• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Saving $ with Shaws cards

Started by PowerPenguin, September 11, 2008, 05:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonLee

Quote from: dalebert on September 12, 2008, 08:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on September 11, 2008, 07:03 PM NHFT
Not sweet because even if they can't track me by ATM/Debit/Credit card. . . they're still getting me on video at Shaw's, through the tollbooth on the way home, and at the red light near my house.

BIG difference though. The former can be tracked in an automated fashion, as in, retrieve all the transactions of John Doe per this court order, and with that they can track and develop patterns of the movement of an innocent citizen over a period of time. They can't exactly do that with the latter. The latter tends to be the other way around and more directly appropriate as in, there was a robbery at Shaw's and we caught it on film. Who did it? Even then, without a lot to go on, they only have a face; not a number attached to detailed records.

Don't watch Minority Report though. It'll quickly make you pessimistic about how intrusive the government is likely to get as technology improves.  :P

but those air computers are completely rad

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AntonLee on September 12, 2008, 02:26 PM NHFT

Sadly, I own no gun.  I was thinking about both ideas actually, the latter being preferable because of it's location and the fact that guns are illegal in MA. . . they represent a "safety concern for the public"  don't cha know   ::lloyds::

Guns are not illegal in MA - it's just difficult to kiss enough ass to get one.

AntonLee

I have had bouts of depression. . . therefore my Police chief doesn't believe I am safe enough to own a gun "legally"

thankfully that whole "shall not be infringed" part is ignored in Massachusetts.

PowerPenguin

Quote from: doobie on September 12, 2008, 08:36 AM NHFT
Do the math....  Hanaford/Stop and Shop and still usually much cheaper... at least for the things I buy.  I went to Shaws because it was convenient to buy some things and I ended up leaving because their prices on some items were almost double Hannaford (it was a variety of cheeses mainly).

What kinds of stuff do you buy? I went to a Hannaford last year when I went to PF and it seemed pretty pricey. On the other hand, I'm used to getting relatively cheap produce in CA. I feel relatively certain that Shaws is cheaper than Market Basket, at least when it comes to your typical food and bathroom/kitchen products. If I'm wrong, please let me know! 8-)

dalebert

Market Basket blows all of them away on prices, and without the hassle of having to carry around any cards or key chains and have your purchases tracked. Unfortunately, they're kind of sparsely located. None are convenient to Keene.  :'( About the only place I've seen compete with them on price is Wal-mart and they have a very limited selection, obviously. I make a point to buy certain staples at Wal-mart.