• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anyone doing any CD for Barak Hussein Obama's NH visit?

Started by doobie, September 12, 2008, 09:00 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

doobie

Does the SS law override NH law for open carrying in their vicinity?

mvpel

Yes - obstructing, resisting, or interfering with Secret Service in their protective functions is a Federal misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in prison.  18 US 3056(d).  Forcible resistance, interference, etc. is a felony - 18 USC 111.

However, the Secret Service are generally much smarter than the average cop, and tend to be much better informed than even the local police about the open carry and other constitutional rights of the state in which their protectee is appearing, and set up their procedures and perimeters accordingly, and as long as you're open carrying outside of the Secret Service's perimeter, they don't care.

However, a fellow by the name of Jack Nobles in Pennsylvania was outside the perimeter, across the street, from a park where Obama was to appear later, "clinging," as Obama put it, to a Bible and wearing a holstered sidearm in compliance with Pennsylvania law, handing out gun rights fliers to passerby.  The Secret Service observed him and spoke with him, and later stated to reporters that he did not enter their perimeter...

QuoteJim Gehr, agent in charge of the U.S. Secret Service field office in Pittsburgh, said the federal agency did not file any charges against Mr. Noble.

"Our people did talk to him. He never entered the event area," Agent Gehr said.

... but that wasn't good enough for arrogant deputies Joseph O'Sche and Rich Yonlisky, apparently suffering from Secret Service Envy, who arrested him and trumped up a "disorderly conduct" charge.

His sidearm, stolen by the deputies, still has not been returned to him.

See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/15561.html - and several other threads at the site in the "Hot Topics" area.

As long as you're not planning to interfere or refuse to cooperate in any way, shape, or form with Secret Service, I'd say go for it.

Michael Graham of WTKK 96.9 is planning to deliver 500 lipsticks to Obama this evening, staging at the NHTI bookstore at 20 College Drive in Concord at 5:30pm.

doobie

I just wanted to make sure my plans to head to Concord tonight and open carry while I do my shopping won't get me arrested. 

Porcupine_in_MA

It would be funny as hell to hold up signs saying "New Hampshirites against Hope and Change!"

Kat Kanning

Quote from: doobie on September 12, 2008, 12:58 PM NHFT
I just wanted to make sure my plans to head to Concord tonight and open carry while I do my shopping won't get me arrested. 

I think you actually have to break the law for it to be civil disobedience.

Coconut

Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 12, 2008, 02:31 PM NHFT

However, that's not a requirement of being arrested.

doobie

Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 12, 2008, 02:31 PM NHFT

Obama coming near me while I'm open carrying in public and me refusing to leave could be construed breaking the law. 

mvpel

No "construed" about it, under 18 US 3056(d).  You would be breaking the law by refusing to leave at the request of a Secret Service agent.