• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Feds Disallow All Recording Devices in "Court" - Possible CD?

Started by FTL_Ian, September 25, 2008, 11:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Nat F

Quote from: DadaOrwell on September 25, 2008, 07:12 PM NHFT
Quote from: exCA Mike on September 25, 2008, 07:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on September 25, 2008, 06:58 PM NHFT
- We don't have the technology yet to *broadcast* a video signal from the metal detector area.   It is possible that none of the video clips would survive, save those shot from off-property.  It's a battle on ground where they have the advantage.
The technology does exist. There is software and a service called Qik that allows your video-cam-equipped phone to stream video live to the web. This means that if your phone/video camera is confiscated byt he police (which would indeed suck), and even if the police erased the contents, the evidence is already on the web; you can download it to your computer later and forward it to YouTube, etc. It does not work on my phone yet, so I cannot volunteer to do this. There are other companies offering similar services, too.

yes but do *we* have the technology?   

We do have the technology. 
http://qik.com/video/310401
Streamed from Taproom Tuesday on 9/17.

-Nat

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Nat F on September 25, 2008, 07:31 PM NHFT
We do have the technology. 
http://qik.com/video/310401
Streamed from Taproom Tuesday on 9/17.

-Nat
Excellent! As you can see, the video quality is poor, but not so poor that you can't identify a person or understand what is happening. And the audio is fine. Thanks for the demo, Nat.

J’raxis 270145

the only arrests if any that we trigger, should be people they've never had to arrest before.  That sends the message of the hydra...cut one head off and a new one  appears in its place.  Of course, heads can appear that don't get arrested.

At least half of the people at the demonstration on Wednesday were not at the demo outside the Valley St. Jail for Lauren, which took place just about a year ago. I'm sure the feds are noticing stuff like this, too. >:D

FTL_Ian

CON:

- We don't have the technology yet to *broadcast* a video signal from the metal detector area.   It is possible that none of the video clips would survive, save those shot from off-property.  It's a battle on ground where they have the advantage.
Not if we have more people than they do.  Someone could easily pocket a tape during all the confusion, or escape through the front doors.  They'd have to confiscate a LOT of cameras.

Quote- There isn't much time to get news releases ready and distributed. It's too late for letters to the editor announcing it in advance.  
True.  Certainly this would work anytime we feel like doing it, so the future is fine.

Quote- In Fedminds, this is not a crack down...more of a compromise or a robotic dispensation of law.

Probably what I would do is try and videotape "within the rules" whatever I can from the sidewalk,  if others try to break their rules at the detector.   
In case I wasn't clear, I was intending people enter the "foyer" prior to the detector, and just film and ask questions.  I'm sure they'd make up some rule about no cameras anywhere, but the protest would be intended for just outside their security zone.

David

When going into the courthouse, they have a metal detector, much like an airport, they hold your cell, and presumably anything electronic.  Any hidden recorders would have to be disguised as something nonelectronic.  

Puke

Quote from: David on September 25, 2008, 09:47 PM NHFT
When going into the courthouse, they have a metal detector, much like an airport, they hold your cell, and presumably anything electronic.  Any hidden recorders would have to be disguised as something nonelectronic.  

Not true. Metal detectors aren't that sensitive. A small voice recorder would not set it off.
The detector wands on the other hand likely will.
But if you show up dressed in a suit and looking like you are not affiliated with the main group I doubt that much scrutiny will be paid to you.

J’raxis 270145

Posting on the forum ideas on how to evade detection is a good way to make sure they know exactly what to look for, no?

slim

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 26, 2008, 08:36 AM NHFT
Posting on the forum ideas on how to evade detection is a good way to make sure they know exactly what to look for, no?

I guess. The feds would have to look for the guy in the suit going in to the fed courthouse just like all the other guys in suits going in to the fed courthouse. That is like having someone look for a needle in a haystack of needles.

Also by putting your ideas out there others can look at the idea and point out flaws or use them as a building block for another idea.

If there was 100 ideas about how to get around the security do you think the feds could modify their procedures to stop the 100 ideas from being effective? And even if they could modify their procedures the new procedures would inevitably have new holes to be exploited.

There is no such thing as perfect security. Every lock, code, and procedure can and will be broken. 

KBCraig

Quote from: Puke on September 26, 2008, 05:11 AM NHFT
Not true. Metal detectors aren't that sensitive. A small voice recorder would not set it off.

That depends on how they're programmed. Some are extremely sensitive, especially when set to alarm on "all metals" and not just ferrous metals. The miniscule amount of aluminum in a gum wrapper or cigarette package will set them off. So will the spring in an ordinary retractable plastic ballpoint pen. Or a USB memory stick. Or the various magnetic strips on cards in your wallet.

I deal with these hassles every day when I go to work.

Puke

Quote from: KBCraig on September 26, 2008, 10:38 AM NHFT
That depends on how they're programmed. Some are extremely sensitive, especially when set to alarm on "all metals" and not just ferrous metals. The miniscule amount of aluminum in a gum wrapper or cigarette package will set them off. So will the spring in an ordinary retractable plastic ballpoint pen. Or a USB memory stick. Or the various magnetic strips on cards in your wallet.

I deal with these hassles every day when I go to work.

I doubt the ones at a courthouse are that sensitive. But I don't really know.

As for whether or not stuff like this should be discussed; I don't believe them to be that competent.

lildog

Quote from: Giggan on September 25, 2008, 06:51 PM NHFT
There are disposable video cameras. They're a little too pricey to use consistantly, but I imagine ideal for these situations.

I hope you aren't purchasing a new one every time...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/419684/single_use_video_camera_hack_use_it_over_and_over/

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: slim on September 26, 2008, 09:50 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 26, 2008, 08:36 AM NHFT

I guess. The feds would have to look for the guy in the suit going in to the fed courthouse just like all the other guys in suits going in to the fed courthouse. That is like having someone look for a needle in a haystack of needles.

Also by putting your ideas out there others can look at the idea and point out flaws or use them as a building block for another idea.

We were doing just that after the trial, talking about various methods of concealment—but in person, where there wasn't anyone around listening to us. Needless to say, the few ideas I thought were good and which I might try out I'm not going to post to a forum that the Feds do read.

miamiballoonguy

FTL_Ian

Is anyone interested in this?  I'd consider doing it with only 2-3 cameramen.

Russell Kanning

I like the idea ... you could just leave with the tape when you are rejected and upload it later.
I will not be participating .... other than being filmed by you hooligans ;)