• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ian summoned to court - 10-01-08

Started by Coconut, September 26, 2008, 12:11 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on October 02, 2008, 05:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 02, 2008, 10:50 AM NHFT
I don't see how this would help anything.

And such retaliation against people who call the cops would only make us look bad: I could easily see someone comparing the movement to the Mafia, or a street gang, or any other group that tries to intimidate people to "stop snitching."

I think it would help a lot.  People need to be made aware of what a volatile ingredient they're handling when they telephone police rather than deal with the situation themselves. 
I'm reminded of a story covered by FTL (from last year, I believe) concerning a grandmother who'd phoned the cops on a kid over some adolescent infraction or another.  He ended up getting beaten to death (for some consolation, it was caught on camera).  That hasn't happened to Ian (yet, I might cautiously qualify), but such incidents, from the inconvenient to the atrocious, happen daily due to public perception of a benevolent State.  The attitude has to change somehow, and this would be as good a starting point as any. 
Naturally, I'd prefer it if such remedies weren't necessary, but I believe they are, and have been for far too long.

And how is confronting her and making yourself look like a jerk going to convince her that the State is the non-benevolent one in this whole matter?

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 02, 2008, 06:38 PM NHFT
And how is confronting her and making yourself look like a jerk going to convince her that the State is the non-benevolent one in this whole matter?

She's the one who behaved like a jerk, and allied herself with the (non-benevolent) State.  Forgiveness gives her no reason to refrain from doing it again in the future. 

lastlady

Be the change you seek in the world. If we want people to stop relying on the State to solve their problems we must do so, and show by example. If you want people to feel compassion and start to have understanding, treat them with kindness and show them compassion and forgiveness. The old saying you get more with sugar than you do spice is very true. In this situation I would definitely try to befriend the neighbor, if it doesn't work, harassing her still won't make anything better for anyone.

Jim Johnson

Ian should bring a nice gift... like some cookies or a potpourri... Chea-pets are nice.

dalebert

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on October 02, 2008, 09:36 PM NHFT
Ian should bring a nice gift... like some cookies or a potpourri... Chea-pets are nice.

That's an excellent idea. If it were me, I'd bake her something but I don't think Ian's into that. :)

Sam A. Robrin

lastlady

Oh yeah, baking is the way to go but she might be suspicious. Someone once left me food at my door and I was immediately paranoid and felt horrible when I found out is was my boss chef who was just being thoughtful.  :)

Russell Kanning

I know .... Dale can make goodies for all of our neighbors. :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Coconut on October 02, 2008, 06:28 AM NHFT

pretty obvious in the court that they have no interest in answering any questions, they just want to run you through the machinery ... and they will send thugs to shove you into it.

John

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 02, 2008, 10:45 AM NHFTI forgive her.

This, I think, is the 100% best ending to the matter.

I hope - and trust - that the neighbor's anonymity is respected so if anyone is cherishing some twisted sense of petty revenge they will have nowhere to go with it.

dalebert

Yeah, I think if Ian does get to meet her and work things out, he should only speak of her anonymously in relating the events.

cynthia

I vote for Chia pet! They are the most reviled at Yankee Swaps! Can you grow some pot in one...? that would be cute.

It should be looked at as an opportunity for civil resolution, to show her that a better approach would have been to introduce herself beforehand, with cookies of her own, and inquire about the couch that seems to be bothering her. Showing her that going through the state channels has resulted in unintended consequences(what else is new) may provide an opportunity for further (liberty)dialogue.

Generally, atleast in the Northeast, neighborhoods are filled with some people who take much pride in their property and those that don't treat it as such a high priority.  For the most part, the "respectables" just tend to gossip about them, solidifying the social barrier and/or lawn pecking order.  When someone actually goes to lengths to make a formal complaint it is a perfect example of trying to exert control over another human being. That is why it is so important to have the right to face your accuser. The larger the bureaucracy grows, the more anonymity seeps in.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: cynthia on October 03, 2008, 11:53 AM NHFT
It should be looked at as an opportunity for civil resolution, to show her that a better approach would have been to introduce herself beforehand, with cookies of her own, and inquire about the couch that seems to be bothering her. Showing her that going through the state channels has resulted in unintended consequences(what else is new) may provide an opportunity for further (liberty)dialogue.

I hope you're right, though my experience doesn't make me optimistic that you are.  Libertarians tend to practice the psychological principle of projection--but, contrary to the defense-mechanism nature of the concept, they project their virtues (fairness, reason, logic, regard for truth, consideration of other points of view, willingness to admit error) onto their opponents, and expect to see results based on the faulty perceptions that result.
     Very possibly, Ian may pull it off--I've admired for some time now the skill he has for rhetorical engagement of the opposition, which I tried for years to develop, and never quite could.  Of course, it can have value only if we see evidence of long-term effects.  Too often, those encounters end with "You've given me a lot to think about," which tends to translate into "I'm going to do whatever it takes to forget ever having been exposed to anything remotely resembling the ideas you've just brought me so uncomfortably close to" . . .

FTL_Ian

They have scheduled a "trial" without my consent and without me understanding the proceedings against me for 10/29 at 10am in Keene "district court".

John

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 03, 2008, 12:22 PM NHFTThey have scheduled a "trial" without my consent and without me understanding the proceedings against me for 10/29 at 10am in Keene "district court".

Does this mean no meeting with the neighbor? Does it mean the city of Keene just wants "its" pound of flesh?