• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

any ideas for civil dis against Manch alderman?

Started by Dave Ridley, September 07, 2008, 10:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

the only thing i could think of off the top of my head was plastering city hall with posters that say "enemy of the people" and have their mug shots.  but I'm not sold on the idea and maybe ther is something better.

Mike Barskey

How about something more specific on the flyers, like "Your aldermen don't think you're smart enough to vote!" and maybe include in smaller print an easy-to-remember URL to Dave's videos.

dalebert

It seems to me that some people worked through the system to try to get a vote on a spending cap and some other people worked through the system to prevent it. How is one side the enemy of the people vs. the other side? What distinguishes them as good or bad? Weren't the aldermen given the power to do this through a democratic process? Are you claiming that that power is invalid? Why?

Not defending either side. Just asking questions that this conflict seems to raise. Might want to consider those questions before staging an act of civil disobedience so you know exactly what it is you're protesting.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: dalebert on September 07, 2008, 11:52 AM NHFT
It seems to me that some people worked through the system to try to get a vote on a spending cap and some other people worked through the system to prevent it. How is one side the enemy of the people vs. the other side? What distinguishes them as good or bad? Weren't the aldermen given the power to do this through a democratic process? Are you claiming that that power is invalid? Why?

Not defending either side. Just asking questions that this conflict seems to raise. Might want to consider those questions before staging an act of civil disobedience so you know exactly what it is you're protesting.

Good questions.  Just the same old situation of two interest groups fighting over control of the system.  One group is imposing its way while the opposition would like to impose theirs.  I must say I found the videos of the protest sad, especially the begging "let us vote" chant.

Instead of begging, if people "voted" by witholding their dollars, the problem would be solved immediately.

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

In this video, towards the end, the guy leading the push for the spending cap is asked by Dave how he feels about it being time for civil disobedience:

He says, "the best way is to go through the governmental process...try to change govt by working hard and working on campaigns."  Then he calls politicians leaders.

Sorry dude, working harder doesn't make this work any better:

Working smarter would mean stepping out of the wheel, or the govt system, then going wherever you want.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: exCA Mike on September 07, 2008, 10:43 AM NHFT
How about something more specific on the flyers, like "Your aldermen don't think you're smart enough to vote!" and maybe include in smaller print an easy-to-remember URL to Dave's videos.

I can create whatever URL you want on RidleyReport.com. Options include stuff like RidleyReport.com/BadAldermen or maybe RidleyReport.com/taxcap.

SamIam

I like the reverse psychology flier Ian put together. http://freekeene.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/websitewarning.pdf

Perhaps something like that would let you point out all the absurd things the city council is doing in a humorous way that captivates and compels the reader to learn more.

Of course, putting them on the doors for 2-3 streets around each council members' home might also encourage a few of them to understand the vote's importance.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: dalebert on September 07, 2008, 11:52 AM NHFT

Its really an arguement by the two sides of when the vote on the tax cap will take place.

rmodel65

buy a beatup pickup truck and paint it in protest park it in front of their home :P

Pat K

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat K on September 08, 2008, 12:10 AM NHFT
Tar and Feathers?  ;D

That would be a terrible waste of fowl. Not to mention our "precious petroleum resources".

Friday

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 07, 2008, 01:39 PM NHFT
Sorry dude, working harder doesn't make this work any better:

Working smarter would mean stepping out of the wheel, or the govt system, then going wherever you want.
:clap:

Giggan

Expanding upon Kat's idea, let's say they hold a special election a year from the November election. In the time between when the cap was supposed to be placed and when it was placed because of the illegit delay of the alderman, the budget of the town goes up x%. A group of CD'ers should subtract the x% raise from their property tax, legitimately claiming that the cap was wrong put on too late, thus they shouldn't owe the x% increase. This may gain a lot of positive press coverage, it would be a massive revolt, yet over a small enough amount each that it can't be blamed for 'harming the children'. More people doing it means more public support, and surely there would be press coverage of the massive disobedience over x%. The percentage would be miniscule enough and the disobedience broad enough that the state would look as sinister and violent as it actually is if it tried to take homes from people over the x%.

Of course, this disobedience would be for well in the future, if and when the cap passes, and is dependent upon the council raising spending as a result of the delay.

I've considered this in the past that if NH was ever to pass an income tax, it surely wouldn't be with an overwhelming enough majority that those who disagree could imprison all of those who don't pay, so if they ever did institute one here, we'd need to immediately assure to the gov't that we morally oppose a state income tax and would never pay it.

John Edward Mercier

The problem is the statute surrounding the petition allows for up to 365 days... and gives the council the power to determine when. Towns don't get budget caps because each year the residents (not a council) vote on the budget.

Perfect time of course is right after the property tax bills hit the mail boxes...
People trying to pay their heating bills and enjoy the holidays are a likely to be a litte more pissed off when the tax bill comes... and maybe more likely to act.

I think Franklin has the oldest tax cap in the State, it seems to be doing fine.