• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Hoppe's plan: Secession of Individual towns, not states.

Started by anarkhos, September 25, 2008, 01:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

anarkhos

Hans-Hermann Hoppe wrote an essay called: On the Impossibility of Limited Government and the Prospects for a Second American Revolution  In this essay he recommends that the best course of action for Libertarians to free themselves from State rule in the US is to secede as a city, and not as an entire state.

I wonder sincerely, is there a particular city in New Hampshire or Vermont that would be willing to secede above any other?  I might be willing to move there, if there was a organized movement to pull in hundreds of Libertarians.

-Gavin Engel

Brandon

Interesting. I'd probably be willing to move there as well.

anarkhos

Additionally, wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a nationwide `Free City Project` (a nod towards the NH Free State Project).  Perhaps a single city deemed most libertarian in every state were chosen as the local Free City.  That way, Libertarians would not necessarily need to uproot their families to a new state.  And if the free city was within commuting distance of a large city, then they would find it easier to sustain themselves financially.

The point, I suppose, would be to push for a majority of Libertarian city councilors willing to declare independence from the US Government, and for the townsfolk to be willing to engage in mass civil disobedience when State police and National Guardsmen enter the town.

dalebert

The obvious first thought to come to mind is Grafton. Duh. :)

John Edward Mercier

NH is set up for the State to be sovereign... with the municipalities being incorporated and receiving legal authority from the State. The only thing I can think of is the Republic of Indian Stream, but its been resolved to be part of the State (with the property currently the Connecticut Lakes Headwaters).

I'll have to think about it for a while. I know it is possible for a municipality to secede from a county... and property to secede from a municipality.
The economics probably isn't that hard...

FTL_Ian

AntonLee

do you guys still do that Vendetta on Sundays?  I'm really trying to get my girlfriend to agree on Keene. . . so far she's agreed to NH and is warm on Grafton.  I want to get her out to Keene (and go for the first time myself) to check it out.

I already KNOW where I want to live.

FTL_Ian

Jared

seems to me that porcs are already doing this is keene and (lord knows why) seabrook.

AntonLee

Quote from: Jared on September 25, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFT
seems to me that porcs are already doing this is keene and (lord knows why) seabrook.

I love Seabrook, some of the brookers I could do without since I grew up along side their rock throwing inbred asses since I was a kid.   If there was a town on the east coast that was a site for a porc to live, it'd be the 'brook. 

however

I think Seabrook has quite a long way to go, a really really long way.  I want to move west, young man.

Jared

Quote from: AntonLee on September 25, 2008, 04:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jared on September 25, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFT

I love Seabrook, some of the brookers I could do without since I grew up along side their rock throwing inbred asses since I was a kid.   If there was a town on the east coast that was a site for a porc to live, it'd be the 'brook. 

however

I think Seabrook has quite a long way to go, a really really long way.  I want to move west, young man.

to be honest, i'd probably move to either deerfield or keene, except that where i am now i have a halfway decent job (at least, for someone with little college under his belt) and my family lives less then half an hour away. i have the rare porcupine luxury of having my family nearby (although sometimes that isn't really much of a luxury :P)

AntonLee

I have my family nearby too. . . I was a born masshole.

my family epitomize the word 'masshole'

so I hear you about them being close

David

A nonviolent Secession, hmm, yea, that would be pretty cool.  It would seem to be a logical extention of our efforts. 

BTW, Jared, the more you post, the more I would love to see you in Keene.   :)

John Edward Mercier

It would have to be non-violent to suceed. But I'm not sure how to secede from the State... I can think of a few ways to limit interaction with... and I'm not sure it requires a specific location, more so the consensual agreement of those within the geographic region of the new town/enclave.

FTL_Ian

Word choice suggestion:

Peaceful instead of nonviolent.

Be FOR instead of AGAINST.
8)