• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porcupine Factoids

Started by dalebert, September 22, 2008, 01:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Porcupines can NOT throw their quills.
Porcupine vision is poor, but they have an excellent sense of smell.
Porcupines make shrill screeches, whines, and low grunts.
Porcupines are vegetarians, and they eat a large variety of plants, shrubs and trees.
Baby porcupines are called "porcupettes." (Awe!)
Porcupines are not territorial, and their home range may be as large as 200 acres.

David

2 in the morning, couldn't sleep huh?   ;)

dalebert

Quote from: David on September 22, 2008, 11:29 AM NHFT
2 in the morning, couldn't sleep huh?   ;)

Exactly. That page was something I accessed for some Cha Cha inquiry and thought it had some interesting stuph for FSpers. There was a $12 bonus if you did 120 questions between 6pm and 3am that night and I think I made it, though just barely. I wasn't even going to try until I realized I couldn't sleep so I did most of it between about midnight and 3am.

Sam A. Robrin

Shakespeare made only one mention of the porcupine:

http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/search/search-results.php

But, "by any other name"--in this case, the more common Elizabethan form "porpentine"--there are seven:

http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/search/search-results.php

Seems he even predicted Porc Manors!

Jared

you forgot:
are really freakin cute.

freeborn

They ain't cute when they get under the fence and into my garden. Consequently they are called 'DEAD' porcupines. :blush:

Jared

Quote from: freeborn on September 23, 2008, 06:41 PM NHFT
They ain't cute when they get under the fence and into my garden. Consequently they are called 'DEAD' porcupines. :blush:

awwww my dad used to shoot porcupines all the time when they got into the garden. i'm too much of a softy for that, i guess.

freeborn

PattyLee loves dogs

If your two stupid dogs catch a porcupine it will cost you 659 dollars to have the quills removed from their faces, throats, etc.

The dogs will learn nothing from the experience ("maybe we just didn't bite hard enough").

David

Quote from: freeborn on September 24, 2008, 03:53 PM NHFT
Chicken?
As in they taste like Chicken?   ;)
Umm, Telomerase knows from experiance, you'll notice the exact amount he quoted.   >:D

sandm000

Here's a fact for you:

Factoids are the opposite of facts.

dalebert

Quote from: sandm000 on September 26, 2008, 08:49 AM NHFT
Here's a fact for you:

Oh, I just thought it was like a little fact, or a baby fact or something. Or maybe like a little outgrowth from a fact, like a tumor.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: dalebert on September 26, 2008, 11:42 AM NHFT

Oh, I just thought it was like a little fact, or a baby fact or something. Or maybe like a little outgrowth from a fact, like a tumor.

You're not alone, I thought the same.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on September 26, 2008, 11:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: sandm000 on September 26, 2008, 08:49 AM NHFT
Here's a fact for you:

That Wikipedia article contains a section on how the meaning has been changing in that direction.