feeling really proud of myself.  I think it's the first time I've actually created something in a dream.

It would be silly of me not to point out that last night Mandrik made a DELICIOUS low-carb and gluten-free chocolate cake and we put carb-smart ice cream on it (also delicious and impossible to tell from regular vanilla ice cream).  I just felt thoroughly satiated.  It was SO good.  There is some seemingly obvious symbolism here of releasing an internal conflict without a struggle and taking care of my own needs.  It felt incredibly empowering.

dalebert

One more thing-- by deciding not to be as manipulative, and instead to just kind of go along with the dream but try to remain lucid, it felt less like I might wake myself up.  It seems like the times I am really exerting my will to control the dream, the more likely I am to wake myself up and spoil the fun of having a lucid dream.  It's like being in the holodeck of the Enterprise or something.

dalebert

Had a lot of intense dreams last night ending with a very lucid experience. I was in some vehicle that I thought was a bus driving up an extremely steep slope and some rough terrain around a mountain to reach some special school at the top. At one point we lurched so much that everyone held onto handles on the walls to not fall out of our seats. I wondered how we kept from tipping over. Then I realized we were flying in some salvaged military aircraft called a Lynx. It was very specialized. Everything in the school (people, furniture, everything) was protected by some kind of technologically-generated aura. Everyone and everything had a shimmering halo around it. It was really trippy and I remember thinking it would be terribly distracting but maybe I'd get used to it. Then I realized I could levitate around and it was really cool and I think that's when I realized it was a dream. I thought about how it would be cool to stay there as long as I could and not wake up too soon but I did shortly after.

Earlier, I dreamt of a Native American shaman. Someone asked him what he hoped to accomplish with prayer, like it seemed really silly and pointless to them. His answer was "It gives flight to spirits with the power to move a river in my heart." With that, he waved his hand and these little creatures floated away in front of him. I don't remember exactly what they looked like but they were about 6 inches tall and it seemed like the wind just picked them up like they were the seeds from dandelions. It felt significant that he made no claim about expecting it to alter reality around him as many people seem to view prayer--practically like they're casting spells. The affect was purely inside him, but it was significant.

Pat K

I fell asleep, the alarm clock went off and I got up.