• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Attn: Porc Landlords- I'm writing a best-practices guide!

Started by PowerPenguin, September 17, 2008, 08:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Several people are already aware of this, but I've begun work today on what will become a how-to guide for would-be pro-liberty landlords in NH. The goals are to make things easier for potential landlords, which would in turn make it easier for them to earn an income by providing new or existing renters with shelter. I have already written a couple of articles on related topics, and I hope to combine or at least add to Adam Mackler's work, and the info you'll find on the FSP site. Upon completion of this project, I'll begin collaborating with people to create a similar guide targeting prospective renters.

For the current/prospective landlords out there, what are your biggest concerns about renting out your property, and what has worked/not worked to resolve said problems? If you've had some good experiences, how did you make that happen, and what do you like about it? The goal here is to get an idea of what works for people and what doesn't so we can make renting more efficient, and a good experience for everyone involved.

I have some categories in mind to break down the article or set of articles (probably better) into. If you have any suggestions about this, let me know:

1. Should you rent your property? (General pros and cons)
2. Common Pitfalls (The big or small problems that first-time landlords frequently make)
3. Major Problems (Rare, but serious issues that may arise, and how to prevent them)
4. The Benefits of Landlordship (More detailed accounts of landlord benefits, and how to maximize them)
5. Porcs or the Public? (Debate on when renting to Porcs is better than Joe Schmoe, or vice versa?)

Granted, this breakdown may seem demented, but it's a first draft. Please provide your input! Gracias

dalebert

I don't have any experiences yet to convey but I plan to be a Porc landlord soon so I'll be watching for your information.

Ron Helwig

One thing to keep in mind is that in a "house sharing" type place, finding compatible roommates is more important than in apartment type places.

I consider Porcs to be somewhat better tenants than the general public because on average they have a much better understanding of property rights. That said, I do think lockable doors is a good idea. I have combination locks on most of my rooms, and only I and the occupant(s) know the codes.

You need to figure out what types of rules are important for you, then create those rules. For example, here at Little Minnesota, I don't like having a lot of rules; but that means the tenants need to have more common sense and respect for each other - which makes finding compatible roomies a little harder.

PowerPenguin

This may sound dumb, but it could be useful: Has anyone considered coming up with some kind of basic questionnaire that you could have prospects fill out? If done right, it could help better match people. When I went to college, they had all the freshman do one as part of the admissions process and it worked out *most* of the time. It seems that academia and the real world aren't completely separate 100% of the time... 8-)