• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Question about getting a concealed carry permit

Started by Raineyrocks, September 29, 2008, 11:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Quote from: sandm000 on September 30, 2008, 08:47 AM NHFT
Buy A JA nine (or some other worthless plinker) to give up when they come to your door, act reluctant, but cooperate.  Make sure that your good guns are elsewhere at the time.  They've taken your gun, so they feel good, and won't be on any lists.

Oh okay, thanks!  :)  So guns don't have a specific number or anything the ATF form just states that you bought one?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat McCotter on September 30, 2008, 08:49 AM NHFT
Also, a carry license doesn't mean you own a gun, just that you are allowed to carry one concealed.

I've decided not to get one though just because I'm paranoid and plus they might search you if you have a license and then find your gun, right?  :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Romak on September 30, 2008, 10:06 AM NHFT
Dont kid yourself if you own a firearm expecially if you bought one since the early 90s they already know you have one. Buy privately if you can find what you like its the safer route. But in the end the powers that be can pretty much deduce who owns firearms and who doesnt. Its totally unconstitutional that they continue to do this but in the end it wont really matter anyway not much they can do about it on a broad scale. There are just way too many gun owners and way too many guns for them to deal with. Go for it or if you dont want to just carry openly without one.

I'd love to buy privately but there is a transfer form or something that people like to have you fill out.  I used to hang out with bikers and should have taken advantage of that stuff but I didn't know about this government crap then and now I can't get in touch with anyone from the past thanks to one of my old boyfriends, long story  :P!

I was thinking about this:  What if people just say they lost their guns or took them apart and threw them away if these scums ever come collecting?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kevin Dean on September 30, 2008, 12:23 PM NHFT
Quote...concealed carry permit...

Do they permit you to carry concealed if you don't have one?

QuoteIf I fill out an application for a concealed carry permit and let's just say martial law was declared or whatever "gun grabbing" things there are would it be easier to know that I have a gun because I applied and it's on file in the sheriff's office?

QuoteBuy A JA nine (or some other worthless plinker) to give up when they come to your door, act reluctant, but cooperate.  Make sure that your good guns are elsewhere at the time.

Not to sound fatalistic, but that makes the assumption they're after the guns. An often cited axiom of the pro-gun lobby is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. This is true in the reverse too. I'd figure that if you're REALLY worried about martial law worst-cases it's better not to fill out the paperwork at all because if they REALLY deem you a threat they'll take YOU away, not the guns.

Remember, it's not a secret if other people know.

I am confused, sorry. :BangHead:    How do I not fill out paperwork if the only place for me to get a gun is at a gun shop?  I don't need details online so I guess  I shouldn't have really asked but I was only asking about the concealed carry permit or license.     I'm just confused about the martial law worst-case stuff, they can't take me if I don't let them.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Giggan on September 30, 2008, 12:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kevin Dean on September 30, 2008, 12:23 PM NHFT
Quote...concealed carry permit...

Do they permit you to carry concealed if you don't have one?

No, but you don't need their permission to get one, which is necessary to remind them of if they ever treat it like a permit, which try to often.

I don't get it, if we don't need their permission then why do we have to get one?  :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kevin Dean on September 30, 2008, 03:08 PM NHFT
Quotewell...you should definately NOT just carry a gun without a permit...i mean...that would be insane

Open carry is legal in New Hampshire. More and more, I'm convinced that the greatest power of a gun is it's ability to deter crime. I think it's a much more powerful thing to PREVENT situations where lethal force is being used on either side than it is to have lethal force handy if you need it (thought I don't discount that at all).

Open carry without a permit is just fine. Work with Dennis and push for elimination of the whole "in a car is concealed" thing. :)

I would love to open carry but this gun shop owner said if anyone gets nervous over seeing someone with a gun they could call the cops and it's up to the cops discretion, (sp?), to take the gun away or not.   Is that true?   

Lloyd Danforth

Raineyrocks

doobie

Quote from: raineyrocks on September 30, 2008, 07:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 30, 2008, 07:35 AM NHFT
Yes.

Of course, remember the same is true if you ever buy a gun from a firearms dealer, because of the ATF form.

I thought about that too, (the ATF form), but how the heck do you get around that one?  :-\    I didn't put my SS# down, (at least I don't think I had to), but so what they have my name etc.  :-\

Also, most of those forms are NOT in ATF hands.  So long as the dealer is still in business they retain the paper work.  The ATF *does* receive a call for the NICS (NCIS?) check, but they haven't a clue what you buy (unless you buy more than one handgun at a time; then that is reported to the ATF).

And even so....even if you bought 1000 firearms with 1000 4473's over a 10 year period... when they come a knocking, you:

A) don't answer.
B) eww, I decided guns are evil and sold or destroyed all of my firearms.  The destroyed ones I cut the receivers into 4 pieces (legally I think you only need 3 pieces) and dumped them in the trash.
C) Three officers were just here a few hours ago.  I thought they were suspicious after they were walked away and seemed to be laughing.  Do you think they really work police/military or omg, do you think they were criminals confiscating my guns?

doobie

Quote from: raineyrocks on September 30, 2008, 07:43 PM NHFT
Quote from: sandm000 on September 30, 2008, 08:47 AM NHFT
Buy A JA nine (or some other worthless plinker) to give up when they come to your door, act reluctant, but cooperate.  Make sure that your good guns are elsewhere at the time.  They've taken your gun, so they feel good, and won't be on any lists.

Oh okay, thanks!  :)  So guns don't have a specific number or anything the ATF form just states that you bought one?

Even in MA they do not have a 'number'.  They have how many you have bought, but do not track how many you sell.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteI would love to open carry but this gun shop owner said if anyone gets nervous over seeing someone with a gun they could call the cops and it's up to the cops discretion, (sp?), to take the gun away or not.   Is that true?

Legally, unless you're a convicted felon you have the right to possess and openly carry a firearm in the state of New Hampshire. You don't need a permit, license, hula-hoop or magical incantation.

Of course, practically speaking, the cops have guns and they have this percieved image of authority to they might very well try to take your gun and lie to you. If that happens, make sure you get a reciept and keep the Porc411 number handy.

As to the gun store owner who told you that... I'd go back, let him know he's wrong, and inform him that because he's a moron intent on making you fearful of exercising your rights, you'll happily spend your money with his competition. Maybe he won't try to scare someone else away.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: doobie on September 30, 2008, 08:45 PM NHFT
Yes.

Of course, remember the same is true if you ever buy a gun from a firearms dealer, because of the ATF form.

I thought about that too, (the ATF form), but how the heck do you get around that one?  :-\    I didn't put my SS# down, (at least I don't think I had to), but so what they have my name etc.  :-\

Also, most of those forms are NOT in ATF hands.  So long as the dealer is still in business they retain the paper work.  The ATF *does* receive a call for the NICS (NCIS?) check, but they haven't a clue what you buy (unless you buy more than one handgun at a time; then that is reported to the ATF).

And even so....even if you bought 1000 firearms with 1000 4473's over a 10 year period... when they come a knocking, you:

A) don't answer.
B) eww, I decided guns are evil and sold or destroyed all of my firearms.  The destroyed ones I cut the receivers into 4 pieces (legally I think you only need 3 pieces) and dumped them in the trash.
C) Three officers were just here a few hours ago.  I thought they were suspicious after they were walked away and seemed to be laughing.  Do you think they really work police/military or omg, do you think they were criminals confiscating my guns?

I love it, thanks!  :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kevin Dean on September 30, 2008, 08:49 PM NHFT
QuoteI would love to open carry but this gun shop owner said if anyone gets nervous over seeing someone with a gun they could call the cops and it's up to the cops discretion, (sp?), to take the gun away or not.   Is that true?

Legally, unless you're a convicted felon you have the right to possess and openly carry a firearm in the state of New Hampshire. You don't need a permit, license, hula-hoop or magical incantation.

Of course, practically speaking, the cops have guns and they have this percieved image of authority to they might very well try to take your gun and lie to you. If that happens, make sure you get a reciept and keep the Porc411 number handy.

As to the gun store owner who told you that... I'd go back, let him know he's wrong, and inform him that because he's a moron intent on making you fearful of exercising your rights, you'll happily spend your money with his competition. Maybe he won't try to scare someone else away.

Okay, thanks!  :)   It didn't seem like he was trying to scare me away I think he really believed what he was saying, maybe he meant what you wrote, like if a jerk cop thinks he can take it he will.

J’raxis 270145

Yes.

Private sales between individuals who know each other, where the seller is not in the business of selling firearms, are not required to use these forms. Only holders of Federal Firearms Licenses (people in the business of selling) are.

Pat McCotter

If you want to buy a handgun - I'm not going to talk long guns, they are different - and you are living in NH you can buy one any number of ways but I will talk about two.

Buy from a private party.

Legally the seller must know who you are and that you are a NH resident - or you must have a pistol/revolver license that tells the seller that the local government has done whatever it does to ensure that you are not a bad girl and that you live in NH. You give money (or whatever the seller is looking for in trade) and get the gun. No paperwork required, though some sellers want a bill of sale. This will let them prove that they sold it legally and no longer own it if it is used in a crime in the future and the gun is traced to them. If the seller does require paperwork you don't have to buy from them.

Buy from a dealer - in NH.

The dealer must have a federal license to sell guns. The buyer must have identification showing they live in NH. The buyer fills out the ATF form 4473 which the dealer uses to call the instant background check system (NICS). If you are not listed adversely in NICS the dealer sells you the gun and files the paperwork - in their own files. ATF 4473 includes the mfr, model, serial number, type and size of the gun being transferred. You must fill out this paperwork to buy from a dealer.

Others can talk about the buying of handguns from out of state dealers for transfer to you in state.

ATF 4473 Sample
Page 01
Page 02
Page 03
Page 04