• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Flag Burning 11/03

Started by AnarchoJesse, September 18, 2008, 02:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

To be clear, I wasn't requesting names, just their reasons.  No need to create drama.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 03, 2008, 02:04 PM NHFT
To be clear, I wasn't requesting names, just their reasons.  No need to create drama.

Just that I'd be hurting the cause, and that I'm a petty child who is begging for attention- another one was at least honest enough to say they'd never do business of any sort with me.

K. Darien Freeheart

I've mainly been skimming the threads, so I'm not sure if you responded to Ian's question about a press release?

I understand and agree with you fully about wanting to tell the neocon nationalists to bugger off. That said, a press release has the potential to explain to other people why you're burning the flag. There are a ton of people who see the flag burning as like... the most cliche form of protest ever. Rather than merely being a destructive person with anti-state rhetoric, you might be able to bring the issues to people.

As much as "FSPers" are disparaged in New Hampshire, I'm sure there are liberty lovers in the state who might not know there are people to network with and stand up with. Perhaps a press release will tell some of those levelheaded liberty lovers around you "I'm here, stand and you won't stand alone".

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Kevin Dean on October 03, 2008, 02:35 PM NHFT
I've mainly been skimming the threads, so I'm not sure if you responded to Ian's question about a press release?

I understand and agree with you fully about wanting to tell the neocon nationalists to bugger off. That said, a press release has the potential to explain to other people why you're burning the flag. There are a ton of people who see the flag burning as like... the most cliche form of protest ever. Rather than merely being a destructive person with anti-state rhetoric, you might be able to bring the issues to people.

As much as "FSPers" are disparaged in New Hampshire, I'm sure there are liberty lovers in the state who might not know there are people to network with and stand up with. Perhaps a press release will tell some of those levelheaded liberty lovers around you "I'm here, stand and you won't stand alone".

I thought I had responded, but I must have intended to and not :(

But yes, I will be going to the Free Press, Sentinel, and Equinox about these things. Free Press and Equinox I know I can get- it's the Sentinel that is the wild card. I have begun preparing some things to say, maybe some flyers to hand out, and some nice, soundbite-able quotes for the press.

dalebert

Definitely have fliers. We need to be in the habit of that for all our protests. The protest is great for getting attention, but it's there to send a message and a lot of people get curious what we're protesting about and we have to try and explain a complex message in a very short time and not everyone has the patience or maybe they're just a little too weirded out to talk.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Coconut on October 03, 2008, 08:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: Radical and Stuff on October 03, 2008, 01:10 AM NHFT
How will they know Jesse is a member of the FSP (if he is even one).

The people around here have a way of knowing. Possibly if Ian and other free-state signers are around at the time.

If I go, I will be covering it as a news event, not attending as a supporter. The pledge is one of the most evil things this country has, but burning the flag will not be taken in a positive manner.

Yeah, even I cannot figure out what burning the US flag has to do with the pledge.  I'd never see a serious connection unless someone explained it step by step and then I'd likely just think they had a different opinion than I.  If I was upset about the pledge I'd stop saying it in school (which I did) and encourage others to not say it (which I did).  If someone likes to burn stuff, I guess I get the idea of burning the pledge.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: dalebert on October 03, 2008, 02:45 PM NHFT
Definitely have fliers. We need to be in the habit of that for all our protests. The protest is great for getting attention, but it's there to send a message and a lot of people get curious what we're protesting about and we have to try and explain a complex message in a very short time and not everyone has the patience or maybe they're just a little too weirded out to talk.

Right. I often feel that the anti-war protest we have every weekend is flawed for that reason. Sure, we hold signs and I tell the hecklers to "blow me/go fuck yourself/get an education", but something is lost in only putting small slogans on paperboard. We don't actually get time to address the points of our argument, or theirs for that matter- and that's a huge loss in trying to convince people of your point of view.

Jared

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on October 03, 2008, 11:45 AM NHFT
I'm getting some heat from other Free Staters it seems on this-

To them I say "Fuck you. If the State can take my money, shove it's views down my throat, and threaten me with incarceration for victimless 'crimes', I see no reason to not burn a flag."

well...um...thats not very nice. i only said that people probably won't get it.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteBut yes, I will be going to the Free Press, Sentinel, and Equinox about these things.

Awesome. :)

QuoteDefinitely have fliers. We need to be in the habit of that for all our protests. The protest is great for getting attention, but it's there to send a message and a lot of people get curious what we're protesting about and we have to try and explain a complex message in a very short time and not everyone has the patience or maybe they're just a little too weirded out to talk.

Great point. :)

FTL_Ian

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on October 03, 2008, 02:39 PM NHFT
But yes, I will be going to the Free Press, Sentinel, and Equinox about these things. Free Press and Equinox I know I can get- it's the Sentinel that is the wild card. I have begun preparing some things to say, maybe some flyers to hand out, and some nice, soundbite-able quotes for the press.

If you work up a press release, I'll blast it out to Keene media via Free Keene News.  I have a couple Sentinel writers, WKBK, and more on my email list.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Jared on October 03, 2008, 03:02 PM NHFT
Quote from: AnarchoJesse on October 03, 2008, 11:45 AM NHFT
I'm getting some heat from other Free Staters it seems on this-

To them I say "Fuck you. If the State can take my money, shove it's views down my throat, and threaten me with incarceration for victimless 'crimes', I see no reason to not burn a flag."

well...um...thats not very nice. i only said that people probably won't get it.

Not you :P

Some people have been more... unkind in expressing their views on it. I was addressing them.

David

I oppose this.  I agree entirely with your rational, fuck the gov't.  But to many the flag represents the people, and it will be like burning people many care about.  I wish you wouldn't do this, but if you do, be ready with an explanation why, have lots of cameras, and please, to avoid unnecessary drama with the politicos, please do not wear an fsp shirt.  Good luck. 

FTL_Ian

I will be there with video camera as a member of the media.  It's not my choice of protest, but I support Jesse in his decision.  He's a lot brave and a little crazy.  I respect that.

Vitruvian

I really don't understand why some people here are so adamantly opposed to Jesse's burning the U.S. government flag.  The nub of their opposition seems to be that flag-burning will injure the pride of some tender-hearted nationalist.  Why should Jesse (or anyone else here for that matter) feel motivated to preserve their statist delusions?

dalebert

The hard truth creates an unpleasant cognitive dissonance to the heavily indoctrinated. Whether you peel the bandage off painfully slowly or rip it off quick and get it over with, the pain must be dealt with sooner or later.