• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Flag Burning 11/03

Started by AnarchoJesse, September 18, 2008, 02:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on October 04, 2008, 10:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jared on October 04, 2008, 10:06 PM NHFT
that's sort of why i feel this may be ineffective...will you be verbally giving a statement before/during the act? i think that may help people understand a little better.

I thought we've covered this >.>

Not only will we have the local press and Ian, but we'll also have pamphlets and flyers that we'll be handing out. If someone gets me a bull horn, I'll say a few words.

yes, that is why in my post i specifically said "verbally"

Jared

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 04, 2008, 10:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: Coconut on October 03, 2008, 08:16 AM NHFT... but burning the flag will not be taken in a positive manner.
it will by me

and me as well, although i'm getting the impression that a couple people on this forum think that i am against the idea of flag burning. of course, as i have posted before, that is not the case. i don't think i'm reaching in saying that most people will probably misunderstand this.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: John on October 04, 2008, 08:15 PM NHFT
Just curious Jesse, how will you handle the violent responce which you really should be prepared for?
I agree John.
also if you are going to watch this ... how are you going to react?
If I make it to this event, I plan on cheering Jesse on, but I won't be able to do anything if someone was to start beating him senseless. I would think you will be fine, but your point will be illustrated if you are attacked physically.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: David on October 04, 2008, 09:16 PM NHFT
My question, other than pissing people off, is, what is to be gained from this?  What positive end will result?  I agree that it is non-violent, and I am disgusted by nationalism/my country right or wrong, but what is to be gained?. 
I don't know about you  ... but I am encouraged by this behavior ... others might be also
I look at this as very similar to me standing in front of the fed building with a sign against torture

Russell Kanning

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on October 04, 2008, 09:00 PM NHFT
Depends. I think I may ask one or two people to discreetly open carry so to mitigate any response of that sort. This in itself was a tough call, given that I don't want to send mixed signals- but I do want to be clear from harm. Otherwise, I might try and set up some barriers between myself and the audience.
I would think that threatening or having the ability to inflict deadly force would be a mistake.
I don't think you can have barriers between you and the crowd ... since this isn't your yard or something ... you will have to open yourself to ridicule, threats, and abuse.

KBCraig

Quote from: Caleb on October 04, 2008, 07:29 PM NHFT
One of the ways that really boils people's blood is to say this:

"Without resorting to an appeal to nationalism, please explain to me the difference between a Nazi soldier and a US Marine."

Does boiling their blood help open a dialogue? Rather than confirming (in their minds) that you're some kind of anti-American communist (nothing personal, Caleb  ;)  ;D ), a redirection towards something that tests their way of thinking.

So, how about this: "Can you explain to me the difference between burning a flag, and stepping on a Qur'an?"

This immediately puts them in the position of facing the fact that their angry, violent response toward flag-burning is exactly like something they despise: a Muslim reacting angrily and violently toward desecration of their holy book.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Caleb on October 04, 2008, 12:56 PM NHFT
What I plan on telling people is that I'll stop burning their flag when they stop caring about it.
that statement is even more powerful ... when you are actually burning flags on a regular basis. :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: David on October 04, 2008, 12:14 AM NHFT
I oppose this.
But to many the flag represents the people, and it will be like burning people many care about.  I wish you wouldn't do this, but if you do, be ready with an explanation why, have lots of cameras, and please, to avoid unnecessary drama with the politicos, please do not wear an fsp shirt.  Good luck. 
I support this.
ask the government ... it represents the US government ... that is what it represents to me.
making politicos uncomfortable is part of what this movement is about ... no?

It is not like Jesse is going to hurt people. This is a very graphic non-violent way to show your disapproval of the government and it's tactics. I might have to burn a gold-fringed one soon ... just like the ones that hung in the courtroom where my lovely wife was "convicted" by a fed judge and sent to jail to punish her and attempt to teach her a lesson.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 04, 2008, 10:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: AnarchoJesse on October 04, 2008, 09:00 PM NHFT
Depends. I think I may ask one or two people to discreetly open carry so to mitigate any response of that sort. This in itself was a tough call, given that I don't want to send mixed signals- but I do want to be clear from harm. Otherwise, I might try and set up some barriers between myself and the audience.
I would think that threatening or having the ability to inflict deadly force would be a mistake.

Which is why it's a tough call for me. On the one hand, I really DON'T want to have ask a friend to pack just in case. But then the tiny bit of me that doesn't want to get his teeth knocked out or worse is saying "it can't hurt to at least show you can be defended".

QuoteI don't think you can have barriers between you and the crowd ... since this isn't your yard or something ... you will have to open yourself to ridicule, threats, and abuse.

When I say barrier, I mean maybe standing behind the small fence that way if anyone tries to rush me, they've to at least climb over it, and it gives everyone else time to react. I don't plan on shielding myself from the cat calls or other such nonsense.

Russell Kanning

I would really appreciate a press release so I can put it in the paper .... this thread is too long and just announcing the event is too short

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 04, 2008, 10:38 PM NHFT
I would really appreciate a press release so I can put it in the paper .... this thread is too long and just announcing the event is too short

I'll get one to you by Tuesday.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Giggan on October 04, 2008, 09:29 PM NHFT
I was thinking the same thing...not that there's nothing to be gained but whether this is the most effective thing to do.
It might not be the most effective thing.
Is it hurting your or your cause? ... then maybe you should just let it happen. :)
If you have something better ... then why not just do it?
It is partially meant to bring about discussion ... it is already doing that .... pretty powerful eh :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Jared on October 04, 2008, 09:40 PM NHFT
i don't see any problem in have a us flag waving at one's house. it doesn't necessarily mean that one supports the government.
that's how I interpret it
also if you abuse a US flag ... the government will do bad things to you ... sure sounds like it is their flag.

Caleb

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 04, 2008, 10:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on October 04, 2008, 12:56 PM NHFT
What I plan on telling people is that I'll stop burning their flag when they stop caring about it.
that statement is even more powerful ... when you are actually burning flags on a regular basis. :)

That's the intent.  :)  Anarcho-Jessie has revived my interest in attacking their symbols. They certainly invest a lot in their symbols. I would be foolish to ignore the symbology of it all.

I agree that there needs to be written material to go along with it, so people understand what you are saying. I am thinking a weekly flag burning (beginning on election day) until such time as the US is not engaging in any provocative activities around the world.

Caleb

I also think that this should be done as a pledgebank thing to see how many people across the country can be on board for burning a flag on election day, at least.

ok, here it is:  www.pledgebank.com/burntheflag