• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Newport School District Fails AYP for Sixth Year!

Started by Little Owl, September 26, 2008, 06:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Owl

As one of the unfortunate residents whose hard-earned easily confiscated tax dollars go to Newport School District, I was amazed to learn of the colossal failure of Newport Middle High School.  Even for a government school, this is going too far.

http://www.eagletimes.com/ET/Story/080924-aa-nptschoolsNCLB

What's worse, the district held a public meeting (as required by law) and made it clear to anyone familiar with public ed that they don't plan to do a damn thing about it.  They held this meeting because they've failed under No Child Left Behind for six con-fricking-secutive years.  It was casually mentioned that they've been failing in Literature for three years, but as that's a drop in the bucket by comparison, they don't seem too keen on even pretending to care about that problem.

Among the countless miserable public school districts I've encountered in my days, I've never seen one in such desperate need of an enema.  I give the admin credit for having the jewels to actually look members of the public in the face when telling us about this!  I'd hide in the corner if I had to make such a report to my employer.

J’raxis 270145

Clearly more money is needed to edumacate our children... ;D

lastlady

Well I'm no fan of the No Child Left Behind crap, so maybe their doing a great job! Maybe the children are actually learning something. I know I know, probably not! I would guess if that were the case one would get that impression.

Little Owl

QuoteClearly more money is needed to edumacate our children...

You don't even know me, but you're already a master at getting under my skin!! >:(
(And yes, one of their many overpaid underskilled teachers actually had the gall to make that suggestion!)

I'm no fan of NCLB either (the federal dept. of ed. being unconstitutional because it is not explicitly authorized), but when a school fails their ridiculously low standards, you know its bad.

At the meeting, many parents who know first hand agreed that Newport's math program sucks.  Not one parent defended it.  They have to send their Calculus students to Sunapee because they can't find a Calculus teacher.  (I can understand though.  Its advanced stuff.  Its only been around for 300 YEARS!)

lastlady

Huh???

Quote from: Little Owl on September 26, 2008, 11:06 PM NHFT

You don't even know me, but you're already a master at getting under my skin!! >:(
(And yes, one of their many overpaid underskilled teachers actually had the gall to make that suggestion!)

I'm no fan of NCLB either (the federal dept. of ed. being unconstitutional because it is not explicitly authorized), but when a school fails their ridiculously low standards, you know its bad.

At the meeting, many parents who know first hand agreed that Newport's math program sucks.  Not one parent defended it.  They have to send their Calculus students to Sunapee because they can't find a Calculus teacher.  (I can understand though.  Its advanced stuff.  Its only been around for 300 YEARS!)

Little Owl

lastlady

Quote from: Little Owl on September 27, 2008, 01:08 PM NHFT
Could you be more specific about that "Huh?"?

Maybe you should read my post again, if you are talking to me, I can't tell. But I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Your post makes no sense. If you are referring to J'raxis I think you have missed the sarcastic nature of his comment.

J’raxis 270145

This was sarcasm. Was the ;D mark and Homer Simpson spelling of educate not obvious enough?

Little Owl

Ok, I guess I wasn't too plain.  Yes, I knew J'raxis' post was sarcastic (I can't imagine finding too many NHFree posters who buy into that union "more money" line.)  If I thought you were serious, I would have laid out some of the countless reasons that government schools don't need more money.  (And I also would have expected an angry response to my "overpaid underskilled" comment)

And lastlady, I also knew you weren't disagreeing.  I just thought I would add some of the specifics about the gross failures in Newport beyond the NCLB testing failures (which are justifiably suspect.)

Wow.  Tough crowd.  I guess I shouldn't have expected the people on this board to be surprised at such colossal failure in government education.  The general public is much more clueless.  They're the ones who are surprised this has happened.  I can't say it was a shocker to me.

What was truly amazing at this meeting was the excuse making from the District staff.  They STILL can't accept that they're a failure.

lastlady

I can understand you are upset. I don't own a home, or any property, so I don't pay property taxes although my family members do. But I will never send my children, if I have any, to a public school. I won't pay much attention to their failures either, other than to speak for the abolishment of the Department of Education. I understand many parents find they have no choice and I hear horror stories all the time.

Nope doesn't surprise anyone here, and I can't imagine many jumping to fix it. I prefer to focus on Home Schooling and alternative forms of education. Imagine a world where no one enrolled in their public schools...

I hope for you that you find something that works and solve this situation.

Quote from: Little Owl on September 27, 2008, 07:55 PM NHFT
Ok, I guess I wasn't too plain.  Yes, I knew J'raxis' post was sarcastic (I can't imagine finding too many NHFree posters who buy into that union "more money" line.)  If I thought you were serious, I would have laid out some of the countless reasons that government schools don't need more money.  (And I also would have expected an angry response to my "overpaid underskilled" comment)

And lastlady, I also knew you weren't disagreeing.  I just thought I would add some of the specifics about the gross failures in Newport beyond the NCLB testing failures (which are justifiably suspect.)

Wow.  Tough crowd.  I guess I shouldn't have expected the people on this board to be surprised at such colossal failure in government education.  The general public is much more clueless.  They're the ones who are surprised this has happened.  I can't say it was a shocker to me.

What was truly amazing at this meeting was the excuse making from the District staff.  They STILL can't accept that they're a failure.

John Edward Mercier

So is Newport openning the parental choice section of the NCLB?

Little Owl

lastlady, I am among the fortunate in that I have both the capability to educate my children outside of government schools and the wisdom to know that I must do so.

And yes, I have no great interest in "fixing" Newport schools.  I believe they are beyond repair and should be closed down.  But I am VERY interested in liberating my neighbors who are not as fortunate as me.  There is great fear among parents enslaved by this system and many will not speak out.  I feel dutybound to help them.

QuoteSo is Newport openning the parental choice section of the NCLB?

Surely you're joking!  Technically, Newport should have been offering choice under NCLB since 2005 when they entered their third year of math failure.  Some parents have indicated to me that they have not been offered choice or been informed of this failure, both of which are required by law.  At the meeting, someone asked Virginia Irwin about choice.  She said Newport would not offer choice because "We're the only game in town".  (That's the problem, duh!)

I read the statute on the New Hampshire department of Ed website. (http://www.ed.state.nh.us/education/doe/NCLB/sanctions.htm#Public School Choice).  Nowhere does it say that districts are absolved of their legal responsibility because the other schools are too far away.  I think its time to press the issue.